User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 11:59 AM   #106
jakbrand
93 octane

Oddometer: 140
Departing Point Sublime

I could have camped at Point Sublime for days, but needed to stay on schedule.

Grand Canyon

Dwip and I ate a modest breakfast, packed our camp gear and headed north through Kaibab National Forest to Jacobs Lake for fuel.

Sublime Road

Trying to rendezvous with ET and Tbang would be at best, an exercise in futility. Yesterday we lost hope of crossing paths out in the desert. Eventually, we would see them again in Moab. I felt sorry for the boys, because they were missing the highlight of the tour.

Kaibab National Forest

jakbrand screwed with this post 06-29-2012 at 12:23 PM
jakbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #107
jakbrand
93 octane

Traffic Jam

in the wilderness.

After Jacobs Lake Dwip and I continued north on Arizona's Great Western Trail and crossed back into Utah. We rolled along Utah's Great Western Trail for hours flanked by sage brush and juniper stands without encountering a single soul. Beautiful.

Trekking up Seaman Wash I could not believe my eyes when I rounded a sandy berm and saw the clean line clogged with motos. Son of a Biscuit! Wait a second....It's ET and Tbang!

jakbrand screwed with this post 06-29-2012 at 01:22 PM
jakbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #108
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,202
Grand Utah Roulette Day 4 (Part 3)

Southern approach until the first few climbs up to Bryce…very sandy…KTM 450's and 530's did great, simply get them up to 3rd gear and go...

WR 250 struggled in 1st or 2nd…

Refueling the rental KTM prior to the initial climbs up to Bryce:

View after a few climbs:

The unmistakable formations of Bryce Canyon without the tourists, crowds, cars, campers, motorhomes…priceless:

We skipped the final section of ATV trails and took the main road…It was a race to Tropic Reservoir campsite as the sun went down…

Tropic Reservoir and the rented KTM…

After almost two full days with the KTM and after having ridden the WR250R for the better part of three years, I can say that having those extra 20 HP and the race ready suspension make a huge difference in the technical sections, especially sand.

When we finally go to the campsite, I was ready to heat up some water, add it to my soup mix, eat and crash, the rest went for a real . I was sleeping when they came back…

Overall a great day and the half way point of the Grand Utah Roulette. What else could go wrong?

Road Reports by ejtv click here

ejtv screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 05:19 PM
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #109
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Grand Utah Roulette Day 5 (Part 1)

Good morning! Look mom, I'm missing two teeth!

So Dwip actually needed the new front cog after all!

Getting ready was slower today. Cold. Plan was to ride up to Ruby's for breakfast and fuel:

And then catch the Fremont Trail going north all the way to our next fuel, water and lunch stop--Circleville, boyhood home of Butch Cassidy:

Final descent into Circleville:

And lunch break!

One happy family at Circleville…(there IS gas there, you just have to look hard…it's at the RV Park & Country Store, a bit out of sight…but shaded picnic tables and a good store for snacks, water, soda, etc.)

…A picture perfect first half of the day!!!

What could go wrong now?

ejtv screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 07:11 PM
Old 06-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #110
Tbang
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I was not expecting this...

Jakbrand, after reliving the trip via this RR, I've got a question for you...Was there a single trail that turned out as you WERE expecting?
Tbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #111
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Grand Utah Roulette Day 5 (Part 2)

From Circleville we headed east to the Paiute ATV TH and began our climb north into the Fishlake NF.

From a very hot 6,000 feet…

to aspen forests at about 8,000 feet...

to just above treeline at a cool 9,000 feet...

and just less than a mile after I took the above 3 pics, when we were ahead of schedule and seemed to have settled into a nice leisurely pace with temps in the cool 70's…

This….

My rented KTM just quit

Gas…check…kill switch…check…air box…check...fuel line..checked all the way from the tank to the carburetor…nothing...

We had 10% battery on the only iPhone with reception…one bar...thank you Verizon….when will ATT get your kind of coverage?…text to Jim at Dual Sport Utah for tips…he responded with "check for spark"…we did and texted back "no spark"…

A few minutes later another text from Jim: "where are you?"

He was not going to believe what we texted next: Paiute ATV Trail near Circleville…

"What???"…I am certain nobody had ridden one of his KTM's 225 miles away from Moab….

And then: "What's the closest paved road? I will bring you a new bike"...

We texted: intersection of Paiute ATV Trail and SR 62, east of Kingston…

He answered: "OK"….and next our Verizon iPhone battery proceeded to die…oh, our USB Powerlet phone charger had died earlier too...

After a short discussion, the whole group, fools, decided to return and wait with me for Jim at SR 62, 10 miles south...

I took out the trusted little rope:

And once again, Tbang towed me...

Here we are at the Freemont and Paiute THs, where we decided to set up camp and freshen up in the East Fork Sevier River…while jakbrand went back to Circleville via pavement to hunt and gather…

coming back with 7 piping hot homemade bacon cheeseburgers with local grass fed beef, fries, fry-sauce (a Utah concoction served everywhere: mayo, ketchup and secret spices), water, soda, etc. from Dottie's home cookin' at the Circleville Cafe

In case you have not noticed yet, jakbrand finds his Sidi boots so comfortable that he sleeps with them on …there isn't one picture this whole trip where he doesn't have them on…

We went to bed wondering if Jim would show up or not and what the next day would bring…

ejtv screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 06:31 PM
Old 06-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #112
jakbrand
93 octane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbang View Post
Jakbrand, after reliving the trip via this RR, I've got a question for you...Was there a single trail that turned out as you WERE expecting?
Yes. The paved trail between Needles Outpost and Canyonlands NP pay station turned out exactly as I imagined.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:04 AM   #113
EbarDP48
Got Adventure?

Oddometer: 814
ejtv,
Seems that little rope I spotted wrapped up in your rear wheel came in handy on more than one occasion. So, what accessory will you always bring with you from here on out? And I think I remember Jakbrand saying," We don't need no stinkin rope!"
Bert

Once you've gone adventure, you can never go back.
============================
09 KTM 530, 07 KTM 300 XC, 07 Triumph Tiger,1967 Honda P50, 2001 Honda XR70,
EbarDP48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #114
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Grand Utah Roulette Day 6 (Part 1)

At 1 AM the sound of tires crunching gravel wake me up:

Jim delivering a new KTM to the Freemont/Paiute TH:

Jim is a hyperactive talkative guy, there he is above showing off his new camera and wildlife pics, who loves to show his videos and pictures. A jack of all trades: river runner, KTM renter, taxi-driver, movie crew/equipment transporter. After exchanging a couple of pleasentries he gets to work trying to start the old bike once, then exchanges CDI ignition boxes, tries again, nothing, and gives up, it seems like it is something a bit more complicated,we unload a new bike, load the old one, and we proceed to watch pictures and moto videos until his wife called him, OK, OK, I'm on my way. I thank him for responding to our needs, he says that's part of the business…"it doesn't happen very often, but I stand by my customers." I can only say that he could have waited until the next day for a time convenient to him, or complain about how far away we were, or charge me an arm and a leg, but no, he covered my back.

I highly recommend his KTM/Gas Gas rental outfit to all of you out there for your Moab moto and other transportation needs.

Below is the sunrise at the Paiute THL (lower right hand corner of the pic), the southwestern leg of the Fishlake Cutoff of the Old Spanish Trail along the East Fork of the Sevier River.

The Old Spanish Trail was the first major "highway" across the SW US, a 1200 mile trade route put together and used by Spanish explorers and merchants from the mid 1700's until the mid 1800's, partly knitting indigenous indian trails, partly taking advantage of the geography, partly pure will. "The general route of the Old Spanish Trail began at Santa Fe, NM and looped northward through central Utah to avoid the deep river gorges of the Colorado River before descending down across western Utah to the artesian springs located at Las Vegas. This was a significant watering hole before heading off across the dry Mohave Desert and onward to the San Gabriel Mission near Los Angeles." It has to be considered as one of the most difficult and commercially risky trade routes ever established in the US, all by private entrepreneurs, without the help of modern technology, and without tax subsidies nor DOT, OSHA, Worker's Comp, Obamacare, etc. Blankets and woolen goods from New Mexico were exchanged for burros, mules, horses. The trail had a series of shortcuts, including this one going through our campsite, taking advantage of better terrain, grazing lands for livestock, water, I assume fishing at, where else, Fishlake, etc. If you're history buff and ride motos through these parts, the above link, plus this one, has a ton of info on the Old Spanish Trail. Here's an interactive map. Our Grand Utah Roulette would cross or ride along the Old Spanish Trail at least three times: Kane Creek, Fish Lake, Green River.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #115
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Grand Utah Roulette Day 6 (Part 2)

On the way back down from my hike to take the sunrise picture, I spot Dwip walking to the restrooms when I see his un-staked tent picked up by the wind tumbling across the parking area. I yelled and screamed but he was to busy wiping.

I did catch jakbrand here running across the gravel, without his trusty Sidi boots, to save the day. I could not stop

What? No boots? "I heard someone yelling and I wondered what is going on? When I saw his tent almost to the road, I thought about putting the boots on at first…

We rode to Circleville Cafe for a hearty breakfast. Jakbrand, also a fabulous storyteller, provided us with the morning entertainment. Should have recorded it for his son. We gout out of the cafe way too late…we picked up the Pauite TH and headed north toward Fish Lake.

Already in Fish Lake NF with Pauite Reservoir in the background:

This is Manning Meadows Reservoir:

Koosharem for gas, food, as we start heading mostly east toward our return to Moab, paralleling and meandering I-70:

We debated if we should fill the gas bladders or not, in the end we got an extra 1.5 gal, which proved handy since the next gas station would be at Green River.

Grass Valley Merc was a cool little general store.

Eating and resting across from the store:

Back on track:

Fish Lake below as background, some modeling pics from Dwip:

The final ATV trails at Fish Lake before descending into Cathedral Valley were

With Cathedral Valley looming below, three get to the startling...ready, set, go!

The descent into Cathederal was stunning, the transition from high alpine environment to treeline to desert…breathtaking.

Lunch stop, looking for shade in this little canyon:

As we approached I-70, a lot of sugary sand. Once again, the 250 really struggled. Any kind of slowing down the pace would plunge the 250 into a first gear all out rev to move at 5 MPH. No time for pics…

ejtv screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 04:08 PM
Old 07-01-2012, 07:14 AM   #116
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Grand Utah Roulette Day 6 (Part 3)

As evening fell, we started looking for a suitable area to bush camp:

Ritz Carlton accommodations for Dwip…

Motel 6 for me:

Preparing the last on the road, a choice of ejtv homemade soup mix (declined by all except me) or Mountain House Lasagna with Meatballs:

Last minute phone calls home: hi honey, I'm safe….but haven't taken a shower in a week

Watching the sunset from above:

jakbrand from below took the better sunset pic before we all crashed :

ejtv screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 04:10 PM
Old 07-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #117
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,355
great report, diggin the photos!
Ex 950ADV
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #118
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Grand Utah Roulette Day 7 (Part 1)

The highlights of our last day riding to Moab would be Balck Dragon Canyon and Crystal Geyser Jeep Road…

Black dragon is the closest thing to riding a motorcycle up Zion Canyon or Coyote Gulch, both illegal. This one is not.

Jackbrand's gallery for this trip has a lot of his KTM 531 featured in pictures that I have not included in this report…feels as if they are private pictures, but here's one anyway:

Black Dragon was enjoyed by all, but I on seemingly easy off-camber ATV trail left turns, both times the front end washing from under me. Those knee pads come in handy, my knee still sore a week later…and then I took the wrong turn into a sandy wash, more like a bath tub, and wasted a lot of energy getting out of it. Jakbrand says, give it all you can, you then can take the paved road from Green River to Moab… me

Leaving Black Dragon:

Another underpass before hitting it hard for much needed gas and breakfast at Green River:

At Green River we truly felt assured that if we would have had any emergency needs on the trail that the local EMS would be ready for a timely rescue.

Breakfast at La Veracruzana at Green River hit the spot. I had the huevos machaca, my son the huevos rancheros, and the two gringos in the group the breakfast burritos, all with authentic Mexican flour tortillas, lard and all.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #119
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,411
What gearing were you running on the WR 250R?

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #120
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
What gearing were you running on the WR 250R?
Stock gearing. I do have the FMF exhaust, powerbomb header and power programmer, airbox modification, which gets me probably an additional 5 HP, maybe up to 25HP or so. But I believe the few problems in the sand and specially in steep uphills with sand have little to do with the gearing and more to do with lack of raw power and torque. Am I wrong?