Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #121
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
Deep Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejtv View Post
Stock gearing. I do have the FMF exhaust, powerbomb header and power programmer, airbox modification, which gets me probably an additional 5 HP, maybe up to 25HP or so. But I believe the few problems in the sand and specially in steep uphills with sand have little to do with the gearing and more to do with lack of raw power and torque. Am I wrong?
I am of the opinion that rider ability in deep sand has more to do with it than brute horsepower---this video is pretty good proof of it.

My buddies KLR was buried in really deep sand--and needed no kickstand to hold it up.
I blew by him with full camping and cooking gear----loaded to the hilt-----with a stock motor like he was standing still---which he was .

Watch it.
BigDog

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #122
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,433
Quote:
Stock gearing. I do have the FMF exhaust, powerbomb header and power programmer, airbox modification, which gets me probably an additional 5 HP, maybe up to 25HP or so. But I believe the few problems in the sand and specially in steep uphills with sand have little to do with the gearing and more to do with lack of raw power and torque. Am I wrong?
I'm running 14x49 on mine. It gives you more gears in the power for the really rough stuff. If I keep it wound up I think I can run mine in deep sand using at least second gear and it still be pulling.

I ran fully loaded up Hancock Pass in Co. with 13x49 gearing and had to do some clutch slipping . I know they lack a little power but have not choked it down in deep sand yet with the 14x49.
Sixth gear was virtually unusable for me with stock gearing but I'm a pretty good load. Even with 14x49 my bike will run faster on level ground in 5th gear than it will in 6th . The little bike will go anywhere!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #123
trail717
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Thanks for the trip report!!

Love the father/son angle—I hope to get my son out with me this fall for a few days/nights.

My son has very little bike time-- so the sand comments are of particular interest to me—

hence this ---Mini-hijack

I think there are lots of BIG factors involved with successful riding in deep sand. & while I am no expert I would rate the factors something like this:

1) Rider Skill (including the confidence that only comes from practice-- and the usual stuff—body position/balance, throttle control=appropriate speed to keep the front tire planing along on top of the sand etc etc)

2) Power/torque to Weight ratio (with torque being the important part of the Power side of the equation) ie: The bike (and load) with a stronger low end torque (high Pt/W ratio) will require less rider skill (less throttle control) all else being equal.

4) Overall bike size/load. Less=front tire stays on top of the sand with less rider skill/input

3) Tire type & pressure factor in pretty high on the list

The KTM you used would have the better Pt/W ratio and factors 4 & 3 (& maybe 1) were all in the same ball park—hence a snow ball effect leading to a more relaxed/easier/confident sand experience.

Make sense?
trail717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #124
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,263
Sand

With the exception of that very steep sandy hill, the WR did all I or other more experience riders asked it to do in this trip and all the trips for the last three years. Yes, the WR struggled a bit in deep sand in 1st or 2nd gear at 5, or 10 MPH with its front wheel still too deep in sand, when the KTM's were on 3rd gear at 20, 30 or more MPH. But no, it didn't get stuck in the sand. It just took its time and the rider had little margin for error, no hesitation allowed, no stalling allowed, shifting into 2nd gear had to be very quick to maintain momentum and overall, the rider had to spend more energy controlling the bike. Yes, decreasing tire pressure helps, and I have done so in other trips, such as the west end of Medano Pass CO or when playing in sand dunes. But in Utah, you go from sand wash to sharp steep rocks in a matter of a few feet, making such a technique impractical.

The FMF exhaust mod and the Go-Race suspension have made a huge difference in all matter of terrain and I highly recommend those two mods to other WR owners, but lets be real, the WR250 even with all those mods, a better rider and an orange paint job is no KTM 530.

Glad you all enjoy the RR!

Road Reports by ejtv click here
ejtv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #125
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Grand Utah Roulette Day 7 (Part 2) and Last Day 8

All right back to the RR. Crystal Geyser Jeep Road here we come!

Dwip KTM…The WR did make it up that hill but I have not photo proof...

The upper deck of this hill was a veeery steep with some pretty good ledges and a tight switchback…we all made it…it is steeper than it looks in the picture yada yada yada; and we're glad we didn't have to go up it...

Resting at the one spot with some shade that afternoon:

Last pic before arriving at Moab:

Moab KOA after finishing the Grand Utah Roulette 2012:

We got to Moab around 3 PM. The WR with the flat, the defective fuel pump and the lost key was still there parked at the hotel. The manager had found the key. We dropped it off at one of the local shops to be take care of, did some basic bike maintenance to the other bikes, did laundry, showered, shaved and arranged for transportation to the airport early next morning with Jim from Dual Sport Utah.

We think jakbrand finally took a shower too, not sure if he was still waring his Sidi's...

After returning the KTM in the late afternoon, full gas tank and power washed Jim had reminded me, we asked him for the best steak in Moab. He recommended dinner at Jeffrey's Steak House. When the hostess, Jim's wife BTW, saw us come in, she kindly recommended outside sitting The beef was incredible, American Wagyu Beef from cattle raised in the Japanese feeding method. I selected a very moderately priced cabernet from Moab's own Castle Creek Winery which really surprised me. Highly recommended, the steakhouse and the local cab!!

Next morning we got up around 4:30 am, got all the gear and motos to the storage unit and we waited for Jim to drive us to the airport for the 7 am flight.

Here's Dwip leaving the cabin in his work uniform (commercial airline pilot) hoping he could catch a ride in the jump seat of our plane…

See you all in August when we ride from Moab to Salt Lake City on as much single track as possible.

ejtv screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 10:51 AM
Old 07-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #126
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,744
Awesome RR...

Looking forward to the next installment.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #127
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Pictures and report are entertaining as usual. Thanks.

Any info on the route? I may have overlooked it.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #128
zipper2680
couch traveller

Oddometer: 67
Great report! Thanks for your time!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #129
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Talking Moab to Salt Lake City--Day 1

One week of riding in Aug 2012.

The idea is to pick up our stored motos in Moab, and catch as much dirt and single track and camp out as much as possible on our way to Salt Lake City.

The proposed route:

ejtv and tbang fly from Louisiana:

jakbrand and JB fly from Florida. We meet in Denver airport. Getting on the flight from Denver to Moab:

jakbrand and jb anticipating the dirt of Moab below:

Bad news: ejtv and tbang's luggage doesn't arrive: helmet, protectors, pants, supplies, maps, GPS, etc. Nobody knows where it is. Next flight supposedly gets in tonight but unless they find the duffle, hope is slim…Trip to SLC is supposed to start tomorrow AM…

tbang and ejtv pick up their WR's at Moab Powersports:

jakbrand and JB pick up their KTM and Husaberg in the storage unit:

The third bike, a KTM, belongs to dwip who is flying tomorrow

KOA, waiting for the luggage and the warm up ride around slick rock:

ejtv screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 10:21 PM
Old 08-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #130
Tbang
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for that shot of me sleeping on the plane!
Tbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #131
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,544
THAT was brilliant. However, you're still a long way from Alaska.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #132
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

MoToSalt 2012 Day 1 (cont.)

By the afternoon of Day 1, there was some hope that a late flight to Moab would bring the lost luggage, so there was enough time play around Slickrock. I bought new pants and knee pads, took my old helmet and old chest protector to join the other riders.

Here are jackbrand and jb taking the camera out as us novices attempt the first semi-difficult section that has that downhill right turn hairpin...

It wasn't just a few minutes after the above picture that I crashed after one of the washes…the motorcycle landed on top of my shift lever and a rock ledge…and the tip of the lever fell off…all we could do was turn around back to the trail head on first gear…My son tbang and I nursed it all the way back to the KOA and I started to think about a solution so I could the ride the next morning.

jakbrand and jb went back and finished Slickrock. I am sure he will post some cool pix in a post below.

Here's jackbrand preparing for the next day's first leg toward SLC.

The highlight of what was otherwise a disappointing evening for me, given no luggage arriving, was this: jb, like all riders (teenagers and wannabe teenagers), likes stickers. So he handed out to all of us what he had custom-made for this trip:

ejtv screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 07:03 PM
Old 08-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #133
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,152
Phenomenal
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #134
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
THAT was brilliant. However, you're still a long way from Alaska.

Well, it may take us a few more years than expected…or who knows, we may never get there. So far Utah has been veeery tempting, so much to ride, so little time, and never mind Idaho…so the more I research and ride and the further west I get, the further away Alaska gets…but it's never about the destination.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:52 AM   #135
jakbrand
93 octane

Oddometer: 174
Moab Slickrock

I always jump at the chance to ride Slickrock.

One last look into beautiful Moab Valley before trekking to SLC on MoToSalt 2012.

We finished the day at Zak's for dinner and washed away ET's troubles with a round of refreshing cold bevs thinking all will be fine tomorrow.