Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
Hi!

Will you ship it to EU/Hungary?

regards
Yes, I'll need a bit more of your address

$13usd and I can fit many of them in the same box.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:59 PM   #17
EdGear
Edventurer

Oddometer: 527
Hi
Installed my ADvmonster Voltmeter last night. I used sturdy double stick tape and routed the lead to my switched accessory wires. I mounted the voltmeter behind the faring of my 990 Adventure. I thought this would offer more protection from the elements.

There was a question about readability in bright sunlight, so I rolled my bike out into the bright CA sun. These pictures were from 11:30am with the sun over head, taken with an iPhone4 (5MP).

Direct sun on display, I can't read it or tell its working. You can tell the surfaces are getting maximum sun. The Zumo display is readable.

Closer, perpendicular to the display, you can make out the tenths digit '5'.

Moving into the shade, all legible.

Direct sun, close up

What I think is happening is that light is entering the translucent case and reducing readability. A brighter display or different lens would probably help. I am working on a cover to prevent light entry and protect from over head sun.

EDIT - First cover

I made a cover out of part of a plastic box, painted it black, stuck it on.

It's about 12:30pm, sun is a bit higher, with the cover blocking most light into the case the digits are almost legible.

Close up. A bit more overhang on the cover and I'm almost there.

The meter will be usable but not while riding with direct sunlight on the face. This is a concern because when riding and something strange happens, I'd like to be able to look down and check all of my instruments. For $25 and fully waterproof, I'm going to work to make it better.

Ed

EdGear screwed with this post 06-12-2011 at 01:33 PM
EdGear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #18
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,728
I like your mounting idea, but maybe you could move the meter towards the left and closer to the windscreen of your 990? Looks like there's plenty of shade behind the blacked out screen.

Nice meter. Price is very reasonable.
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:32 PM   #19
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

EdGear,

The plastic housing is translucent. I found that having a DVM mounted near my line of sight was not preferred, especially when riding at night. I'd suggest mounting it under your speedo.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #20
EdGear
Edventurer

I think I mentioned the translucent case was a probable cause of too much light entering the case and making the digits hard to read. I think my photos show that by blocking the light into the case with the hood, the digits are more legible. Ask your CM, they can do a second step on the case and block out all but the face.

I thought about mounting the DVM lower but didn't want it hidden by the tank bag. I considered the are under the speedo but in a 990A that are is occupied by the movement of the top triple clamp.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #21
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGear View Post
I considered the are under the speedo but in a 990A that are is occupied by the movement of the top triple clamp.
I need to borrow your bike to confirm
Old 06-15-2011, 03:36 PM   #22
EdGear
Edventurer

Update - I moved the DVM forward, into the space covered by the fairing and made a new cover with a longer brim. Pictures are at about 12:15pm. The cover is made out of part of a bicycle patch kit box, painted black.

The volt meter is just legible, photo does not capture what I can see.

A little closer view

With the modification, I am able to read the meter while riding, except when the face is hit with direct sun light.

Ed
Old 06-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #23
bisbonian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
'99 640 Adventure.

My original IMO was no good so I mounted a Trail Tech Vector to replace it. I had some extra space and since there isn't a whole lot of extra electricity running through this bike I mounted the ADVmonster voltmeter in there as well and it fit perfectly.

I mounted a fuse panel in the void under the plate the vector is mounted on so the voltmeter is hooked up to switched power through that.

Meter is pretty bright, the camera flash washed out the brightness.

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:27 AM   #24
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Nice clean install.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #25
ChrisZ
Exploring, Not Lost

Oddometer: 175
my install

R1100GS, installed under the GPS mount that bolts to the crossbar. I like the mounting there because it's shaded and obscured. The bottom of the GPS mount sort of obscures it, but if I look down a bit I see it fine. Works very nice, nice device, great service.

Only real nit pick is the 1 foot long meter wire, longer would be easier- I had to splice on an extension to get from there back to fuse box. Maybe 2 options could be offered? Long cable or short cable.

NYC, NY (Until 3rd May, anyway)
www.ChristopherZguris.com / New York to Ohio, Via Canada and Montana 2010: 4 Weeks On The Road
ChrisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #26
Auspanyol
Everyone's different

Oddometer: 4
Well... I've just procured a nice big batch of these babies fresh out the oven for the guys over here in our Spanish VFR club... chuffed altogether with the customer service John... he really went out of his way to make the most of the itnernational shipping and other cool details that put this deal in the 5 star category.

If I get picks of the installs I'll post 'em up.

By the way John, if you have a vectorized image of your business logo "ADVMonster" or such, and you forward it to me (you have my email).. I'll be happy to churn out some stickers (I work with that kind of stuff) and oblige the guys in the club to stick one on their bikes!!! Free plug for your service!!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #27
rich tintera
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Dumb question- does wiring the voltmeter to any wire which is hot when the key is "on" yield the same readout as wiring the voltmeter directly to the battery?
I think I'll be ordering one in the near future for my VFR.
Thanks!

rich tintera screwed with this post 07-19-2011 at 11:34 AM Reason: speling correction
rich tintera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #28
bisbonian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich tintera View Post
Dumb question- does wiring the voltmeter to any wire which is hot when the key is "on" yield the same readout as wiring the voltmeter directly to the battery?
I think I'll be ordering one in the near future for my VFR.
Thanks!
Not necessarily. Check voltage at multiple locations and you may find it differs quite a bit.

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #29
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

Thanks for the offer Auspanyo. Please don't spend too much time on this website or you to may become infected

Where to measure the voltage is up to to you. I had one on the tiger, reading from the battery and it could detect very small changes. I have others installed on the lead going to the headlight and it works fine as well.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:35 AM   #30
sanjoh OP
Purveyor of Light

We've shipped a bunch of these.

Anyone have more install pics to post?