Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
bone13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
In Search of the Dirt Dragon! ...A Quest in ADVenture Riding

In Search of the Dirt Dragon! ...A Quest in ADVenture Riding

I consider myself so very lucky that I get to share one of the greatest loves in my life; Motorcycling, with my father Dave Corl. Ever free chance we get the chance we spend it riding together exploring the roads less took.
We ride over pavement, and through dirt , mud, gravel, streams, across the ridges of the mountains, sharing in a special bond of family AND bikes. Today was another of those special times I have gotten to share with my father, a new road for us both... The Elusive Dirt Dragon, a fabled dirt road not even mapped on our google maps or our GPS's!!!

Pops and I started today with a run up Deals Gap (aka the Dragon - 318 curves in 11 miles). A few cops on 129 at the lake, But not to much traffic in the gap, and we made a good run through.
Slayers 1 - Dragons 0

From there it was over to Robbinsville to search out some dirt and gravel - the natural habitat of the Dirt Dragon. After a few light teases of gravel we finally came to Porter Field Gap road, the mouth of the Dirt Dragon! Porter Field Gap was a narrow road of packed mud and rocks. Not a road for the light hearted, but not overly challenging either. Just enough to be fun! A few miles in and we reached the end of the road. Or, at least according to my GPS.
We stopped for a moment in that spot atop a ridge, looking down this dirt road that should not exist. Smiling to one another in the knowledge we are about to plunge into the unknown... The elusive DIRT DRAGON!
a twisted dirt and gravel road that makes Deals Gap feel like a straight road in Florida. 4.5 miles in, my GPS discovers we are on a road again. We've come out the other side of the unknown.
After about another 6 miles of we come back to the world of pavement on Beaver Creek road. We had done it! We found and slew dragon 2 of the day; the "Dirt Dragon!"
Slayers 2- Dragons 0

From here we decided traveling more gravel on a return home route via Tatham Gap rd, only to discover about a 1/2 mile in a gate closing off the Road. Hopefully its just a seasonal closing as it would be a sweet of this loop.

After a stop at the gate to consult the maps for alternate routes, we were off to Andrews NC to grab some lunch. Slaying Dragons is hungry work!

As we sat outside the burger joint eating our lunch and discussing the ride so far and planning our triumphant return ride, we began to feel a few drops of rain. Time to make time for home... Which meant we were staring into the eyes of the Deals Gap Dragon again. A challenge we accepted!
For a second time we slew Deals Gap dragon with vigor.
Slayers 3 - Dragons 0

We then turned to the Foothills parkway for more spirited pavement and to bring us in the back way home.
This is where the day took a somber note....

About 4 miles from the end of the parkway we came across a couple bikes and a car on the side of the road with someone standing in the road trying to flag people to slow down down.
As we approached we could see a lady who looks hurt on the side of the road obviously hurting, in riding boots and t-shirt from the dealership I work at. There had been a bike accident... We immediately pulled off the road and came up to see if we could help. Apparently she went wide in a turn into the grass, then lost control of her bike and went over the bank. The bike had hit a tree and threw her off. We checked on her, and she said she was okay.
4 guys were trying to pull her bike back up on the road. Pops and I climbed down to help. Pops clearing branches in the way of pushing the bike back up the bank, and me helping push.

Once we got the bike up all attention went back to the rider, and seeing if we needed to get her an ambulance. She started complaining of upper back pain and trouble breathing so a call was placed to emergency services for an ambulance. Honestly I was a bit amazed she survived, after surveying what had happened. Pops and I split sides to help flag traffic to slow down till the police arrived.

With emergency services arrival, we departed with a thankful handshake from the woman's husband (who was on his own bike) and our offering our hope for them that everything was going to be okay.

The pace slowed a bit for the rest of the ride home, perhaps in reflection of the last 20 minutes we had just spent on the roadside. For me, it was even more than that, it was a reflection of the whole day. How precious our lives are, how important every moment is, and how happy I am to have days like today, that I got share an ADVenture with my father.

www.ridgerunneradventures.com

bone13 screwed with this post 02-19-2015 at 06:18 PM
bone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:41 AM   #2
cpatte
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Where is it?

I see going south on RT129 towards Robbinsville there is Old Field Gap Rd, but i cannot find Porters Field Gap Rd any where, help!!

Do you have gps bread crumbs or just more info?

Thanks, Carlos.
cpatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:03 AM   #3
LexLeroy
Chief Mansplainer

Oddometer: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatte View Post
I see going south on RT129 towards Robbinsville there is Old Field Gap Rd, but i cannot find Porters Field Gap Rd any where, help!!

Thanks, Carlos.
Is this what you're looking for?

http://tailofthedragontours.com/tathum/index.html
Old 02-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
bone13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatte View Post

Thanks, Carlos.
Its actually Porter Field Gap rd. It comes off of Little Snowbird at gps coordinates N35 14.061 W83 56.065
garmin shows it ends a little way in but it actually comes out at N35 14.160 W83 53.173 and connects to Beaver Creek rd

Hope that helps :-)

Old 02-19-2015, 12:06 PM   #5
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by bone13 View Post
Its actually Porter Field Gap rd. It comes off of Little Snowbird at gps coordinates N35 14.061 W83 56.065
garmin shows it ends a little way in but it actually comes out at N35 14.160 W83 53.173 and connects to Beaver Creek rd

Hope that helps :-)
photos aren't showing up.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #6
bone13 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
photos aren't showing up.
No photos in that post
if you were referring to
N35 14.061 W83 56.065 and
N35 14.160 W83 53.173
Those are the Longitude/Latitude GPS coordinates for where Porter Field Gap (dirt dragon) starts and ends.

Last I checked, neither Google maps doest show it, and Garmin maps shows that Porter Field Gap dead ends through, but it actually goes through to Beaver Creek rd. There's about 4 1/2 miles of dirt road that doesn't seem to appear on Garmins maps

Edit: just looked at googlemaps and they dont seem to show either Porter Field Gap rd or Beaver Creek rd.... interesting

Old 02-20-2015, 05:45 AM   #7
LexLeroy
Chief Mansplainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone13 View Post
No photos in that post
if you were referring to
N35 14.061 W83 56.065 and
N35 14.160 W83 53.173
Those are the Longitude/Latitude GPS coordinates for where Porter Field Gap (dirt dragon) starts and ends.

Last I checked, neither Google maps doest show it, and Garmin maps shows that Porter Field Gap dead ends through, but it actually goes through to Beaver Creek rd. There's about 4 1/2 miles of dirt road that doesn't seem to appear on Garmins maps

Edit: just looked at googlemaps and they don't seem to show either Porter Field Gap rd or Beaver Creek rd.... interesting
Your lat/long numbers show what looks to be an access point off of Little Snowbird Rd just to the northeast of Juanita Branch if you zoom in w/ satellite imagery using Google maps, but it looks like a confusing network of trails that winds through the woods until it hits Porterfield Gap - a terrain feature. From the imagery you can't tell whether or not the access point is private.

Here it is in DeLorme Topo9 which shows Porterfield Gap Rd. as a dashed line from Little Snowbird Rd. to Porterfield Gap - the map software shows it as an unnamed local road.

Topo9 shows no road onward to Beaver Creek Rd even though one is clearly visible in satellite imagery... and it looks to be hugely entertaining. Just for grins I pulled up Porterfield Gap in GPSVISUALIZER and hand-drew a .gpx track along the dirt road which connects Porterfield Gap to Beaver Creek Rd. I've superimposed the drawn GPS track onto the map.

Looks like a not-too-difficult way to create tracks that can be imported into a GPS.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 02-21-2015 at 08:00 AM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:26 AM   #8
econwatch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Dirt Dragon gpx v001

Tried to transcribe a gpx route along the Dirt Dragon. Hopefully someone can take this and make it real.

Always learning about maps so here's an attempt at creating the gpx. This is one method using Google Earth and Garmin Basecamp. There are other tools available to create gpx's for your GPS unit. Have also successfully used bikeroutetoaster in the past.

HowTo:
1. Using Google Earth, created a folder for this project including the waypoints given above.
2. Added a path traced along the most obvious route between the waypoints.
3. Right clicked folder 'Save Place As...' to a kmz file.
4. Renamed kmz to zip and unzipped to a kml file.
5. Opened Basecamp, created project folder, drag/dropped the kml file. This created a sub-list containing 3 waypoints and 2 tracks.
6. Cleaned up the waypoints and tracks a bit (names, colors, links) and added web link and post notes to the 'Dirt Dragon PLAN' track for future reference.
7. Exported the BC list that held everything to a gpx file and dumped on the Montana.

The BirdsEye imagery is part of BC, well worth the minimal cost. The nc_topo map is from GPS Files Depot.

Not to threadjack but I'm looking forward to do this trail during the week of May 11th 2015 (along with a lot of other mixed surface riding) when a group of us come down from NY/NJ.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx dirt dragon v001.gpx (30.0 KB, 21 views)

econwatch screwed with this post 02-21-2015 at 12:50 PM
econwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #9
LexLeroy
Chief Mansplainer

For those who don't have Basecamp GPSVisualizer has a draw tool that lets you do the same thing, saving the track as a .gpx file. Here's the link:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/draw/

Why buy milk when the cow is free? And Bone13 - thanks for posting this and letting us turn it into a mapping exercise. Learnin' new stuff is kewl.

LexLeroy screwed with this post 02-23-2015 at 08:43 AM
LexLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote