User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #181
KTMK
Darren H

Oddometer: 95
Progress in the Carnet Department

Well I had a good conversation with the man from the RAC (Royal Automobile Club) in the UK. They are the only issuers of the Carnet de Passage for UK residents, registered bikes.

http://www.rac.co.uk/driving-abroad/carnet-de-passage/

The carnet is a recipricol arrangement with automobile clubs to act as guarantor that the bike will not be sold in the country in which you are travelling. It is a passport for the bike and stamped in and out of the countries you travel.

What was interesting was that a carnet is not required in Europe, the Stans, Russia or China as they have no national automobile clubs operating in them.

For our journey the carnet comes into effect firstly in South Asia, then Australia.

A carnet is required in South America, Africa, Iran, Pakistan and India.

Anyway the quote was all in 845.00 based on a bike value of 6,700.00, this is none refundable.

I must be honest I heard some scary stories about the carnet cost being 5 or 6 time the value of the bike so I as mildly

pleased to hear it was under a grand.

Next task worldwide insurance.....

Darren
KTMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #182
Dahveed
Sumo Biker!

Oddometer: 5,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMK View Post
Well I had a good conversation with the man from the RAC (Royal Automobile Club) in the UK. They are the only issuers of the Carnet de Passage for UK residents, registered bikes.

http://www.rac.co.uk/driving-abroad/carnet-de-passage/

The carnet is a recipricol arrangement with automobile clubs to act as guarantor that the bike will not be sold in the country in which you are travelling. It is a passport for the bike and stamped in and out of the countries you travel.

What was interesting was that a carnet is not required in Europe, the Stans, Russia or China as they have no national automobile clubs operating in them.

For our journey the carnet comes into effect firstly in South Asia, then Australia.

A carnet is required in South America, Africa, Iran, Pakistan and India.

Anyway the quote was all in 845.00 based on a bike value of 6,700.00, this is none refundable.

I must be honest I heard some scary stories about the carnet cost being 5 or 6 time the value of the bike so I as mildly

pleased to hear it was under a grand.

Next task worldwide insurance.....

Darren

845 pounds (sorry, couldn't find the symbol on my US keyboard) sounds like highway robbery to me for just the privilege of riding YOUR motorcycle through their country.

I have a low tolerance for bureaucratic BS, so this process of applying for visas along your route would really frustrate me. Good luck with it though.
'13 R1200GS
'08 WR250R
Dahveed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #183
edog200 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Update on preparation

The pace is really picking up now.

A rough route for China is now complete. This route hugs the foot hills of the Himalayas.

We are now locked and loaded with six riders, 3 from England, 2 Aussies and one New Zealander (Kiwi).
I'll provide some background on the riders shortly. More on them later.

Our latest rider to join the clan was a surprise but a worthy addition nevertheless. He's in his mid fifties, has ridden road bikes for nearly 3 years and looked at a dirt bike once! He's now booked into the gym and in a months time we'll take him to Stockton Beach. Video camera of that first outing will be a must. Got a feeling we'll be going there a couple of times before I'll be satisfied he can ride the Simpson Desert!!
edog200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:39 AM   #184
fraser2312
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Really looking forward to this one
fraser2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:11 AM   #185
cgwt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Traction for Action

Glad to see that y'all have some traction with the crew. Need to sharpen the new chaps off-road and all should be good!! Looking forward to the first vid's!!
Old 11-12-2011, 05:48 AM   #186
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,258
Subscribed!

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #187
pirate63
SUPA 10 PILOT

Oddometer: 441
Eek

Hi guys,if your going through Lao,you have got to go and see the plain of jars.
Watching this thread closely now as it is getting crunch time for us to start getting things together for our trip,so picking up hints from you about visa and such
cheers clive

Tried to edit this post because i dont know where that blue angry face came from??
pirate63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:59 AM   #188
edog200 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate63 View Post
Hi guys,if your going through Lao,you have got to go and see the plain of jars.
Watching this thread closely now as it is getting crunch time for us to start getting things together for our trip,so picking up hints from you about visa and such
cheers clive

Tried to edit this post because i dont know where that blue angry face came from??
I'm planner for China and Australia but I will pass your suggestion onto the South East Asia 'task force' , in case you're wondering that's John (UK) and Robbie (NZ).

Anyway we are back to five riders. The other Aussie pulled out. Mixed emotion on this, as he would be great company, but I was concerned about the Simpson Desert. He was never going to make it...now that place is real tough shite and not a place you take someone with no dirt experience! I woke up about 3am in the morning dreaming of my last crossing of the desert. In those still early hours you can take yourself back and it was bloody hard work. whilst I enjoyed the rhythm of riding the dunes, it was strenuous and I lost 4 kilos over the 3 weeks of my triple crossing.

I'm reluctant to post details of riders until things settle. I'm pretty sure the group we now have is good to go.

The China route is slowly working out. I'm glad we started early in terms of negotiation for visas and access to travel permits, but I must say the authorities have been very professional and helpful.

The Ukraine application is a little strange. Complete by internet and then you have to post your passport off to Canberra to be stamped and a 'permission slip' inserted.

Biggest concern at the moment - medical insurance. Who's going to cover us?

Shooting for June 14 to arrive in UK with two weeks to prepare the bike. The KTMs are delivered on the 1 June. They are prepped and run in and should be ready to go. Thinking ahead too much....bikes aren't much use if you don't have your visas sorted, your carne payed. Think I better get back to the paper work.

On another note, my geography is improving greatly, as is my geopolitical awareness. I was really flat prior to taking on this ride and it is slowly consuming my head space at ever increasing amounts. Been in the same job for close to 30 years and the 'ground hog day' feeling was getting out of control. The planning for this trip is taking that ground hog and stuffing him right back in the hole, hopefully not to emerge until I get back. . This time next year I would have been back nearly two months.

edog200 screwed with this post 11-14-2011 at 02:12 AM
Old 11-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #189
dave54
mindless thoughts

Oddometer: 56
Possible name for your trip
"Across the Great Wall to the Big Red" with logo to suit
Best Wishes Dave Looks like a trip and a half.
dave54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #190
mcguyver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Edog
Take a look at worldcare for travel insurance.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #191
edog200 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguyver View Post
Edog
Take a look at worldcare for travel insurance.

Ta - thanks for that.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:20 AM   #192
edog200 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The name of our ride?

"Continental Drift" is firming up as the name for our ride.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:12 AM   #193
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog200 View Post
Darren and I received some great news yesterday. We have been officially advised by KTM Austria that they will support the trip by providing two new, serviced and prepared KTM690 Rs.

We are now 8 months away and the pace of preparation is ramping up. Hang on for the ride!
Great news! Well it seems like you'll have no choice but to call the trip something like "Keeping The Magic Tour"!

Great RR and looking forward to more posts. Excellent 720P clips.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:09 AM   #194
mujiburrahman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog200 View Post
"Continental Drift" is firming up as the name for our ride.
sounds good :)
mujiburrahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:20 AM   #195
KTMK
Darren H

Oddometer: 95
Contact's on the trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mujiburrahman View Post
sounds good :)
I think we need to keep in touch, send me a PM of your location next year, we may bump into you.
KTMK is offline   Reply With Quote