User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
gofast1320 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
Rear brake sticking

A buddy of mine was riding my F800GS this weekend and when he used the rear brake it stuck. He had to open the bleeder valve to make it release. He had to do this three more times on a 120 mile ride. Anyone had any experience with this happening? If so, what do I need to do or should I do. My initial thought was I need to take it to my dealer and have it looked at.
Thoughts- Suggestions. I just went out to the garage and stepped on rear brake pedal and released it, then turned tire and you can hear and feel brake dragging. Can't do anything right now have to get ready to head to work. Will check for answers when I get in tonight or in morning.

Thanks
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Sticking caliper slides is a guess.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Ron Wardman
Beemerguy

Oddometer: 249
Rear brake

I might suggest that he may have rested his foot on the brake allowing brake drag and then the heat build up causes the brake to lock. This is especially true if the free play is not correct.
Ron Wardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:24 AM   #4
gofast1320 OP
Studly Adventurer

sticking

What does one do for sticking caliper slides?? On the foot on brake idea. I've got lowered pegs and this guy is a really experienced rider, you have to conciously put your foot on the brake pedal. Yesterday morning with it having set all night, when I pushed on the pedal its like there is no slack. The brakes have not been touched since service 4000 miles ago by dealer. Rear brake master cylinder was replaced at that time.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:43 AM   #5
gofast1320 OP
Studly Adventurer

Fix

Bike is going to dealer later this week to be checked out.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
What does one do for sticking caliper slides??
Remove the rear brake pad pin clips and then knock out the pins. You will probably want to remove the rear wheel speed sensor at this point also. Slip the pads out the back of the caliper. Remove the rear wheel. The caliper should now slip sideways off it's slide pins. They will likely be dry and or rusty, so clean the crud from the slide pins. Grease them up with an appropriate lube (none specified here intentionally to avoid debate) and reassemble the works.

This was from just from memory, so if I've missed a step or gotten them out of order, please someone chime in and correct it for me...
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
gofast1320 OP
Studly Adventurer

dry rusty

Headed out to the garage to check it out. May save me a trip to the dealer.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
Headed out to the garage to check it out. May save me a trip to the dealer.

Thanks
Could be the pins the pads slide on are rusty and sticking

Could also be the brake pistons are dirty and sticking. Meaning they are not retracting into the caliper like they are supposed to. take apart like he suggested above and look at both. If it is not the slider or retaining pins then it could be the pistons. Solution is to take pads out and get an old toothbrush and clean the side os the pistons with soap & water. Clean them. pusht them out and then very carefully push brake lever to move them part way in. Scrub again, repeat. Dry it off, put it back together and take is for a test ride.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:24 PM   #9
gofast1320 OP
Studly Adventurer

found it

Was in garage looking at wheel and caliper intently while rotating wheel forward and backward and when rolling it backwards it kind of freed up and thunk, clink or maybe tink, clunk -two chunks of brake pad ond of which was not quite the size of a dime fell on the garage floor.
Is there an aftermarket brake pad for just a regular guy. I'm not going to Dakar and no baby head rock strewn creek beds for me. I did ride up a gravel hill one time and then back down it! Just normal riding.
Thanks
Old 05-31-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,297
I like galfer green pads for the front. Glafer black pads for the rear. Cyclebrakes.com has them. You are best to call to order. Site is confusing as hell. I think they offer an adv discount.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:31 AM   #11
gofast1320 OP
Studly Adventurer

Pads

Thanks will check that out. Should I be concerned about the pad coming apart like that? I know I've seen that happen on a pick-up and I didn't freak out, I just replaced the pads and kept driving. These are OEM pads on the bike and it has almost 10000 miles on it.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:42 AM   #12
Zieggy
n00b

Oddometer: 2
breaks

as a experienced mechanic i would first of all check your master cylinder on your break paddle. if there is dirt build up around it and doesn't let the paddle cum up all the way it will not release the breaks and it will create heat and burn up your breaks.This can also happen due to wrong adjustments
Zieggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:10 AM   #13
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
breaks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zieggy View Post
as a experienced mechanic i would first of all check your master cylinder on your break paddle. if there is dirt build up around it and doesn't let the paddle cum up all the way it will not release the breaks and it will create heat and burn up your breaks.This can also happen due to wrong adjustments
As an experienced speller, I would first of all check your master cylinder on your brake paddle. If there is dirt build up around it, and it doesn't let the paddle come up all the way, it will not release the brakes, and it will create heat and burn up your brakes. This can also happen due to wrong adjustments.

;-)
Old 06-01-2011, 07:18 AM   #14
gofast1320 OP
Studly Adventurer

Will check that out too

By the way the thickness of the pad piece that fell out is just under 3/8" thick. Just a tad over 5/16". After 8 Hondas and 45 years metric is still greek to me.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #15
gofast1320 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks to all

I contacted cyclebrakes and got the black back and green front Galfers on the way to me. Great price and only 10.20 shipped priority mail, got a 15% adv rider discount too.
Thanks to all who replied- I'll make sure all the pins etc are free before I reassemble.
This Haynes Service and Repair Manual has some great step by step photos.
We'll see how it goes.