ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #151
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Take lots of pictures. I want to get an accurate idea of what the aggressive ATV trail looks like
I'd say your avatar looks like a good representation of an aggressive ATV trail.

Ted, you thinking of making the route exactly what we just did?

I know for myself... I could not do it on my bike. WAY too long distance for my little bike. I would need a surgical ass transplant afterwards. And I wouldn't have any room for luggage with all the gas cans I'd need strapped on my bike. And there was a lot of slab. Although I think we could find more gravel to replace much of the paved road.

Actually, I should mention... remember the original course that I plotted? I had one going from Clova to Le Domaine? Well, on the way down through La Verendrye, I saw the end of that dirt road where it comes out onto the highway. You can actually see it in Street View. Anyway, so that road is real. There's even a road sign that says "Clova 220 km" or something like that. The road looked very wide and pretty good condition. We could just lop the top off our route. Go from Buckingham, up to Mont Laurier via the Pap Labelle roads. Those were awesome. Then Mont Laurier to Parent, and Parent to Clova. Clova to La Verendrye. Rip around there for a bit, then south.

Or two optional paths. Big men on big bikes can you up to Ouje-Bougoumou. The rest of us nancies can go west from Clova to Le Domaine.

Man, I just love saying Ouje-Bougoumou.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #152
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,835
Alright then I'll be a bit more clear on my proposal for next years route.

Here's my logic on distances, most of these backroads I'd travel at 40-70 miles per hour comfortably. So say a moving average of 40 miles. A 240 mile day then is 6 hours for folks that ride like I do.

A slower rider might travel at 20 to 50 miles an hour. A moving average of say 25 miles per hour. A 240 mile day is then a 9.5 hour day.

Throw in two hours for gas stops, lunch, pictures and fix a flat.

This leaves me thinking a 240 mile day is a good number. 8-12 hours for folks to complete. These numbers are pretty conservative I think......I'd guess most folks Would take between 6-9 hours to complete day onecand two.

Day one:

Renfrew to Clova
All dirt roads
400 km

Day Two

Clova to Parent to Mont Laurier
350 km gravel, 50 km paved
The 50 km can be swapped with a technical optional section

Day Three

Mont Laurier to Ottawa
Dirt roads for 80%, paved for 20%
an optional technical section
An optional all paved route

So a little bit of everything. The only catch is that there are no go arounds for day one and day two. This adds a bit more seriousness to it as breakdowns or accidents are a bigger issue because of the remoteess of the area. A bit more thought on having supplies (first aid kits, tow ropes, spare tubes, etc would be recommended, so would a spot tracker and traveling in groups. Of course the route is only suggested and folks can choose whatever they'd like

Except a wrong turn means going a hundred miles in the wrong direction

Rob asked about his bike not being suitable. Your right, a 250 isn't what this route or rally is about..... A 650-1200 would be my recommendation with a drz400 being about small as I'd recommend.

Finding that line between too challenging for less experienced folks without boring the more experienced folks isn't easy. I think a few folks will have a long day on day one and two and some folks will enjoying a fast rally style ride and have the afternoons to drink cold beers

So......Western Quebec for next years Roaming Rally?

What would folks think about inviting some Landrovers folks along? Conditional to them bringing coolers and beer for the bikes . It might be nice having them drive sweep?

Look forward to your comments............

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #153
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,514
i guess this means i need to learn some basic french...
Old 07-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #154
dvd_scott
Back road daydreamer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Alright then I'll be a bit more clear on my proposal for next years route.

Here's my logic on distances, most of these backroads I'd travel at 40-70 miles per hour comfortably. So say a moving average of 40 miles. A 240 mile day then is 6 hours for folks that ride like I do.

A slower rider might travel at 20 to 50 miles an hour. A moving average of say 25 miles per hour. A 240 mile day is then a 9.5 hour day.

Throw in two hours for gas stops, lunch, pictures and fix a flat.

This leaves me thinking a 240 mile day is a good number. 8-12 hours for folks to complete. These numbers are pretty conservative I think......I'd guess most folks Would take between 6-9 hours to complete day onecand two.

Day one:

Renfrew to Clova
All dirt roads
400 km

Day Two

Clova to Parent to Mont Laurier
350 km gravel, 50 km paved
The 50 km can be swapped with a technical optional section

Day Three

Mont Laurier to Ottawa
Dirt roads for 80%, paved for 20%
an optional technical section
An optional all paved route

So a little bit of everything. The only catch is that there are no go arounds for day one and day two. This adds a bit more seriousness to it as breakdowns or accidents are a bigger issue because of the remoteess of the area. A bit more thought on having supplies (first aid kits, tow ropes, spare tubes, etc would be recommended, so would a spot tracker and traveling in groups. Of course the route is only suggested and folks can choose whatever they'd like

Rob asked about his bike not being suitable. Your right, a 250 isn't what this route or rally is about..... A 650-1200 would be my recommendation with a drz400 being about small as I'd recommend.

Finding that line between too challenging for less experienced folks without boring the more experienced folks isn't easy. I think a few folks will have a long day on day one and two and some folks will enjoying a fast rally style ride and have the afternoons to drink cold beers

What would folks think about inviting some Landrovers folks along? Conditional to them bringing coolers and beer for the bikes . It might be nice having them drive sweep?

I like this idea.
dvd_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #155
Z50R
Not lost yet

Oddometer: 789
Quote:

That sounds like an awesome mix all around. I'd be all over a ride like that.

Quote:
Probably don't choose a clapped out XL350

Quote:

A beer sweeper would clear up the two largest issues with being so far into the wilderness. If possible convince one of them to have a means of dragging a downed bike along (hitch mount bike rack). I like the idea of a remote ride and have plenty of spare parts permanently attached to the bike but I still would like the opportunity to go "Balls to the wall" when I am riding and a sweeper would allow that. And beer!
Z50R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #156
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

I have a hitch mounted rack, but would not consider using one with a heavy bike on the back of my truck on those roads. Hard on the machines, and a good chance of causing an accident because of the light front end.

Maybe if somebody came with a full-size pickup. Still, I don't think a 400lb bike on one of those things is a great idea in any case. But that's just me.

What this needs is an off-road cargo trailer. I have plans for just such a beast, but no idea if I could have it done in time.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #157
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,197
I've got one of these I'd love to offer up, but someone'll have to pull it to the start. I'm riding . It's a bit over the KLR's towing capacity.

IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #158
4badboyz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Count me in Ted, sounds "Deadly"
Moab 2012
James Bay Road. What could go wrong...
4badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #159
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

I think that's over my towing capacity too! 2000lbs empty?
Old 07-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #160
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,223
While I prefer more technical riding to plain dirt roads, I'm happy to ride whatever you guys set up.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #161
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Lefebvre View Post
I think that's over my towing capacity too! 2000lbs empty?
Only 1340, says the plate on the side.
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Old 07-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #162
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
While I prefer more technical riding to plain dirt roads, I'm happy to ride whatever you guys set up.
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Old 07-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #163
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,126
Is there a sign up list started yet???

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #164
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,514
questions like that could put you in charge of aforementioned list!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
Is there a sign up list started yet???
Old 07-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #165
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 2,991
Thumb Different kind of ride...

Ted,
The Western Quebec plan is very similar to the couple of rides I've done up there a few years ago. They were a lot of fun. Sure, the roads are not trails, but they offer several challenges - remoteness, dust, sand, speed, dust. Oh, and there's the dust. This area really makes you feel as if you're on an adventure. It's pretty cool up there; very desolate.

Land Rovers are welcome...as long as they make their dust cloud behind the bikes.

Pics from:

2004 Trans Lab

2005 Mattawin

2006 Barrage Gouin

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote