ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 05:08 PM   #16
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,074
I like the idea of qc, I like mem weekend again, I like support vehicals... How about I'd like to do all this again...

Best of all... the pre ride ...this sept??? or is this weekend too soon?
Old 05-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #17
Rider23
-<EvilTed>-

Oddometer: 795
Gunna start a Moab thread soon, getting info now :)

Moab 2012
Rider23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:09 PM   #18
FreeTheBeast
valebat ascensorem

Oddometer: 3,000
Cool2 This is what it's like going up to Barrage Gouin

A ride up there in 2006.

Click the picture to get to the whole gallery:

It's a lot different than what we did last weekend. It is very remote and kind of cool.

The Hampster Ride - A mainly dirt route to ride the length of New Hampshire.
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:44 PM   #19
4badboyz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
count me in 100%
Moab 2012
James Bay Road. What could go wrong...
4badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #20
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I'm in! Could maybe help pre-ride too. Just depends on when, my summer is extremely booked already.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:12 PM   #21
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4badboyz View Post
count me in 100%
you should be a gps pro by then.....
Old 05-31-2011, 07:23 PM   #22
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Might be nice to go a bit later in the year. Less water, less bugs and higher temps.

Totally open for suggestions though. It is nice to plan all winter and then get right to the event in the spring.

Its all good with me
later in year gets my vote

Quebec get my vote as well.

but just give me a time and place and i will be there
Old 05-31-2011, 07:38 PM   #23
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,183
I'm in for whatever y'all decide!!!

But my 2 cents.

I do like the idea of moving the rally,, as the name implies.

Also like the idea of getting the gear hauled, not a deal breaker either way but hauling everything seems to slow me down.

However the organizers do it, make sure it doesn't become a chore. This makes it less fun for you. Leave some of the responsiblity on the individuals,,,, camping reservations,,etc.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #24
280racer
AKA: WrongTiredGuy

Oddometer: 187
In...

Whatever, wherever, whenever...
Old 05-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #25
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Another question since we're asking.

Keep it simple like this past one, aka costs nothing and we just provide a suggested route or would folks rather see it organized. Meaning a sign up fee which includes camping, food, gear shuTtle, etc

Either or works for us so its more a matter of what folks would like. Heck we could even scratch the camping and find somewhere indoors if that's what folks would prefer.

Entirely up to the inmates as its you folks who'll be attending
If I may add my two cents...

I think hauling camping gear/personal gear just weighs down the bikes, making off road riding even that much more difficult, so I would say a support vehicle is a great idea, almost a necessity. I think that service could be offered independently of the organizers or hosts. A small fee of $15/bag should be more than fair for the service. Naomi did a great job this year and she should have first right of refusal to offer these services again if she so chooses.

If next year is the same exact route as this year, having a camping and/or hotel-motel resort option would be very doable. There were hotels/motels/resorts within 3 miles of both Black Donald and Silent Lake.

If the rally gets moved to a different location, I don't think finding similar camping and hotel-motel accommodations would be too difficult. If the organizers/hosts of the 2012 event can find a stop over location that has both camping/hotel-motel options with in a close proximity of each other, I feel it should be the responsibility of each individual rider to make the proper accommodations.

I think that the campers can communicate amongst themselves in their own group and make their own reservations, and the non-campers can create their own committee that sets up a group rate and makes the reservations for the hotel/motel option, leaving the organizers/hosts able to focus their attention on the route.
Side note about the schedule and how it effects camping/hotel-motel accommodations: it might be easier and less expensive to find these accommodations for large groups on non-holiday weekends. I for one had to book 2 nights at Silent Lake, even though I only used one, because they had a 2 night policy for holiday weekend reservations.

As far as an entrance fee or route fee, I think in exchange for signage on the course included with a route sheet (that could be fed into a route sheet holder), and in addition to GPS tracking option that was offered this year, a fee is acceptable. I personally would be happy to pay a $20 fee to have better and redundant navigational assistance.
The proceeds from this fee could be used to cover the expenses such as signage, supplies for route sheets, and gas to have host organizers/volunteers pre-ride the course.

All of the above are just simple suggestions, humbly made by someone who has never done any of these events before. But, for the record, whether some or all of these suggestions are offered next year, I will be there!!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:43 AM   #26
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailer View Post
Side note about the schedule and how it effects camping/hotel-motel accommodations: it might be easier and less expensive to find these accommodations for large groups on non-holiday weekends. I for one had to book 2 nights at Silent Lake, even though I only used one, because they had a 2 night policy for holiday weekend reservations.

FYI...The memorial day weekend is not a holiday here actually...the only reason we able to book for such a large crowd. And as far as the yurts, i beleive they have a two night minimum for those always.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:11 AM   #27
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,556
i'm mixed on the whole support truck thing. if this is truly a 'rally' where the idea is to haul ass between point a and point b for a certain period of time (3 days, 1 week, etc) then sure i guess it is just a supported ride. a la dakar (i'm not suggesting we race or it is a race).

if the idea is to showcase portions of the TCAT and how it is doable for the long haul (6-8-10 weeks as deadly99 estimates) then it should be done with full gear on the bike. after all, you won't have a support truck following you if you were actually riding the TCAT.

for me there are plenty of 1 or 2 day events where i can trailer either of my bikes and gear and rip for an entire day or two, camp, and then go home. this was my first 'extended' off-road (partially) fully-loaded trip and it provided me with a glimpse of what was possible.

either way, i'll stayed tuned for the Roaming Rally v2.0 details because it can only get better every time.

loph917 screwed with this post 06-01-2011 at 06:20 AM
loph917 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:18 AM   #28
4badboyz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
you should be a gps pro by then.....
nope.. just gonna bring a smaller bike and tuck in behind you Sean

One lesson I'll take away from this trip is not to overpack. I brought WAY too much crap. 90% of it didn't even come out of the bag. If it wasn't for the chase truck haulin my gear for me, I'd still be at the bottom of one of those ponds
Moab 2012
James Bay Road. What could go wrong...
4badboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #29
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailer View Post
If I may add my two cents...

be there!!

This year was complete luck that Naiomi wanted to go and meet you f'rs... Having my truck here was because she was not up to speed to ride this comfortably... Having said that, she had the best time interacting with you all. At the moment she is quite excited to be the support for this next ride. Having a bigger trailer or an enclosed trailer would be more sweet. That will happen as that little trailer was to support me!! Even a rented u-haul trailer.

my 2cents.. getting a campgrnd with hut or hotels great... Hotel somewhere else to the campgrnd creates "us and them".... That should not happen. As there is only US in this ride. There was a huge gathering around the fire Sat. night and everyone made it by to visit the party. That wouldn't happen having a hotel down the road...

Maybe... we could meet at "X" throw your gear on the vehical then ride to "said" campground/hotel, the next day do a loop and return to said campgrnd. This way we are not spending a pile of energy tearing down camp and setting it back up.

There are a pile of men here that have said to Naiomi that they wish there wife would do what she is doing. Staying at one site for two nights, could possibly intice them to come along. Even if they don't ride, maybe the resort could have something in it for them to make them look at the opportunity to come along.

the higher powers will decide........ just saying.....
Old 06-01-2011, 06:31 AM   #30
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4badboyz View Post
nope.. just gonna bring a smaller bike and tuck in behind you Sean

I'd still be at the bottom of one of those ponds
I'm sure you read the story..... 2km 4hrs...... oh ya ---good gps to follow...