ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 03:00 AM   #796
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,163
I didn't talk at all on the cell last year. WiFi was everywhere... gas stations... even the campground. Just hooked up to that with the iPod for a once-a-day email.
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:32 AM   #797
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrineclown View Post
Your lucky day pwrcrzr---that is the weekend I am committed....I will be out unfortunately. I nominate my spot to you.

Thanks Clarke..I will buy a round at CROMAG this year.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #798
thumpididump
MacGyver

Oddometer: 2,382
Pretty much any American cell phone will work here, but you will get charged roaming fees and long distance if you make calls. Expensive, but at least it works in an emergency. Before you come, though, it might be worth inquiring with your provider if they offer a cheap international text messaging SMS package. I travel a lot for work and I just arrange a temporary SMS package before my trip and that way I can send unlimited txt msgs from anywhere in the world for a very reasonable fee.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk

FY-YFF.com
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
"You can't put the shit back in the donkey." - Tony Soprano
thumpididump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #799
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpididump View Post
Pretty much any American cell phone will work here, but you will get charged roaming fees and long distance if you make calls. Expensive, but at least it works in an emergency. Before you come, though, it might be worth inquiring with your provider if they offer a cheap international text messaging SMS package. I travel a lot for work and I just arrange a temporary SMS package before my trip and that way I can send unlimited txt msgs from anywhere in the world for a very reasonable fee.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk
Most providers have a "Canada as home" package for a fairly reasonable fee. Many people close to the border get it so as to avoid the unpleasant surprise you get when you hit a Canadian tower and get charged out the ass without knowing it.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:23 AM   #800
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z50R View Post
Selling points include stranding Daan on the highway, in Canada, and at a gas station each time with a new form of catastrophic engine failure!
Naw, you're looking at it all wrong.

It gave us a chance to have a nice chat.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:02 AM   #801
juames
Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Naw, you're looking at it all wrong.

It gave us a chance to have a nice chat.
And a chance for Daan to warm up. Met him at the gas station in Carelton Place on the first morning, and all he had on was mesh warm weather riding gear. He was soaked to the bone, lips were blue and he was shivering like crazy! But he was rarin' to go! We convinced him to go inside and warm up, while we added more oil to the little Honda.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #802
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Most providers have a "Canada as home" package for a fairly reasonable fee. Many people close to the border get it so as to avoid the unpleasant surprise you get when you hit a Canadian tower and get charged out the ass without knowing it.
Interesting, I live 15 minutes from the US border. I often get my phone picking up one of your towers. But as soon as i do i get a txt that says "welcometo the USA"
pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #803
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelvis_98 View Post
Interesting, I live 15 minutes from the US border. I often get my phone picking up one of your towers. But as soon as i do i get a txt that says "welcome to the USA"
It's hard to read a text when you're on a headset. I think ours says "You are roaming. Hand over your wallet."
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #804
Z50R
Not lost yet

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by juames View Post
And a chance for Daan to warm up. Met him at the gas station in Carelton Place on the first morning, and all he had on was mesh warm weather riding gear. He was soaked to the bone, lips were blue and he was shivering like crazy! But he was rarin' to go! We convinced him to go inside and warm up, while we added more oil to the little Honda.
There can be no debate, regardless of what the rest of us were doing, Daan was having an adventure.
Z50R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #805
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,315

Old 01-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #806
skypilot
I Roam therefor I am

Oddometer: 691
Cheapo Swiss Mil surplus saddle bags

Okee Dokee, here is the finished product. I am gonna go hammer it through the forest a few times and commute with it for a few months to see how it works out but I think I have it pretty well sorted now. I have no idea what the Swiss need such heavy duty mega water proof backpacks for if they are all "neutral" but they are serios about not getting their stuff wet.

Starts with how they come. I hacked the shoulder strap off and put two 1 inch web straps though the fittings. Looped it through several times and adjusted it to the seat width. I hooked the rear strap though the tool case strap although your means of locking it in place will vary. Last shots show it full and being sealed as well as how it sits on the saddle bag frames. Not shown is the bits of velcro strapped around the lower frame and through the lower buckles on the bags.

These bags have roll up closures and are very sturdy for $18 a peice
http://www.majorsurplus.com/Search.aspx?k=08-0117

If you want to see the bags up close this link to the gallery should allow you to pull the full resolution images
http://skypilot.smugmug.com/Other/ch...1243638_Npbscj

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #807
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,535
Met with Jimmy and Flanny yesterday to discuss the route. Things are beginning to come together.

Day one looks to be about 350 kilometers in length. It has 3 notable water crossings and one hydro line. A rail line and a few of the same roads/trails as last year. I suspect the fast crowd will finish it in 7-8 hours (start early if you aren't in the fast crowd ).

Day two will cross via a small ferry into Quebec. Less technical but with greater mileage....700 kilometers. A mix of sand and gravel roller coaster roads with some scenic slab twisties.

Day three will have two optional routes. A get me the he'll outta here twisty slab route and a I can't get enough please put me back into the technical stuff route. Both will cross back into Ontario just south of Ottawa.

To be confirmed but we are trying to ensure the campgrounds that will be utilized can accommodate 100 of us (not an easy task trying to convince mom and pop campground owners that 100 motor bikes is a good thing).

Hope to have some gps files ready later in the winter. Like always it is a suggested route
We will pre ride it in the weeks leading up to rally but this doesn't mean it's "doable"

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel

Deadly99 screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 04:16 AM
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #808
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
Not shown is the bits of velcro strapped around the lower frame and through the lower buckles on the bags.
Any chance of showing a closeup of that? I bought a couple of the same bags, and I was planning on doing something with lighter-duty nylon webbing at the bottom.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:37 AM   #809
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post

I'm sorry, did you say something?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #810
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,788
I think I've been on the ferry. Been a few years...