ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #1471
deersSlayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromoth View Post
Is there a good border crossing FAQ? I imagine the hardest thing about it is avoiding the moose/deer but I don't want to bring something by mistake that causes a problem unintentionally.
The riders who come up yearly for the Canadian Assault say:

- bring your passport
- bring bike's registration and proof of insurance.
- know where you are going (keep it simple) and how long you'll be in Canada.
- no weapons (brush up on your hand to hoof/paw/claw combat!)
deersSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #1472
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,451
The KOA campground (the Friday night) got in touch. They were having issues with the website but can now take bookings. That being said they seem to have assured us that space will not be an issue so you can also just show up

They also indicated there is a large common area where we can have a fire and a get together for that night

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #1473
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by deersSlayer View Post
The riders who come up yearly for the Canadian Assault say:

- bring your passport
- bring bike's registration and proof of insurance.
- know where you are going (keep it simple) and how long you'll be in Canada.
- no weapons (brush up on your hand to hoof/paw/claw combat!)
In my experience, as long as one has the proper docs, getting into Canada is a breeze. A passport or land travel card is necessary. The land travel card is $30 and works for land or sea travel to Canada and Mexico. If you don't have either, get on it. Current times are 3-4 weeks in process unless one goes to a passport agency and spends a lot more. One can get either at many Post Offices.

I've never been asked for my registration or insurance card at the border.

As for what not to bring: no weapons. A camping knife with a short blade won't get you in trouble. Rambo stuff will, as will tasers, pepper spray, pistols and the like.

Beyond that, anything that would get you busted in the US will likely have the same effect in Canada. These guys have seen every possible method of stashing contraband, so don't even try.

You are allowed a carton of cigs, loose tobacco, chaw or whatever, a liter of distilled spirits or two bottles of wine or a case of beer duty free. Beyond that, you'll pay duty. For you cigar smokers, Cubans are available in Canada. They are not as afraid of invasion from the Caribbean as we are, obviously. Smoke 'em while you got 'em, as you can't bring them back.

If you have ever had a DWI, forget it. You can enter Canada with a DWI on your record, but you must first post a $10,000 bond. Likewise, if you have any felonies or certain violent misdemeanors, you may as well forget it. They don't want any trouble up there, eh?

Usually, I have been treated far more civilly going into Canada than re-entering the US. Coming back into the US is more of a "Yes, sir, no sir" proposition. The guards have had their sense of humor surgically removed, don't want to chit-chat, and will wave you over and strew all your stuff on the ground if provoked. Watch out for the guys in dark shades, combat footwear, and tactical gloves.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #1474
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,941
Well said
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #1475
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,781
Definitely the US guards are not as jovial as the Canadians....

A few years ago I went a on a boat trip on the Rideau. We trailered the boats to Ottawa and ended in Kingtson. On the way back we pull up to the guard shack and were asked all the normal questions. The guard then asked the driver if we were bringing any plants, meats or fish across the border. The driver jokingly said "there might be some seaweed hanging off the trailer". The guard instructed him to pull over to the inspection area and he would be right over. After sitting there for over an hour, we went inside to see if they had forgotten us. The desk guy made a call and told us the guard would be right over. About another 45 minutes later he came over with a team of 3 guys and a dog. They proceeded to remove everything from both the truck and boat. Even as far as removing every tool, from the tool boxes. It was pretty obvious they weren't looking for anything. When done, the original guard came over, smiled and said have a great day. A 15 minute crossing took over 4 hours.

It's always been my philosophy to only give info they ask for and don't kid or joke unless they initiate,,,, either direction.

Last year coming back from Quebec in the van, my wife and I arrived at the crossing at 2am. As we pulled into the crossing area a guard stepped out of the booth and put a couple cones in front of the van. He asked a few questions and then asked if I minded that they take a look in the van. Nope go right ahead. His buddy walked around to the back doors and saw the KTM decals, and what bike I had. They opened the doors looked in with flash lights, closed the doors and then we proceeded to chat about bikes for 20 minutes.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #1476
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post

A few years ago I went a on a boat trip on the Rideau. We trailered the boats to Ottawa and ended in Kingtson. On the way back we pull up to the guard shack and were asked all the normal questions. The guard then asked the driver if we were bringing any plants, meats or fish across the border. The driver jokingly said "there might be some seaweed hanging off the trailer". The guard instructed him to pull over to the inspection area and he would be right over. After sitting there for over an hour, we went inside to see if they had forgotten us. The desk guy made a call and told us the guard would be right over. About another 45 minutes later he came over with a team of 3 guys and a dog. They proceeded to remove everything from both the truck and boat. Even as far as removing every tool, from the tool boxes. It was pretty obvious they weren't looking for anything. When done, the original guard came over, smiled and said have a great day. A 15 minute crossing took over 4 hours.

It's always been my philosophy to only give info they ask for and don't kid or joke unless they initiate,,,, either direction.

Last year coming back from Quebec in the van, my wife and I arrived at the crossing at 2am. As we pulled into the crossing area a guard stepped out of the booth and put a couple cones in front of the van. He asked a few questions and then asked if I minded that they take a look in the van. Nope go right ahead. His buddy walked around to the back doors and saw the KTM decals, and what bike I had. They opened the doors looked in with flash lights, closed the doors and then we proceeded to chat about bikes for 20 minutes.
You got lucky, I just got back from Quebec City (took the NH border crossing) and spent 1 hour on the US border (not one car came or went over the border while I was there)..... even the Canadian officer asked us a million and one questions.

A few years ago coming down thru VT they decided to open the back door of my Disco w/o even asking for permission.... go figure.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #1477
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
You got lucky, I just got back from Quebec City (took the NH border crossing) and spent 1 hour on the US border (not one car came or went over the border while I was there)..... even the Canadian officer asked us a million and one questions.

A few years ago coming down thru VT they decided to open the back door of my Disco w/o even asking for permission.... go figure.
Ours was the crossing into Maine,, Sandy Bay,, Rt 6/201

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #1478
deersSlayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post

FWIW, I've never had any problems crossing at Ogdensburg, in either direction. I cross there 3 - 10 times per year, for the last 16 years. I also have bike stuff shipped to the Ogdensburg UPS store (picked up 2 wheel chocks there this morning!) Very civilized crossing, without long waits. Not much traffic, but not so little that they are bored.

But the 1 mile long bridge is see through metal cheese-grater decking, and fairly high too. Check your tire pressure before crossing, a KLR with just a few PSI is NOT fun (felt like the bike had grown some frame hinges!)
deersSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #1479
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post

They'll never take me alive!!!!

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #1480
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,434
What is this land travel card that you speak of? If I have a Passport I don't need one correct?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #1481
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
What is this land travel card that you speak of? If I have a Passport I don't need one correct?

I travel up to canada half dozen times a year, passport is all you will need.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #1482
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,212
not sure if it is the same as a 'land travel card', but there's also a 'passport' card. That is good for canada and the caribbean i think (or maybe mexico). it's a lower cost option than a full passport but it doesn't let you go everywhere.

in ny you can also get a type of drivers license that is good for crossing into canada, i believe that is called an 'enhanced' drivers license. screw paying nys anymore than necessary; i'll stick with the feds (slightly lesser of the two evils in this case).

i have both a passport and passport card.

if you have a passport it's all you need to cross the border. just tell them you are going riding with a bunch of people you met on the internet but have never met in person. they'll roll their eyes and wave you through...or they did last year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ba_ View Post
Old 04-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #1483
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
if you have a passport it's all you need to cross the border. just tell them you are going riding with a bunch of people you met on the internet but have never met in person. they'll roll their eyes and wave you through...or they did last year!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #1484
rudyunknown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
all u guys are spoilt
being the only true international who needs a visa to enter Canada, i must say u guys have it plenty easy....i got to pay $100 to get a single entry visa including all cost of shipping my passports to the embassy and waiting for 30-60 days to get my passport back.
as for the border entry in either direction, i try to act as the dumb ass indian guy stuck with smart ass american dude (sky pilot) and that balances/cancels all of the asses out of equation....and they let us pass without any trouble....

4 days of incredible riding and going thru all the visa, passport stuff is nothing.....
Vstrom 1000 For everything else

rudyunknown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #1485
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,663
Wait, Theres gonna be non Americans on this ride???

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote