I cant wait to see the finished product

kraut.burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #92
elite-less OP
As above, so below

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrage View Post
Wow... That was impressive. Looks like my /5's tank... well, ok, not quite that bad, but, pretty damned bad... not leaking - yet!.

I am presuming vinegar will eat at the tank and is probably not a good idea for a tank that is still serviceable. Any thoughts on that?

The question was a good way to subscribe to this!
bob
Give it a swirl… I bet any tank with rust or gummy buildup would benefit from a cheap vinegar cocktail.

I doubt it's no more caustic than other name brand cleaners. Most will let it sit for a day or two, and you can always dilute it with water if you're anxious about it harming the lining or tank. I wouldn't worry tho.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #93
elite-less OP
As above, so below

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraut.burner View Post
Elite, so far the bike looks fantastic!

I cant wait to see the finished product
Thanks kraut'b… Ditto with your cafe project!
Old 08-27-2011, 12:12 AM   #94
roadrage
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-less View Post
Give it a swirl… I bet any tank with rust or gummy buildup would benefit from a cheap vinegar cocktail.

I doubt it's no more caustic than other name brand cleaners. Most will let it sit for a day or two, and you can always dilute it with water if you're anxious about it harming the lining or tank. I wouldn't worry tho.
I'm not too worried. It's certainly milder than other acids... In the past I've tossed a handful of small nuts, bolts and nails in tanks before and used them in a 'slurry' with water. Maybe vinegar as another layer of scrubbing action makes sense.

I am considering running MilSpec rust converter in the tank instead of a liner. This stuff converts rust to a paintable primer which is able to withstand saltwater. Seems like it should do ok with fuel... But honestly this is a thought in it's infancy, have no data and am not 100% sure it would work... I guess worse case it would just be primer under a liner if I went that route later.

bob
Old 08-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #95
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,540
Old 08-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #96
jellycow
Back on track!

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
Just don't let BMW Euro hump it till you wash out the vinegar!

OK, I'll let it go
Ehm, it might be better for both bike and elite-less not to wash out the vinegar beforehand.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #97
Odinie
Guy Epic.

Oddometer: 234
So, um, is it too late to get in on the humping???

Old 10-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #98
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,685
I just stumbled onto this thread, followin' another one... and read it front to back... between laffin' my a off, there is some dam good stuff going on.... thank you, thank you, thank you...

(well, it IS an early fall evening with rain and a nice bottle of red... makes for good entertainment, enlightenment, and endrunkenment... all in a good way....)
Old 10-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #99
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
I just stumbled onto this thread, followin' another one... and read it front to back... between laffin' my a off, there is some dam good stuff going on.... thank you, thank you, thank you...

(well, it IS an early fall evening with rain and a nice bottle of red... makes for good entertainment, enlightenment, and endrunkenment... all in a good way....)
+1 I'm really enjoying how this bike is SO OEM, and somehow SO custom at the same time. A unique build to be sure!
Old 10-16-2011, 10:37 PM   #100
elite-less OP
As above, so below

Found a few hours to fiddle with the /5 today.

I've had fleeting moments of sanity to work on the bike lately. My house is in a perpetual state of DIY renovation, so that tends to absorb what ever energy, time and resources bleed out.

Back to the progress report....

Decided to blackout my wheel hubs in powdercoat. Reheated the hubs and tapped in new bearings.

IMG_5198

Test fit with the upgraded 17mm axle and all went smooth. Checked the preload prior to bearing install and shimmed it appropriately. I'll adjust if needed when road ready.

IMG_5187

My powdercoater attempted my controls twice, but every time they bubbled and resembled an item salvaged from sea.

They were pitted to begin with, so I just poof-canned them with chassis coat black from POR15. The perch fasteners are the original cruddy ones... I held 'em to the buffing wheel until they screamed mercy, or until they were flung across the shop.

IMG_5322

IMG_5324

My continuing parts safari turned up wide 7/8 classic street bars and a new /5 brain… albeit in white.

IMG_5269

The bucket included all the wiring along with a decent working speedo. I liked the white paint for a moment, but knew my cohorts would niggle in a stormtrooper reference… so that ended that.

Someone also added stupefying convenient fuse access to the outside of the bucket.

IMG_5286

The wiring harness is somewhat complete, however I believe it was once modified by a setscrew loathing Philistine. There were about a half dozen or so of these soldered surprises this afternoon.

IMG_5274

Todays lobotomy revealed a little cubist surprise. I'll include the bucket in my next powdercoating trip.... until then, I have some wiring to probe and too many other things to list.

IMG_5319

elite-less screwed with this post 10-16-2011 at 11:11 PM
elite-less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #101
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Hahaha, good fun this is!

The billet top triple, polished handlebar clamps, and white headlight bucket look Fantastic together! I must say I dig it!

I see from the first photo, your going with the dual driveshaft model!?! good choice
Old 10-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #102
elite-less OP
As above, so below

The white paint is decent, but it chips and flakes easily. Figure I'd deal with it now before rewiring.

If I go black I can paint the tank any color. If I leave it white.... well, that limits my color palette.

Lol, dual drive shaft... I'll drop the schematics by your shop tomorrow for a fabrication quote.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #103
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,685
May I make a suggestion about the bucket.... leave the inside white!

It makes it FAR easier to deal with wires, etc... (but then, I don't know diddly about powdercoating and maybe it cannot be done....?)

PS:.....package on its way today....
Old 10-17-2011, 08:17 AM   #104
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,973
Those handle bars look fantastic! Do you recall where you snagged them and what make they are?
Also, the switch gear looks great. Mine could use a re-painting so I may have to use what you did :)
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #105
elite-less OP
As above, so below

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
May I make a suggestion about the bucket.... leave the inside white!

It makes it FAR easier to deal with wires, etc... (but then, I don't know diddly about powdercoating and maybe it cannot be done....?)

PS:.....package on its way today....
Dang, that's OCD tidy!

I like it, and good call on the white interior. If I PC it white, they'll have no problem poofing the inside as well. Added to my list.

Thanks again for the brake rod! These small favors sure add up over time.