User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
ph0rk OP
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,048
Parking between touring cruisers

Is it just me, or do huge faired be-luggaged cruisers take up a full motorcycle space and about half of the space to either side? Ultrawide bars less than an inch from my side cases and the like is the norm.

My strom isn't exactly svelte, but trying to cram into angled spaces between some of them is a PITA. How do those of you that park at organizations with lots of riders (or more than zero) like a university navigate it?
Old 06-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Not that I normally leap to cruisers' defense, but to be fair to them, a GSA with large panniers is just as bad.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
ph0rk OP
Doesn't Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Not that I normally leap to cruisers' defense, but to be fair to them, a GSA with large panniers is just as bad.
True enough.

It isn't the width so much as the fact they lean so damn far over their bars are about at the midpoint of the next spot., whereas when I turn my bars they don't go over nearly as far.

I suppose shoehorning 5 bikes with bags into 5 spots meant for sportbikes is going to be tricky. I just wish they'd park straight rather than angled, there'd be so much more room.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #4
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
My strom isn't exactly svelte, but trying to cram into angled spaces between some of them is a PITA.
Not half as much a PITA as trying to get on your cruiser or tourer to find that some Muppet has crammed a Vstrom between yours and the next.

Don`t do it.

Park your bike elsewhere.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #5
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Quote:
True enough.

It isn't the width so much as the fact they lean so damn far over their bars are about at the midpoint of the next spot., whereas when I turn my bars they don't go over nearly as far.

I suppose shoehorning 5 bikes with bags into 5 spots meant for sportbikes is going to be tricky. I just wish they'd park straight rather than angled, there'd be so much more room.
Which brings to mind sitting with a couple of guys outside the Ear Inn a while back, as one noticed that all the BMWs were up on their center stands. He seemed to find it amusing, but it certainly mitigates this issue.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
I parked my Goldwing in a line of bikes and scooters at work yesterday. Looked like a yacht among dinghies. We angle park against a wall. It's a balance between putting it on centerstand but sticking out from the wall or on sidestand and tucked close to the wall. I find I can tuck it in tighter on sidestand.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
ph0rk OP
Doesn't Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
Not half as much a PITA as trying to get on your cruiser or tourer to find that some Muppet has crammed a Vstrom between yours and the next.

Don`t do it.

Park your bike elsewhere.
I pay the same to use the spots they do, why should I park elsewhere because they can't park properly?

Parking was fine here until that damned street glide showed up, and I'll be damned if I let 3 bikes suck up 5 or 6 spaces.

I should add that it is no more difficult for them to get out than for me to park - I don't block anyone.

ph0rk screwed with this post 06-07-2011 at 09:16 AM
ph0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,975
Quote:
I pay the same to use the spots they do, why should I park elsewhere because they can't park properly?

Parking was fine here until that damned street glide showed up, and I'll be damned if I let 3 bikes suck up 5 or 6 spaces.

I should add that it is no more difficult for them to get out than for me to park - I don't block anyone.
A different scenario entirely than the generalised question in your first post.

My response would have been different if you`d posted that you are in a pay to park bay and you are having trouble due to one particular bike that`s perhaps not parked as considerately as it could be.

Go and discuss the matter with the owner and maybe arrange so they use the part of the bay where they lean away from the other bikes.

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #9
ph0rk OP
Doesn't Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
A different scenario entirely than the generalised question in your first post.

My response would have been different if you`d posted that you are in a pay to park bay and you are having trouble due to one particular bike that`s perhaps not parked as considerately as it could be.

Go and discuss the matter with the owner and maybe arrange so they use the part of the bay where they lean away from the other bikes.

Well, the spots aren't assigned, if that is what you meant (but they aren't free, either, I pay about $170 a calendar year employees and faculty that have a car parking permit pay as little as $20 for the MC permit).

Figuring out who the owners are is tricky, there are about 500 people working in this building, and as far as I can tell there isn't a building-specific listserve. I've tried checking around lunch time but they must not take their bikes out for lunch.

It needs to hurry up and rain some more so I can be the only bike in the lot again.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
It needs to hurry up and rain some more so I can be the only bike in the lot again.
I have the exact same dynamic where work parking for my bike is concerned.
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #11
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man View Post
I have the exact same dynamic where work parking for my bike is concerned.
Heh, me too.

Nice day:

Nasty day:
Old 06-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
ph0rk OP
Doesn't Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke View Post
Heh, me too.

Nice day:

Nasty day:

Damn, at least those spots are nice and wide.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke View Post
Heh, me too.

Nice day:

Holy crap! Nice parking lot. Is that at a BMW dealership? There's one of the new K1600GTLs parked in there. There are only about 100 of those in consumer hands at the moment.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Leave your keys in it so we can carefully move it for room when we need to get out,
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #15
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Holy crap! Nice parking lot. Is that at a BMW dealership? There's one of the new K1600GTLs parked in there. There are only about 100 of those in consumer hands at the moment.
Corporate office. I get to see all the cool new stuff on display quite often.