Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
kooster OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
How to break your foot without being on your bike.

I have done dumb things before but this one might be at the top of the list.
After My friend Brian and I had a great ride filled with lots of twisties from NJ to central VT it was time to find a hotel for the night. Someone we had met along the way had called ahead to the hotel in Jamaica VT and had reserved a room for us. Upon arriving there we were told all the rooms only had a single double bed in each room. That was NOT going to work. It was the only room they had but they were gracious enough to call ahead to a place around 15 miles down the road.
Thinking we had arrived at our destination we had both put our bikes on their center stand for the night. As we were preparing to leave I started to push my bike down off the center stand and onto my side stand and did not realize my foot was in the direct path of the side stand. With the entire weight of my bike and the forward momentum being focused on the 2" X 2" bottom of my side stand it came crashing down on my left big toe. I saw stars and almost blacked out. It was like being hit with a sledge hammer. Brian on the other hand thought it was the funniest thing he had ever seen and laughed and pointed and almost dropped his own bike because he was laughing so hard. He described the look on my face as that of Mr Bill. After recovering for a few minutes I got on my bike and realized gear shifting was going to be a new lesson in pain.
After arriving at our new destination we were met by 24 year old Yana the new owner of the hotel. She was one of the most beautiful and sweetest person I had met in a long time. She was from the Ukraine and her broken english made her that more alluring. Her smile made both Brian and I melt. As our fantasy's were running wild in out heads we were brought crashing back down to earth when we discovered her husband Eric age 54 was a spy and considered one of the most dangerous and feared men in Moscow. We tried to refrain from looking at her but it was hard not to...
But I digress.
After getting up to our room I took off my boot to find a very bloody sock. From all the gear shifting my sock was now firmly pushed into my wound and again saw stars as I removed it. The next morning my foot was really hurting. Realizing we were about 7 hours from home and with the weather not looking so good and my toe hurting like hell we started heading towards home. We still tried to hit as many of the really good roads as we could. Shifting sucked but the roads were awesome.
Arriving home on Sunday removing my boot there was more blood than the night before on my sock. After I pealed off the sock I found my toe and nail was completely black. For some reason the ride home didn't make it better.
Yesterday (Memorial Day) went to the ER and had it x-rayed. Turned out I had broken off the end of my toe bone. Doc said I might have to put a pin into it to hold the end of the bone on. This sucks!!
I am going to lose the toe nail so I will have to find some kind of steel toed boot so I can shift with out seeing stars. I am not letting this ruin the summer riding plans for my trusty BMW and me . Anyone know any steel tipped motorcycle boots that would fit the bill that are not Harley style... I still have a reputation to uphold.
Kooster
kooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
kooster OP
Adventurer

The Pic

Ouch.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2011, 01:40 PM   #3
Alton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
Thread fail. Nice pic of the toe. Ouch. But you forgot pics of the hot Ukrainian girl.

I bet "mean Russian spy" is a story she and Eric put on for the guests.

Really am sorry to hear about the toe.
Alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,174

Most any MX-ish boot will be stiff enough that your toe won't take pressure when shifting. Also, you might at times shift with your heal. Many MX boots even have a little ridge on the heal to make it easier.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #5
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,120
I broke my ankle a few years ago and rode with a big strap on cast kind of thing shifting with my heel. Looked really stupid but I was not going to be out of work in the summer without riding.
After all, riding on the street, you just mostly sit there and only need to put one foot down....
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:57 PM   #6
spaiduhz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I am sorry, but i reckon it really did look funny when it happened.

This will be an interesting story to tell your children. The time papa broke his foot putting da kick stand down. Dooh!
spaiduhz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:53 AM   #7
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,391
I've done the same thing on a DL - without the carnage.

Just about any good boot will save you - mine were army surplus ;)

Luck with healing up.

Cheers
Pete

PeterW screwed with this post 06-01-2011 at 12:59 AM
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:26 AM   #8
Virginian
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Go to Wally World and get some cheap steel toed safety shoes or boots. I wear my safety shoes to work, and can't feel the shifter. An extra sock toe for padding should help too. I can empathize. Many years ago I was in a wreck and broke my leg in 3 places. Got another guy to start my bike and rode it home. Now I think I would lay there and let the volunteer medics have their fun.
Virginian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:20 AM   #9
O.C.F.RIDER
Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer: 4,839
WTF were you doing pushing the bike off the center-stand with the side-stand out??????
I've been riding for 44 years and NEVER did that.

BTW, why didn't you just call a toe-truck?

Thanks, I'll be here all month!
'75 Kawi 900 Z1...'90 Kawi ZX11...'03 Kawi ZRX 1200...'01 VOR 400E
O.C.F.RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:08 AM   #10
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,517
I was out with my girlfriend and we had a most beautiful Ukrainian waitress. I love my girlfriend and did not want to look. The GF pointed her out and commented on how beautiful she was, so of course then I "had" to look. You know, I do love this woman. This young lady was well and truly beautiful and I love the Ukrainian accent.

Sorry about the toe. Toes heal. Hope yours does well.

Steel toes, and There are some footcare padding that can be a big help.

Rod
ragtoplvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #11
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,757
I've done that same bone-headed maneuver with my GS a couple of times (I'm a slow learner.) It actually felt like what I remember as a kid of having my foot stepped on by a pony.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #12
chef_of_the_future
You talking to me?

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooster View Post
her husband Eric age 54 was a spy and considered one of the most dangerous and feared men in Moscow. .
Nice toe jam!! OUCH.

FYI...I was also a spy and one of the most feared men in Moscow and I never heard of Eric so he's obviosly a fake.

2007 1200GS
chef_of_the_future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #13
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C.F.RIDER View Post
WTF were you doing pushing the bike off the center-stand with the side-stand out??????

Man....that is a major Ouchy. Glad you're ok and have balls of soft steel!!

my bike has to have the side stand out to put the center up, could be the issue.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #14
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,549
What kind of boot were you wearing? Even with a heavy bike such as yours, a decent touring boot should have protected you from breaking your toe that front in the tip.

Hope you heal well and quick, I also take the bike off the center stand with the side stand out (it folds on top of the central, but also to let the bike rest on it in emergency if something happened) and have missed my foot for inches on occasion..
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #15
kooster OP
Adventurer

BMW Boots

Thanks for the feedback. As for my boots I wear the BMW Gortex riding boot. It is not a GS style boot.
I have a F800gs which has the stupidest center stand design out there. When you go to put the stand down. The rider foot peg keeps you from getting your foot onto the center stand lever. Really dumb.
I am vertically challenged and had the Hyperpro progressive springs installed to lower the overall height of the bike by 1.75". This adds to the center stand situation by making it a bear to get it up on the stand as the bike has to be raised higher. It's usually a 2 man job now. The physics are now all wrong. Because of the added height it is very unstable getting the bike off the stand now which is why I leave the side stand out. If it starts to tip I can usually pull it onto the side stand. It is too tall for me to be in the saddle and try to rock it off the center stand.
Attached Images