ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #151
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Some video

So we ended up calling it quits in Steamboat after riding tons of muddy, cold miles. It was raining/sleeting pretty hard in town, and we were worn out, so we just jumped on 40 and went home. The ride over Rabbit Ears was nuts because the fog was so thick you couldn't see 50 feet in front of you. Rest of the trip was pretty uneventful though. Anyway, I'm gonna put up a little report and some pictures from the trip, but for now here is a video I made. It was shot with a GoPro, Sony Nex 5, and Jay's point and shoot (I don't know the model). Enjoy:

Old 09-20-2011, 09:30 AM   #152
Raul Duke
DROC

Oddometer: 1,754
COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #153
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 1

Jay and I aren't really good planners, and the planning member of the Wolfpack wasn't coming on the ride, so our planning for the ride was to download CannonShot's tracks to our GPS and get a list of stuff we needed for the trip. We kind of had an idea that we wanted to get to Banff in 3 days and spend 7 riding home and that we probably wouldn't make it to New Mexico, but we'd give it a good college try.

We had a shared google doc so we could try not to overlap to much crap and keep the bikes at a lean and mean 500lbs or so....We both pre-loaded the bikes a night or two before the trip:

Jay test packing his BMW.

Test pack complete

We decided to get out as early as possible on Thursday, so I got to Jay's house at like 10am and he was still working on the bike:

Not to worry though, we'd just haul even more ass than we originally planned ...

I think we got on the road at around noon:30 er something, and smashed the skinny pedal Margret. We had a quick lunch in Chyenne and then headed towards Cody. We ended up stopping in Shoshoni, WY to get gas and beer. The only bar in town was also the only liquor store. We pulled up to the drive through, and one of the town drunks stuck his head out the window and waved us in. There was a variety of domestics to choose from including Bud Light, Bud, Coors, and Coors Light. Surprisingly, they didn't have any Dales that I could see.

Jay tried to talk to some drunk guy at the bar, but they couldn't understand his Boston accent or something, so we just left. We ended up camping at Boysen State Park just north of Shoshoni:

We got up pretty early and while cooking breakfast, Jay yells "BOBCAT!!". I basically jump over the picnick table and Jay bursts in to laughter. I look back and it's a stray cat wondering into our campsite. We were a little late getting out because I had to clean out my riding pants.

More to follow....
Old 09-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #154
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 2

Day two turned out to be some of the best pavement twisties I've had in a long time. Apparently Jay had the forsight to ask some peeps on the Colorado Sportbike Club about good roads leading up to America's Attic so we ended up riding State Hwy 296 (a.k.a Chief Joseph Hwy) to Beartooth Hwy and overlook. Being Friday, there was hardley any traffic, and the roads were in great shape. We pretty much hauled ass the whole way through, and then realized we hadn't stopped to take any pictures, so we turned around and went back:

Once we staged took a bunch of good ADV photos, we ripped down to Red Lodge, MT. Red Lodge is a cool ski town and had some great restuarants and beer. We had some lunch and admired our days work:

About half way through linner, we realized we hadn't gone very far at all. This worried us. We'd now have to really haul ass well into the night. We took off and road fast for what seemed like forever:

We ended up riding until about 9:30 at night and found ourselfs at an RV place just East of Great Falls, MT in a dinky town called Belt. The lady that ran this place was....um...not friendly. Reminded me of the land lady from the movie Kingpin.

We setup our tent, ate, and crashed:

See you soon...same bat time, same bat channel.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #155
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 3

The only redeeming quality about the RV joint we stayed in, was the shower in the morning. The shower was scullding hot, which is a great way to wake up. Jay packed his load, and it seemed to be growing in size:

Plan was to change Jay's rear tire in Great Falls so after breakfast, we googled around for shops. Turns out we were like a block from a local shop. After ringing them up, we headed over to Metzger's Cycles and Accessories - http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Metzge...src=0&t=m&z=15

We went in and asked them if they cared if we took the tire off out front, and they said, "Sure either that or the garage in back". We went around back and they let us pull the bikes in and go to work. Let us use their tools and everything. They made quick work of Jay's tire, and helped us out with a broken break pad on Jay's bike. Offered us free soda, and let us fill our water up. I can't say enough about these guys. It's so nice to go to a small used bike shop like this versus the whack ass stealerships we're all used to. They even invited us back for an anual cross country scooter ride.

Awesome shop in Great Falls, MT

We left Great Falls headed for Calgary. Didn't take too much time to get to the border, but it was a boring HW ride for sure. Once we got to Calgary, we looked for food and decided to look for a campsite later. Had some good pizza and a local beer or too before looking for a place to pitch the tents. We ended staying at the Calgary West Campground. Do yourself a favor, and don't. Jay said we couldn't actually say that we camped that night, instead it had to be called sleeping outside. I guess his logic was there was a pimped out Escalade on 20 inch wheels half parked in our "camp site" and we were directly across from an 18 hole put put course:

You can see the fence to the PP course in this shot:

Drying our stuff in the sun

Not much really to report on this day.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #156
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 4

Next morning, we got up and had breakfast in camp so we could get on the road. We were only 45 mins to an hour from Banff, which in Canada time is like 45mins I think...Anyway, we got to Banff, and headed for food. We ended up eatting at The Eddie and I had one of the best burgers I've ever had:

After lunch, we drove around and took some pictures:

Then we headed for the trail head in MT. Got our first taste of dirt outside of Bannf on a really long, fun dirt road:

We crused into BC where the roads got twisty. We of course stopped at the big truck:

While we were parked, I noticed something had happened to Jay's light protector:

Broken headlight protector

We went and got some clear packing tape thanks to a tip from a fellow BMW rider parked in the lot across the street:

Fixed Jay's broken light protector

From here, we high tailed it to Eureka, MT and crashed at an RV place. They had a really nice shower that came in super handy in the cold morning.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #157
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
why do I feel like I've heard this story somewhere recently??
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #158
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Did Jay post something to CSC?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:15 PM   #159
zendirt
Circus Clown Dropout

Oddometer: 104
Interesting to see/hear the same ride from different eyes....
zendirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #160
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 5

Got up the next morning and rolled down main street until we found a place to eat. Ended up at Cafe Jax in Eureka, MT:

Plan was to eat and boggie, but then a couple of Canadian ladies started chatting us up about the trip. Ended up spending the better part of an hour talking to them. Seemed super cool, and maybe we've got a place to ski in BC this year.

We got on the trail and turned into hooligans. All that super slabbing on the way up had taken its toll on us. Next thing you know we're drag racing down National Forest roads. We rolled on pretty fast, and I didn't take many pictures for the first few hours. Just needed to settle into my dirt groove I guess. Anyway, we happened upon a group of fellow ADVers at a lake in MT:

Gery

The two guys on the XT 225s were just about to finish up the CDR. They start in NM. Check out their RR here:

http://www.xt225.com/forums/ubbthrea...r=87282&page=1

We got back on the trail, and a few minutes later we ran into a few guys on KLRs from Canada. We bitched to them about the price of gas and beer, and moved on. They did mention we should check out a fire lookout if we got a chance.

We rode down into Whitefish, MT and refueled and then had some lunch. Shortly after that, we went up to Hungry Horse Res to check out the dam:

Jay is riding across it here:

Jay on the damn

rtadlock screwed with this post 09-20-2011 at 06:58 PM
rtadlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #161
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 6

We ended up going a little further south and camping at Rainy Lake:

Food storage in bear country

Got up and going and had breakfast in camp. Gas in Seely Lake, and then back onto dirt. Not too far up the road, we ran into a lookout:

Spotting wild fires

We took off with the intentions of making it to Helena. We had a pretty good pace going most of the day and stopped in Licoln for some food and gas:

Stopped at Walmart in Helena to get some more freeze dried food and gas and then headed for the National Forest. This is about the time a fuggin old guy pulls out in front of me and almost ends my trip. I locked it up, skid to one side, and decided I'm not going to be able to stop with my balding front tire and the excessive speed I was doing, so I shoot the gap on the left between the ditch and his now stopped truck. He paniced and just sat there like a deer in the head lights. My right rotopax touched his bumper as I went by. Put a crease in his bumper is all. Those rotopax tanks are tough. Anyway, it was about 70% his fault for just bombing out of his drive way without looking (I mean it is a dirt road, he probably never sees people back there) and 30% my fault for going too fast. Oh well, no harm, no foul.

When I catch up to Jay, I tell him "I just fucking hit some guy and took off". I was still high on adrenaline, so I guess that's how it came out. I didn't mention to him that I got out and talked to the guy. Anyway, a little down the road, Jay stops and as I roll up to him goes "you know you're a fugative now?"....

So a bit later, we come across a huge hill climb right before our camp for the night. We decide it's best to try to climb it. Jay goes first and throws down the gaulnet. I have no problem going up, but I turn around and like the arrogant bastard I am, just start right back down the hill. Before I know it, I can't stop, and my front and back tires are pretty much locked up. I end up hitting a rock and doing a front flip off the bike. Jay said it looked like one of those ski videos where the guy just ejects from his skis...

Finally we find a camp site:

Before we left, I think Jay read ever single story he could find on google regarding bear attacks this year. He had me freaked the whole time. Anyway, we're laying in our tents, and I just hear "Rob, you hear that?"

Me: "No"
Jay: "You can't hear that?"
Me: "Dude, I don't hear anything."

Silence.........

Jay: "I know you heard that!"
Me: "I swear man, I don't hear anything"

At this point, my heart is racing. I have pretty shitty hearing, so I'm just preparing for a surprise attack at this point.

Me: "Shit, I think I heard it"

I'm pretty sure it was just my mind at this point.

Jay: "Get out of your tent"
Me: "You get out"
Jay: "I'm already out"

So I get out and turn my headlight on. This is when I see a part of Jay I've never seen before. He gets all serious and covert ops.

Jay: "Shhh, shhh. No lights!"
Me: "No lights?"
Jay: "No lights!"

We walk towards the feild.

Jay: "You see those eyes?"

He flashes his light, and sure enough I see four eyes. This is about the time my pants filled up for the second time this trip. Anyway, we look at them for a bit longer, and they seem to move off a ways.

Jay: "Shit, what if they flank us?"
Me: "Dude, I don't think bears travel in packs"
Jay: "Good point, let's walk closer"

We walk closer, and realize they are cows. Then we decide that this is good, as we believe the bears will take a cow before us...
Old 09-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #162
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderScott View Post
Nice. How's your 990 do after being rear ended?
Rides fine and everything seems fine, but I did notice that there is some grease or something leaking from what seems the swing arm bearings on one side. The same ones that Elite "thoroughly inspected"...I'm going to try to get the bearings replaced by the insurance company. I'm going to get that BS started this week.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #163
Aracheon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post

Before we left, I think Jay read ever single story he could find on google regarding bear attacks this year. He had me freaked the whole time. Anyway, we're laying in our tents, and I just hear "Rob, you hear that?"

Me: "No"
Jay: "You can't hear that?"
Me: "Dude, I don't hear anything."

Silence.........

Jay: "I know you heard that!"
Me: "I swear man, I don't hear anything"

At this point, my heart is racing. I have pretty shitty hearing, so I'm just preparing for a surprise attack at this point.

Me: "Shit, I think I heard it"

I'm pretty sure it was just my mind at this point.

Jay: "Get out of your tent"
Me: "You get out"
Jay: "I'm already out"

So I get out and turn my headlight on. This is when I see a part of Jay I've never seen before. He gets all serious and covert ops.

Jay: "Shhh, shhh. No lights!"
Me: "No lights?"
Jay: "No lights!"

We walk towards the feild.

Jay: "You see those eyes?"

He flashes his light, and sure enough I see four eyes. This is about the time my pants filled up for the second time this trip. Anyway, we look at them for a bit longer, and they seem to move off a ways.

Jay: "Shit, what if they flank us?"
Me: "Dude, I don't think bears travel in packs"
Jay: "Good point, let's walk closer"

We walk closer, and realize they are cows. Then we decide that this is good, as we believe the bears will take a cow before us...

Watching/hearing you explain this part of the story in person was hands down the funniest fucking thing I think I've ever heard.

2014 KTM SDR
Aracheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #164
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post
Did Jay post something to CSC?
you have way more cool pics though
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #165
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
you have way more cool pics though
I think I stole most of his picks too

I don't know how you remember this stuff so good, it all melted into one long day for me..... you must have been taking notes. I got all the days mixed up in my RR.