ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #166
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
You missed the part when you got attacked by a 6 inch tall dog. I thought it was going to take down the mighty 990!
Old 09-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #167
ColoSean
Yard-sale Expert

Oddometer: 648
Good write-up Rob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aracheon View Post
Watching/hearing you explain this part of the story in person was hands down the funniest fucking thing I think I've ever heard.
I agree! I wish you could have gotten "Military Jay" on video. It would probably be funnier than watching him crash and run by you (which I watched 50 times and it keeps getting funnier).
ColoSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #168
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Day 7

We had a cold morning in Helena, but not to worry, we had some pretty tough single track to tackle which got the body moving. We didn't actually have to take the section we did, as the main trail is a lot easier, but we wanted to see what it was all about. There's some video of this section in the video I linked earlier, but I guess we didn't really take any pictures. After we got out of the tough section, we got back on to fast forest roads. We were cruising a long when this guy ran across:

Nice buck outside Helena, MT

From Helena, we road into some awesome high alpine meadows and down this wicked steep hill. It was a sustained 300 yard steep hill. With all the weight in the back, the ass end of the KTM kept trying to pass me up.

From here we got a few rain drops, and then on into Butte. I needed a new front tire at this point, so we hit up a cool moto shop that was listed in CannonShot's waypoint list:

Getting a new front tire in Butte, MT

New front tire in Butte, MT

These guys had me in and out in no time, and it was only $10 to mount and balance....nice. From Butte, we headed south through some nice dirt roads and into the most expansive valley I've ever been in. The small amount of rain made the roads tacky and kept the dust down. We were just loving life and taking it all in. One of the best days riding I've ever had.

Eagle on the fence

Long, lonely road

We didn't stop to take many pictures because we were having so much fun, but we did stop and do a lot of this:

At the end of the valley, we ran into the little town of Lima. We talked about going on, but we decided to get a motel for the night since we had been camping for days and we both wanted a shower and to wash clothes. We went to dinner, had a few beers, and I was asleep before I knew it.

Invading a motel
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #169
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 8

Because we didn't have to pack up our camping gear, we were able to eat at the local diner and be on the road by 7:30. This has to be some kind of record. Our normal KSU time is like 10 or 11. We knew is was going to be a big mileage day though.

The day started off with a shit load of fog:

Morning fog

It was so thick we had to slow down to like....50. How were we ever going to make time at 50mph? The fog burned of quickly, however, and before we knew it we were in the Targhee National Forest. This turned out to be my favorite section of the ride by far. Really pretty, tons of fun loomy sand to ride in, and a lot of riding:

And our first sign of bear life:

We made it down to the Bridger National Forest and camped there for the night. We pushed hard and were beat when we finally got to camp. Turned out to be the coldest night of camping too:

Cold night camping

The ride across WY into Rawlins turned out to be pretty long and boring. For the most part, I feel like I could have skipped WY all together on this trip and not missed it at all, although it did have its moments:

Crossing the divide in WY

We pushed all the way to Aspen Alley about 15 miles North of CO and camped there for the night:

Aspen alley

It was a nice sunny evening and we split a 6 pack of Old Chub that we picked up in Rawlins. That, coupled with the nice fire we had going, made for a later night than usual. About 4am, it started raining though...
Old 09-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #170
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

I agree with skipping Wyoming and holy shit that hill was steep! I think it was called Fleecer Drop.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #171
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
Good write-up Rob!

I agree! I wish you could have gotten "Military Jay" on video. It would probably be funnier than watching him crash and run by you (which I watched 50 times and it keeps getting funnier).
No F'n around if you're gonna get eatin by a bear!
Old 09-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #172
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,869
Bears should have been the least of your worries. Didn't you know it's Man-bear-pig mating season? They aren't too particular about which species or gender they select.

Did you guys take proper precautions and hang up your food at night? That is the main issue with bears. I did this most nights on our Canadia trip. We saw three black bears. Paula was a bit worried. As an easy safety measure, I kept some firecrackers and a lighter near the door of the tent. In the event of nocturnal bear visits I figured that tossing lit fireworks outside would scare them off.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:48 PM   #173
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Bears should have been the least of your worries. Didn't you know it's Man-bear-pig mating season? They aren't too particular about which species or gender they select.

Did you guys take proper precautions and hang up your food at night? That is the main issue with bears. I did this most nights on our Canadia trip. We saw three black bears. Paula was a bit worried. As an easy safety measure, I kept some firecrackers and a lighter near the door of the tent. In the event of nocturnal bear visits I figured that tossing lit fireworks outside would scare them off.
Yeah, we hung our food up at night. One of the camps we stayed at in MT even had a large pole to hang your food from (I think I pictured it some where back in one of the posts). I was telling Jay that I don't know why people are so scared of the bears, it's going to be a cow popping out of the trees in the national forest that was going to get us. Damn things are everywhere and all over the road and in the trees.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #174
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 9

Guess I need to wrap this up huh?

So there isn't much to say about last day. It started raining about 4 or 5am and didn't break until about 7am. We jumped out of the tents and packed up as quickly as we could as there were dark clouds all around. I told Jay is was going to be a miserable day and off we went. We road into CO pretty quickly, but had to make a decision on some closed roads, so we ended up using some of Big Dog's tracks for this section instead of CannonShot's. It had literally been raining on us for a few hours already, and we were cold and wanted something hot to drink and a place to warm up when low and behold we roll up on to a cafe/bed and breakfast in what still seems like the middle of some mountain side far away from anywhere:

Oasis in the rain

We parked expecting to get some coffee as there were two signs that said open up, and when we got up to the door, we found a "Be back soon" note...shit.

So we waited maybe 15 mins and decided no one was going to show, so we got back at it. The trails got pretty rocky and slick North of Steamboat, and 8 days solid of riding had taken it's toll on us both. We got to a spot marked in the GPS tracks as "steap rocky hill climb" and sure enough that's what it was. As this point, there was a river of water running down the center, and it was so slick I could barley get enough traction to walk up and check it out. Since I had the most aggressive tire, I decided to take a run at it first. No sense in Jay trying if my wheel was just going to spin silly. I got a good run at it, and made it over the first hump without problem. Hit the second rough section, and my rear tire broke loose, and I had to fight her all the way to the top. I made it, but new Jay was going to put on a show with his rear tire, so I told him to hold on so I could come help.

What I was really doing was getting the camera out and positioned to catch this shit show on video...

He got a good run at it, and when he hit the second hill climb, he grabbed a handful of throttle and spun out up hill (you can see it in the video linked above):

Jay's up hill tip over in the slippery mud

The funny part was the hill was so steep, he couldn't stop and ran right past me, and I was just laughing my ass off. As he runs by he yells "I can't stop!!"

It took both of us to get his bike up in the slick mud. We just couldn't get any traction.

So after we got back on track, we just pushed hard right into Steamboat. It rained the whole time and was pouring pretty good when we got to a gas station in SB. We decided to find a laundromat and dry our stuff and eat some lunch. Over lunch we decided to just jump on 40 and head home. It was still raining, and there was no end in sight according to the weather app on our phones.

All in all, it was a great trip. We had planned to make it to at least Breckenridge, and we came up a little short. We had a ton of fun though, and I can't wait to finish the southern part of the trail next summer.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #175
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Mexico to Colorado Summer of 2012 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baja in the fall ???????????????
Old 09-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #176
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,693
I finally watched the video, that was AWESOME!

I'm still laughing about him running down the muddy hill after crashing. Classic
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #177
Luke wl.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Looks like you get into some awesome stuff! If you want another KTM Adv tagging along I'd love to join next ride. Self sufficient and can keep up!

Ride report.

2005 XR650R
1968 Triumph Bobber
2008 Husqvarna cr125
Luke wl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #178
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Cool, I'll let you know next time we all get out.