ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #16
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,235
Well Kim is for sure....
Old 06-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #17
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff View Post
It would appear that someone needs a good skidplate with a touch of side protection.
Already ordered!
Old 06-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #18
fasterlaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by amorton View Post
I am going to show this to my fiance for inspiration! I want to get her into riding.
I was thinking the exact same thing amorton.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #19
Captain Hindsight
Banned

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post

Luckily though, Jay got a video the next go:

When coming off a steep hill, she should keep her weight back and be prepared to push hard.
Captain Hindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:04 AM   #20
Downhill Dave
Busco aventura

Oddometer: 634
Kim displays perfect form going over Lil'Dirt Mountain!

"Perfect" to a dirt biker is defined as at least one foot on a peg, one hand on a grip, and most of the bike underneath you. Real control is over-rated.

As an owner of a DRzS and ex-owner of a DRzSM I think you picked a great bike for Kim but can't you get some pink plastic to match ATGATT? Then I guess you can't mooch her bike in a manly way though .
Downhill Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #21
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Switz round 2

We didn't get on the road until like 2 today because I was busy putting new HDB hand guards on my bike and a pro moto billet rack on Suzy. Love the HDB stuff BTW, but that's another thread all together. We decided to just hit the Switzerland trail again but go up four mile instead of Sugar Loaf:

Also, Kim was ademit she wanted to work on her stand up:

Kim working on her stand up

It was wicked hot in Boulder, and only cooled what felt like 2 or 3 degrees by the time we go to Gold Hill. This lead to us taking a few breaks and me messing around on the trail while Kim cooled off. Luckily, the KTM over heated before I did, and forced me to take a break too:

Having some fun

Taking a break

When we got to the end of the trail, we both started messing around a bit:

We headed back down Boulder Canyon and headed for home. We decided to hit up the car was before we got home:

Washing the bikes

Once we got home it was time for the first BBQ of the summer:

First BBQ of the summer

Officially summer...got the smoker out!

Dinner time

All in all, it was another great day riding. I'm getting laser eye surgery this next week, so we probably won't be riding next weekend. The weekend after that though, I think we're going to have a good long camping trip....
Old 07-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #22
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Tiger Road

Kim and I were originally going to go to Chickfest, but I forgot about it until last minute, and we couldn't find anyone to watch the dog. We weren't going to waste the weekend though, so we decided to head up to a place that I've been riding at since I was like 16 and take our dog with us. I just call it Tiger Rd because that's the raod that leads in, but I'm sure it has a real name:

View Larger Map

GPX tracks from my ride this weekend

This place is fun because it's right near the Colorado trail, so you can ride motos, ride mountain bikes, and hike all from one place. Also, there are TONS of trails to ride and you can take Georgia pass over to Fairplay and it's close enough to Breck and Frisco that we ride into town to get lunch often times.

Anyway, we decided that I needed a support vehicle for this expedtion (all the pros have them right?) so Kim drove up the truck with her bike in the back and carried all the stuff:

Man I love car camping

Come on dad, let's get this show on the road

I followed her up and we stopped in Frisco to grab gas for my bike before looking for a camp site. When we got up there, there was some atv/off road club having some kind of event up there as well as the Breck 100 mountain bike race, so it didn't look like we were going to find a spot to camp. Lucikly though two girls flagged us down that had laid claim to a spot and then quickly got their truck stuck trying to check out anohter one. We unloaded Kim's bike and Kim went to work saving two damsels in distress:

Kim saves two damsels in distress

The girls invited us to just stay in their campsite, so we set up shop there. They were going to the beer fest in Breck and said they'd bring us some beer back for saving their lives .

We hardley got our tent up before it started raining pretty hard, so we decided to just hang out and take a nap:

Waiting out the rain

The rain stopped and we decided to go for a hike since the CO trail was right there. We set out to wearing out the dog before riding:

Taking Bailey for a hike

We hiked a few miles until the dog was worn out and then turned back. By this time the mosquitos were wicked bad and we forgot to bring bug spray. We decided to ride into Frisco and get some spary and eat some din din:

We rode in town for lunch on Saturday

We ate at italian at Bagalis on Main st. I give it 3 stars, mostly due to it being a tad over priced for the portions. Ah whatever. So we headed back to the camp site, and our new friends were back and had the fire going:

The girls we helped out came back and camped with us

We sat around the fire for a bit and had a few beers. The rain moved in shortly after dark so we hit the sack. It rained lighly most of the night. I slept pretty good and got up around 6am to let the dog out and get the coffee going. I messed around for a bit and took a few pictures of the bikes:

Kim's bike waiting patiently

Our new friends bombed out pretty early so it was just me and the dog. Kim got up and we decided to take Bailey on another hike before our ride. Got back to camp about 10:30 and then suited up. It was pretty hot, but not too bad. We first decided to ride to the top of Tiger Rd. as I knew it wasn't too bad and I didn't want to get Kim in over her head. She made quick work of that:

Kim's first techincal ride

We headed back down and I scouted out another trail that I remember being pretty technical:

Going to do some more scouting

It turned out I was right, so we decided to head up towards Georgia pass:

Kim ripped through this busted drainage ditch

I took my GoPro, but didn't get a ton of footage because I had some videos from another camera on the card that I forgot to delete that took up most of the space and didn't want to blindly format the card from the camera. I did get enough footage to put a little video of Kim together:

We packed up around 3 and we barely beat the afternoon rain. We jumped on I-70 and it started down pouring. Of course traffic was at a dead stop because it was Sunday afternoon, so I got totally soaked. I finally jumped on the shoulder when I saw a group of 5 bikes go by and we road it all the way out of the storm. I jumped back in traffic and sat there for another hour before it broke up. When I got home, I was feeling pretty tired:

Made it home

All in all, another great weekend of riding. Kim's getting better by the ride, and she's getting more and more hooked every time we ride.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #23
CrazyLegs
In midlife crisis.

Oddometer: 65
Nice!

Hey, nice ride guys. A couple of friends and I from Breck rode Georgia pass on Sat during the bike race, but I don't remember crossing paths. I had a little trouble on one of the muddy bits, but we all made it up and over.My 990, a GS650, and a Suzuki 175, then we came back on Boreas pass, pretty much missed the rain till we hit the bar back in town.

Glad you got down the mountain OK, the evening storm here was pretty intense. Tons of rain, hail, lightning, for a couple of hours.

Jim
Old 07-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #24
BuilderScott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Looks like a fun time!

BuilderScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #25
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLegs View Post
Hey, nice ride guys. A couple of friends and I from Breck rode Georgia pass on Sat during the bike race, but I don't remember crossing paths. I had a little trouble on one of the muddy bits, but we all made it up and over.My 990, a GS650, and a Suzuki 175, then we came back on Boreas pass, pretty much missed the rain till we hit the bar back in town.

Glad you got down the mountain OK, the evening storm here was pretty intense. Tons of rain, hail, lightning, for a couple of hours.

Jim
Yeah, didn't do much riding Saturday because we didn't get camp setup till about 1 after helping the girls out and stuff. We did wait out that intense storm over night though. It was raining hard at one point and there was a lot of lightning. I'll probably be heading up to Georgia pass to go over it on my 990 soon. Going to talk to a few of my buddies I ride with and see if they want to do it. Maybe we'll cross paths, or we can ride a bit and you can show me what's up there.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:37 AM   #26
ColoSean
Yard-sale Expert

Oddometer: 648
Who chose the song for the video? For some reason it doesn't really seem like it fits Kim's personality.

Great stuff, Rob!
ColoSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #27
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
Who chose the song for the video? For some reason it doesn't really seem like it fits Kim's personality.

Great stuff, Rob!
Man, everyone has been giving me shit over that song. Even Kim was all "Damn, what's up with the angry music?". Next time she gets elevator music .
Old 07-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #28
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Kim's first big ride!

Kim and I have been wanting to do a big ride with a lot of dirt ever since she really started getting comfy on her steed. We love to ski in Steamboat, but we've never really been in the summer, so we decided this was the ultimate destination. As it turns out, our pals Sean and Ang, had recently completed a big loop into Steamboat. I figured I'd hit Sean up as I'm lazy, and I figured Sean would have his shit together. He gladly sent his route over and I went to work. By "went to work", I mean I just watched TV.

The next day, I added a small change to Sean's route, created a track out of it, and then made 4 different routes out of it since my stupid Nuvi can't load/follow tracks:

Tracks from a 3 day DS ride

That following weekend, we loaded up, and headed out:

About to leave

And we're off

The first part of Friday was spent on twisty two lane roads. I really had a hell of a time on Co Rd 27:

Our first stop

Gas in Estes Park

Our second stop

The best paved road of the trip

We didn't hit dirt until Co Rd 69, and it couldn't happen fast enough. We took this up to Red Feathers and decided it was time for some food. At this time is was about 3pm Friday:

Stopping for some lunch

A good beer after a long ride

Yoink

We were gassing up in Red Feathers, and I asked Kim to run in and pay for the fuel. She came back out and said the lady inside wanted to talk to me about my route. I guess she asked Kim where we were heading, and the clerk thought our route was closed. I went in and talked to her, and she almost had me convinced she was right. Then I remembered Sean and Ang had recently taken this road, so I called up Sean and asked him about my route. He thought it was open too, so we decided to push on. Turns out, that lady was full of shit, as I thought. We road another 30 miles of dirt that night, and ended up camping at State Wild Life area. I can't remember the name, but the place was right off of the road we were travelling, and had a bunch of camping spots with pre cut fire wood:

View Larger Map

It was views like this all Friday evening and all Saturday

Kim testing out the placement of the tent

Our camp site

Apparently, this was also an open rage:

Kim loves cows I guess

Kim loves cows, so she tried to talk me out of chasing them off with the DRZ. That didn't happen. I rode head on into danger, and at the last second, the cows split. I then got back to the important things:

Got the fire going

We had some neighbors down the road, so I walked down to ask them if I could buy a few beers from them since we didn't carry any. They were super nice and insisted that we just take a few beers and even let us borrow a few of their spare camp chairs:

I walked over and asked our neighbors to buy a beer

Both of us were pretty beat, so we didn't make a late night of it. Kim hopped in her bag, and was out in all of about 30 seconds:

Kim fell asleep in no time

I slept pretty good until those damn cows start mooing their ass off at 3am. I was up until about 4, and then slept pretty much till 8. We hopped up, and it was already damn hot. I made some oat meal and coffee (Kim doesn't move until you poor coffee into her gullet):

About to make breakfast and coffee

Kim has to have her coffee while we camp

Both of us felt pretty refreshed, and you could tell by the spirited riding from both of us:

Saturday was by far my favorite day of the trip. It was 99% dirt, and we saw a ton of wild life:

Antelope

Chambers lake

Yes, this is a freaking huge moose. It's the first one I've ever seen:

Moose!

Taking a break

On our way to Steamboat

When we got to Steamboat, it was HOT. I got on Yelp and looked up a place to eat, and we found The Boathouse Pub. It was a 20 minuate wait, so we found some shade and copped a squat:

Waiting for lunch in Steamboat

This place has great food to compliment a great view of the river:

Another beer after another long ride

Watching people float the river

We booked a room at the Steamboat Hotel and after lunch it was just about check in time. We high tailed it to the hotel, parked the bikes and roshambo'd for the shower.

I don't have any pictures from Saturday night because I forgot the camera at the hotel. As it turns out, my buddy Brandon was in town for a mountain bike race, so he picked us up in his car and took us down town. We all had dinner at Mahogany Ridge Brewery, and then Brandon split because he had to get up early. Kim and I decided to bar hop until 1am, and our last stop was to watch some live music at The Old Town Pub. We got good and shitty, and then called a cab. We waited forever for the cab, and finally the door man told us his friend would give us a ride.

We went outside, and his friend had a few other guys in his van, and they were going to the same hotel as us. Sweet, a free ride!

Kim was ripped on Sunday morning, and I knew it was going to be a long day for her, so I cut out the dirt I had planned for the day, and we just headed towards the pavement portion of the trip. This included a ride over Trail Ridge Rd since neither of us had ever gone over it. Sure it was expensive, and there were a shit load of cars, but the views freaking rocked :

On our way up Rabbit Ears pass

Taking a break

Heard of elk hanging out

Near the top of Trail Ridge Rd

We caught a little rain on the down side of TR, but nothing bad. Our return route was the same as the way out, and Kim wanted me to get a picture of this cool churge on HW 72:

A church on HWY 72

The last place we stopped on the way home was this Mexican place in Coal Creek Canyon called Wondervu Cafe. Do yourself a favor and skip this shit hole if you're ever in CCC. It's WAY overpriced and the food sucks. I'm not sure how you fuck up a burrito, but this place managed it just fine, and the service blows.

All told, we rode 525.3 miles in 3 days. It was a ridiculously good trip, and Kim and I even ended it with a good old fashioned drag race on 92nd near our house (I'm pretty sure she let me win). Can't wait to do it again.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #29
D-Train
Ridin' Dirty

Oddometer: 1,232
Awesome Rob! Great to see you guys out riding and camping Kim is looking more and more comfortable every ride
Old 07-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #30
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
Awesome pics!