ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #31
ColoSean
Yard-sale Expert

Oddometer: 648
Wow, that area/route looks really familiar!

Sweet pics, man!
ColoSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #32
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
Wow, that area/route looks really familiar!

Sweet pics, man!
Yeah dude, thanks again for a freaking great ride. Also, can you be on standby for all my future endeavors? I like having a home base to call and get support info...
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #33
ColoSean
Yard-sale Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtadlock View Post
Also, can you be on standby for all my future endeavors? I like having a home base to call and get support info...
I'll be on standby until your next trip!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #34
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,692
Awesome!

Thanks for sharing.

The new eyes must be feeling good.

You two, sure are having fun.
toddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #35
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

The eyes are freaking awesome Todd! Best decision ever. See ya up at Oskar Blues soon?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #36
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,692
Quote:
The eyes are freaking awesome Todd! Best decision ever. See ya up at Oskar Blues soon?
They will only get better. Mine kept improving for about 6 months.
toddler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #37
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,932
You're a lucky man!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:32 AM   #38
RockyMtnScotsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
The eyes are freaking awesome Todd! Best decision ever.
I had the LasIK procedure 10 years ago and my only regret was not doing it sooner. Even now 10 yrs down the road I'm beginning to use readers from time to time for close work, but I'll gladly take that trade off vs wearing glasses all the time or contacts that I could only tolerate for a few hours at a time.
1973 Moto Guzzi 850 El Dorado
2005 Honda CRF230F (wife's bike)
RockyMtnScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #39
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post
You're a lucky man!
Oh don't I know...
Old 07-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #40
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

The Wolfpack rides again!

You may or may not remember seeing pictures from the Wolfpack's first ride earlier this summer, which was to Moab. We pretty much left total distruction in our wake for 5 days. Anyway, Jay (bodhizafa) and I got together and stole the girls DRZs, but the entire Wolfpack hasn't ridden since the Moab trip. That all changed yesterday. Sean (Dejavu), the route planner and weatherman of the group, layed out a little track that goes something like this:

A day ride

You'll notice there is a little disconect between the two tracks near Breckenridge. This is where the "adventure" would come in.

We all met at Sean's house at 7:30 and had breakfast:

I'd say we were on the road by 9:30ish. We headed up 93 to Golden Gate Canyon. We rode slowly up GGC and then turned left on to some dirt road that Jay (the navigator of the Wolfpack) said was the right way.

Sooner or later we found ourself near Black Hawk, but somehow got off the track:

Where the F are we?

We eventually got back on track, and high tailed it to Idaho Springs on some fun dirt roads:

Once we got there we jumped on I-70 up to Georgetown. I talked Jay and Sean into riding up Saxon mountain, as I had ridden up in ton my 990 before and didn't remember it being that bad:

As it turns out, it was rockier than I remember, and we weren't looking to waste too much energy as we knew we had a lot of work cut out for us trying to connect the two routs at 12k feet later in the day. We turned back about half way, and headed for Guanella. For a little ways up Guanella the contruction company had a pilot car lead groups of cars up at like 7 miles an hour. Jay tried to convience me (the guinne pig of the Wolfpack) to go ask the pilot car if we could pass since we were on motos, and you know obviously could handle the dirt. Needless to say, we stayed were we were. We had a fun slow ride over the nice fresh pavement on Guanella once they let us free:

Then we dropped down on to 285 and headed for Boreas pass:

A field of wild flowers

Once off Boreas, we decided to eat before the big push. We stopped in at Breckenridge Brewery and had a beer and some food, but not before taking like 5 minutes to postion the bikes:

Getting some lunch in Breck

After lunch we headed north out of Breck and turned right onto Tiger rd. We went right at the bridge when tiger rd splits off and headed up Middle Fork I believe:

The climb started to get more and more technical, and the wheather started moving in:

Clouds rolling in

Jay's bike

You can barley see my bike up the trail:

Can you see my bike up there?

Soon the altitude started strangling Seans steed. She started to sputter and wouldn't fire up any longer. I was a couple hundred yards ahead on the trail at this point, so I stopped and walked back down to see what was going on:

I parked here to wait for the gang

As it turns out Sean's battery was now almost too weak to start the bike, so we decided to try to jump it:

Trying to jump start a dead bike

The bike still wasn't firing to life, so we decided to put my bike and Sean's bike back to back and bump start them (I think Sean has a video). That didn't work either even at lower altitude, so we were starting to wonder if something else was going on with the big KTM. At this point it started raining like hell:

It started to rain pretty hard on the way back

We decided to roll the bike back down the ruff trail and then let me strait leg the bike into town. It was pretty taxing on Sean to get the bike down, but once we got off the steep rocking trail, we flipped down Sean's buddy peg, and I pushed him all the way to Frisco. It's pretty sketch doing 50 mph while pushing your buddy on his lifless bike...

Once we got back in town, we called Kim and Ang to bring my truck up and take the bike home. We're not sure, but it seems like the plugs got fouled or the fuel pump went out or something. Keep in mind, I'm not a mechanic, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I'll let Sean speak to the offical malfunction when he gets around to figuring it out.

Until next time,

Guinnea Pig
Old 07-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #41
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
Sweet write up....I need to send you some pics and vids. Got all the "bump start" attempt vids :)
Old 07-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #42
ColoSean
Yard-sale Expert

Quote:
Sean (Dejavu), the route planner and weatherman of the group, layed out a little track that goes something like this:
Apparently, I suck at both of these jobs. The route wasn't possible and everything was still wet from rain this morning. I'm retiring. My new function in the Wolfpack is as the "Village Idiot."

Now I just have to figure out what the hell is wrong with my 950.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #43
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu View Post
Apparently, I suck at both of these jobs. The route wasn't possible and everything was still wet from rain this morning. I'm retiring. My new function in the Wolfpack is as the "Village Idiot."

Now I just have to figure out what the hell is wrong with my 950.
I thought it was a good route, we knew the top would be a B#$&CH and it didn't disappoint! Just a bit above our ability.....for now.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #44
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhizafa View Post
I thought it was a good route, we knew the top would be a B#$&CH and it didn't disappoint! Just a bit above our ability.....for now.
Listen...I think I could have made it....just sayin...
Old 07-27-2011, 01:49 PM   #45
rtadlock OP
Beastly Adventurer

Jay's pics

Jay just sent these to me:

We always make sure to keep Jay's badges clean so everyone knows he's riding a bmw