User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
stbob OP
 

Oddometer: 1,054
Mt. Washington Auto Road...

Memorial Day weekend 2011

Had a three day weekend and decided on a solo New Hampshire bound ride. The main objective was to ride the Mt. Washington Auto Road. Everything else would be gravy...
All the weather reports that i looked at were predicting thunder storms for most of the weekend. I was considering changing my riding direction towards better weather but didn't. I now know i made the right choice, had excellent weather all weekend. Although we did have some thunder showers late sunday night but i was already bedded down in my tent and the rain was over by morning. Also confirmed my almost 20 year old eureka zephr tent still doesn't leak.
Didn't do any planning for the ride. Friday night i attempted to reserve a camp site online using reserve america website but everywhere i checked that was nearby to the auto road said they were full. I didn't want to spend money on motel so i would do some stealth camping if i had to. Started my ride up north saturday morning.
Here's a bunch of pictures...

My first pic of the ride, a lookout in Alpine, NJ. About 10 miles from where i live in Edgewater, NJ...

Bear Mountain, NY...

I'm an avid player of the adv tag o ramas. The tag for the ny metro dirt tor was located somewhere in Goshen, CT.. I never did actually find the tag spot, but had fun looking. Turned out, even had i found it, somebody else had already gotten there first, so i would of been bruced anyway...

Bulls Bridge, Kent, Ct...

By the time i reached rt. 112 it was getting late and still almost hundred miles to mt. washington taking the scenic route. I wanted to set up camp while it was still light so that was my next move, find a campground. To my pleasant surprise, rt 112 has no shortage of campgrounds. I was glad i wouldn't have to stealth camp, i could have a decent fire without worrying about getting caught. I got a campsite at White Mountain Wildwood on rt 112, Lost River Rd, which only a few more miles later turns into the Kancamagus highway for the next 30 something miles. This was one of only a few tent spots still available...

Woke up early sunday morning to a good amount of fog. Weather reports were still mixed. Threw my rain/wind liners into my mesh riding gear just in case. I was off to Mt. Washington auto road via the Kancamagus Hwy...

Traffic was almost non existent...

Finally i reached my main destination...

The toll taker told me that they stop allowing motorcycles up the mountain when the winds reach 60mph...

The beginning of mt. washington rd...

Some left over snow & ice...

Nearing the summit, visibility quickly diminished...

The summit...

Not much view from the summit but i think the clouds & fog made it more exciting. After returning back to the bottom of the road, i rode to the summit a second time to take pictures and was hoping that maybe the view cleared up. There was less visibility on my second ride. Now i have an excuse to re-visit this mountain the next time i'm in town...

After the auto road & riding on the kancamagus highway again, i checked out the New Hampshire tag o rama game. Google quickly located the tag location, all that was left to do was ride to it. I was expecting it to be mostly if not all pavement to the tag. Turned out to be a cool mostly dirt road...

Got it...
The NH tag, 1513 Province Rd., Barnstead

Then i posted a new tag not far from where i was camped at...

It was a long day of excellent riding, it was late and i was beat. I returned to camp, ate some dinner and crawled into my tent to get some shuteye. Before i fell to sleep, i could hear thunder in the distance. It continued to get louder & louder. Then finally the rain started and i was in the thunder storm. The rain cooled my tent and i slept like a baby. Woke up in the morning the rain was gone. While packing up my gear for the ride home, found this guy enjoying whatever heat was leftover from the fire the night before...

Bike loaded & ready for the return ride. What little dirt was on the bike got washed away overnight...

Some more pics....

Another covered bridge...

Nice ural crossing the bridge too...

Leaving NH...

Entering VT...

CT River in VT...

Bartonsville Covered Bridge...

Unpaved road in VT...

When i reached NY, i once again check the ny metro dirt tag game. The tag was near my route home, so i couldn't resist a little detour. A weak internet signal cost me the tag. While waiting for a picture of the exact location to load, another adv'r / tagger showed up to claim the prize. I didn't go away empty handed though, i had another fun bit of riding added to an already long weekend ride and i got to meet Kenny61 in person...

Brewst by Kenny61...

For my next ride, regardless which direction i'm heading, i'm gonna try and plan a ride route in advance...

stbob screwed with this post 06-01-2011 at 01:56 AM
stbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #2
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,627
Great pics. Sorry you got fogged in on top of Mt. Washington. That wind must have been something.

Here's what it's supposed to look like up there. It was a little misty for me as well.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
TK-LA
SoCal Rider

Oddometer: 572
I live in Los Angeles now, but I'm originally from Maine and this report has made me miss the scenery of Northern New England. The white mountains are just gorgeous. Hope you all have a great summer of fine riding weather!
2007 Suzuki GS500f - Don't underestimate (and don't take it in loose rocks!)
2004 Suzuki LS650 "Savage" - Either stolen or ran away from home.
TK-LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
ba_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,488
Nice photos bob!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
BushwickKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,554
great RR
Old 06-03-2011, 03:07 AM   #6
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
LOVE this thread
that's an awesome ride on which you took us
thanks for the great pictures and ride report
well done
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:09 AM   #7
Ironrdr
Pay No Attention...

Oddometer: 525
Nice ride, and report!

Last time I was in NH, I tried to go up Mt Washington . When we reached the base of the mountain you could see lightning striking the mountain as it was socked in a thundershower. Gate keeper said we could go on up. We decided to wait till it stopped raining.

About an hour later, now with the summit visible and not a cloud in the sky we attempted to ride up again. Got to the gate keeper and he said we couldn't go up, there were thundershowers in the area.

Oh well, just another reason to take a ride.

-darrell

2011 Ride West Ride Report
Ironrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:21 AM   #8
AJxr

Oddometer: 927
Rob,

pictures look kick ass! great ride.

-AJ

What would Magoo do?
AJxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:03 AM   #9
PC-Rider
venturer

Oddometer: 4,516
Some great pictures Rob.

Looks like you had a great ride.

Makes me want to do that sometime.

My Thread of Where I've Been: "PC's Adventures in PIctures"
PC-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:34 PM   #10
Spartandude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
cool ride, cool bike and cool pictures.

What camera are you using? The aspect ratio makes for some nice comopositions.
Spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,924
What was the date you where there?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
yyzmdo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Looks like you had a great weekend!!
Old 06-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #13
Vt-Stromer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Nice report. You peaked my snake interest. Looks like a common garter, thamnophis sirtalis or some such. Where would we be without google.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #14
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
great report did the mountain last yr. funny looking at your pics of the fog and moose sign.looks just like the pics i took. i was hoping to see a moose when i was up there .didnt happen which i come to find out was probaly a good thing since it can ruin your day riding if you run into one
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #15
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by stbob View Post
How did you get your bike to the front of the vistors center? Did you just ask the summit staff or where you able to sneek this in under the cover of the fog? When I went up last fall on my 250 there was a few hundred people or so on the summit.

Nice pictures by the way. Too bad you didn't have better weather up top. Here's what that spot looked like when I was up there.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote