Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #61
FL_biker OP
Dakar Withdrawl

Oddometer: 477
I am in Junction City KS- stopped as I needed a break from the heat and crosswinds

Ned Suesse on Stage 2 of the 2012 Dakar: "You would have had to have been a blind monkey to get lost anywhere today!!"
FL_biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #62
thomas.clark
Uneasy Rider

Oddometer: 114
Woo Hoo!

Ride on, brother! Watching from Florida with jealous longing.

I found that I didn't need any Canadian coin, though I wound up getting some as change. Makes a nice keepsake. Plastic got me through just fine.

I also took waaaayyyy more stuff than I needed. The only thing I regret not having was something like this: http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Oth...seatboard.html

Looking forward to more pictures and some storytelling

Enjoy as much as you can - you'll be longing to go back before you know it!
thomas.clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #63
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas.clark View Post
Ride on, brother! Watching from Florida with jealous longing.

I found that I didn't need any Canadian coin, though I wound up getting some as change. Makes a nice keepsake. Plastic got me through just fine.

I also took waaaayyyy more stuff than I needed. The only thing I regret not having was something like this: http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/Oth...seatboard.html

Looking forward to more pictures and some storytelling

Enjoy as much as you can - you'll be longing to go back before you know it!
YEA THOMAS, does fl biker know your riding history and that "never to be copied again" ride you did with CACK?? Does he know how famous you are?

Time for you to give us another one, you are welcome to ride with us this July to Vancouver Island and the Haida Gwaii.

gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #64
FL_biker OP
Dakar Withdrawl

Colorado at last!!

First time using my Gorilla-Pod...fun getting to lie on the ground to set up the shot, then run over to the bike before it takes the photo (three times 'cuz I forgot how to use the self-timer )

Ned Suesse on Stage 2 of the 2012 Dakar: "You would have had to have been a blind monkey to get lost anywhere today!!"

FL_biker screwed with this post 06-09-2011 at 06:55 AM
Old 06-07-2011, 06:07 PM   #65
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Dave, great ride , glad you are in Colorado. Lots of Adv'ers should you need anything, just keep us posted.

ride smart, you are going to love this trip.

gale

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572583
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #66
NoNo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Stay safe, and enjoy the ride.
NoNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #67
FL_biker OP
Dakar Withdrawl

June 7th 2011.
Today's Photo Page on SmugMug

I made it to my friends house (Gunny T here on ADV)
Over 18 hrs today across Missouri, Kansas, and half of Colorado.
the distance traveled was about 830 miles, the vstrom got about 40mpg (not bad for 80mph), and spent about $85 of fuel.

Interactive spotwalla map of the day's ride - green "flags" are breaks, some for fuel..

A short (27 second) video "snapshot" of the trip across MO, KS, & CO:

I got showered and then passed out (was after 1 a.m.) - I need sleep as tomorrow we'll ride Pikes Peak and other Colorado Springs sights.

Dave

FL_biker screwed with this post 12-15-2011 at 02:41 AM Reason: fixing typo's from iPhone post
Old 06-08-2011, 04:09 AM   #68
FLARider1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
Glad you made it safe to your first big stop. Rest up from the heat!! You must have given me your sickness through the phone, haha, Doc started treating me for pneumonia on Monday! Glad though that I got sick 3 weeks before departure!!!
FLARider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:24 AM   #69
FL_biker OP
Dakar Withdrawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLARider1 View Post
Glad you made it safe to your first big stop. Rest up from the heat!! You must have given me your sickness through the phone, haha, Doc started treating me for pneumonia on Monday! Glad though that I got sick 3 weeks before departure!!!
Andy,
I actually saw a medical professional on the way here.
I was in a convenience store and a lady walks in with medical garb on and a stethascope. Not sure if she was a Dr, PA, or NP but I jokingly asked her if she'd listen to my lungs (then said I was just joking)

On her way out of the store she walked over to me and listened to my lungs. She said she didn't hear anything bad - said they sounded clear!

Anyway this crud is starting to break up a bit - I guess all the water I've been drinking has helped a lot.

Dave

Old 06-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #70
Ritebike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Hydration is key, especially when you are in dryer climates such as out west.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #71
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale B.T. View Post
YEA THOMAS, does fl biker know your riding history and that "never to be copied again" ride you did with CACK?? Does he know how famous you are?

Time for you to give us another one, you are welcome to ride with us this July to Vancouver Island and the Haida Gwaii.

gale
When are you coming through BC this year, Gale? We'll be on the road headed for a loop around the Olympic Peninsula and eastern WA en route to the Kootenays and home via the Icefields Parkway from July 10th til the 24th. Drop us a line and maybe we can cross paths somewhere!

And FL_biker, if your schedule has you staying overnight in Prince George, send me a PM and let me know. We always enjoy hosting riders on their way way through.

PS. Hey Thomas! Long time no see!
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #72
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_biker View Post
Am I the only one that finishes packing for a trip this long on the morning of departure?
Oh, no. Not at all. Packing the bags just minutes before you pull out of the driveway sets the mood for travel that day. And besides, if you packed the day before, and then dropped dead the next morning - think of all that wasted effort.

Think like our adventurous young friend Thomas. Throw your stuff into/onto a bike you've never seen before, to head off from a place you've never been before to another place you're not sure you'll ever arrive at...

Have a safe trip. Hope to meet you at D2D in a few weeks.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #73
FL_biker OP
Dakar Withdrawl

Photos at last!!

UPDATED December 3rd, 201 to add a video clip and make photos clickable (for larger copies)

June 8th ( SmugMug Photo Album )

Today's Ride, a scenic tour of the Colorado Springs sights
(USAF Academy, Garden of the Gods, Pike's Peak, Royal Gorge Bridge, Skyline Drive)

Ok, We started at Denny's for breakfast as my host Gunny-T lives in a plywood shack with no kitchen (actually he was doing a kitchen remodel and had no appliances or cupboards)

Here's a 20 minute video of the day - my first attempt at video editing using Windows Live MovieMaker (I don't recommend you try this - it crashes a LOT)

After that we headed over to the Air Force Academy because my mom always wanted me to go there.
So now I HAVE gone there

Gunny T rode his Victory Vegas 8-Ball Ltd Edition:

Afterwards we rode over to Garden of the Gods:

A better shot of Gunny T on his "little" Victory (he also has a Victory Vision)

Balancing Rock at G.O.T.G

After riding thru GOTG we headed over to Pike's Peak and the view from up there was AMAZING:

I just LOVE curvy roads - especially after taking the bags off of my bike to lighten the load!

Still snow on June 8th!!

Gunny T again:

Getting higher up there:

WE MADE IT TO THE TOP!!
Got a bit light-headed up there - 14,110 ft altitude plus bein' overweight and out of shape is not a good combo!!

On the way down we rode off the main road and up a dirt path that lead to another overlook.

Elk Park Overlook

After we parked fellow ADVrider Jason (drz400sm1981) pulled up and we chatted for a bit.
Hey Jason, thanks for making my DL1000 not look as overloaded

(good luck on your journey wherever it leads ya!!)

Terry (aka Gunny-T) and Jason's bike:

Stopped by Crystal Creek Reservoir for a quick photo:

After Pike's Peak it was an interesting ride over to Canon City because the road we wanted to take was closed so we had to take a detour.

We stopped by the Royal Gorge Bridge which is described on their web site as "one of the world’s highest suspension bridges – hanging 956 feet high and spanning a quarter mile across the canyon"

It was built in six months with no injuries (according to the Park Ranger we spoke to) AND THIS WAS IN 1929!!

Riding across the wooden road bed 956 feet above the canon floor was definitely interesting.
Several pedestrians had terrified looks on their faces as they walked across it as you could actually see the roadbed rise and fall with the wind

The view from the bridge:

Do NOT look down if you're afraid of heights!!

Gunny-T on the bridge:

Incline railway station:

After Royal Gorge it was getting late so we decided to not even attempt to ride to Bishop's Castle because I still needed to do an oil change.

After BLASTING across the US from Tampa to Key West, to Warner Robbins, St Louis MO, and then Colorado Springs in just 4 days, the bike deserved it.

Thanks again to Gunny-T for picking up the oil filters and filter wrench for me before I got to the Springs.
I had left the ones I bought for the trip at home in my rush to get on the road - along with a few other things, more on that when I get to Yellowstone and beyond.

So as we left Royal Gorge Terry mentioned a neat little (and I mean NARROW) road called Skyline Drive that rides the top of a ridge.

Unfortunately I don't know what happened to the stills I took from up there except this one which doesn't show how narrow the road was in some places. When I go back and edit the video I shot you'll see what I mean:

After Skyline Drive in Canon City we headed towards Terry's place and then back out by car to get oil and some saline to rinse my eyes with because the pollen out here is killin' me!!
POST TRIP SIDENOTE: This would continue for a week or more!

That's all for today because I need to go pack the bike, get a photo of my host and head out to ride up Berthoud Pass and Trailridge Road to Estes Park.

Finally a SHORT day's ride (under 300 miles) and maybe, just MAYBE I can get to sleep before midnite!
Another note: Due to photo and sightseeing stops I still got to bed late. This would continue throughout the trip!

Here's a picture of GunnyT and I just before I left:

FL_biker screwed with this post 12-15-2011 at 02:47 AM
Old 06-09-2011, 12:31 PM   #74
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut

Oddometer: 2,581
You are two weeks early for Pike's Peak! The race is the 26th.
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #75
Gunny T
Victory Vegas LE

Oddometer: 5
Dave - a great visit and ride...thanks.

It was a pleasure meeting you Dave. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a day of freedom on a Wednesday, but it sure felt good. Thanks.

Gave me much laughs and you really should be tag'd as the Inspector (aka inspector gadget) with all those devices you have plugged in.

Good luck on your trip and if your return brings you anywhere close I am sure I could use another day off...

Laters,
Gunny T
Gunny T is offline   Reply With Quote