User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
phxman OP
"Rocks are my Friends"

Oddometer: 269
Camp Wood to Prescott

A few Arizona Trail Rider's spent this past Memorial Day weekend riding around Camp Wood and one ride was a dual sport, of sorts, heading over to Alto Pit which is just outside Prescott on Iron Springs Road.

What made the ride very cool was taking some new trails, 620 and 621, from Tonto Road over to Alto Pit. These are 50" trails but very twisty and fun as you can see in the video's. Btw, trails 620 and 621 are fine examples of Arizona OHV Grant money at work. If anyone is ever thinking of riding out of Prescott to access other routes West, the 620 621 trails are an excellent way to get out there.

Fyi, if you click on the Full Screen button you can lose the map by clicking top left corner of map. Full screen loses a little of the clarity though.

Camp Wood Trail 55 - The fun section around Anderson Field coming in from FR705.
http://contour.com/stories/trail-55-the-fun-part

Camp Wood Trail 9941 Part 1 - Watch all the way to finish to see my buddy Frank Staley embracing nature
http://contour.com/stories/trail-9941-part-1

Camp Wood Trail 9941 Part 2 -
http://contour.com/stories/trail-9941-finish

Trail 621 - We started it at Tonto Road heading to Alto pit.
http://contour.com/stories/trail-621-start--2

Trail 621 - Continued from above. Oh yeah, this is the one where I fall over.
http://contour.com/stories/trail-621-after-rr-tracks

Trail 621 - Continued with explanation of why I fell over
http://contour.com/stories/trail-621-continued--2

Trail 620 - This trail starts where 621 ends and continues to Alto Pit.
http://contour.com/stories/trail-620-start

Trail 620 - Continued.
http://contour.com/stories/trail-620-continued--2

Trail 620 - Finish into Alto Pit
http://contour.com/stories/prescott-...-620-finish--2
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Trails 620 and 621 from Alto Pit.gpx (11.5 KB, 81 views)
AZOHVC

phxman screwed with this post 06-02-2011 at 02:24 PM
phxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
F-Pilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Looks great!
How many miles is it from Alto Pit to Camp Wood?
F-Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
AZ_ADV_RIDER
Demons In My Helmet

Oddometer: 790
Sweet - Thanks for the info and the videos, I just might head out there this weekend.

The road to enlightenment is not paved.
AZ_ADV_RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #4
phxman OP
"Rocks are my Friends"

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Pilot View Post
Looks great!
How many miles is it from Alto Pit to Camp Wood?
Roughly 65 miles from CW to Alto Pit. Round trip was about 100 miles but after a lamb tostada, and other goodies, at the Iron Spings Cafe for lunch we took the easy way home.
AZOHVC
Old 06-02-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,275
Hey! That's my back yard! I kid you not! I grew up on a ranch, three and a half miles from the Anderson trail head. I knew exactly where you were at in the first 35 seconds of your first video. There used to be a big two story house called Dumbell cabin in the field off to the right. I've ridden that trail so many times starting on a Honda trail 70 back in 1980. As I got bigger, so did the bikes I rode. The trail didn't used to go around Anderson Field like it does now, but through it instead. I've watched four of your videos so far and fully intend to watch the rest at a more decent hour.
Which of the many routes did you choose to get from Camp Wood to the Anderson trail head?

Your making me homesick. I might have to go back out there and ride 'em again for old times sake as I haven't been out there (on the trails) for 10 years.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
phxman OP
"Rocks are my Friends"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
Hey! That's my back yard! I kid you not! I grew up on a ranch, three and a half miles from the Anderson trail head. I knew exactly where you were at in the first 35 seconds of your first video. There used to be a big two story house called Dumbell cabin in the field off to the right. I've ridden that trail so many times starting on a Honda trail 70 back in 1980. As I got bigger, so did the bikes I rode. The trail didn't used to go around Anderson Field like it does now, but through it instead. I've watched four of your videos so far and fully intend to watch the rest at a more decent hour.
Which of the many routes did you choose to get from Camp Wood to the Anderson trail head?

Your making me homesick. I might have to go back out there and ride 'em again for old times sake as I haven't been out there (on the trails) for 10 years.
DurtKlod....glad I could bring back some memories and thanks for the history lesson on Anderson field. I've been riding up there maybe 15 years now but have heard it used to look much different. Its a beautiful rugged area and one of my favorite places to go camping and riding. Did you grow up on the Spider Ranch? I've gotten to know Gail Stieger over there fairly well over the years....good man.

From Camp Wood we took the easy way (FR 705) over to Anderson since we knew it would be a long day. Last month I rode Trail 35 that comes over the mesa....it's a rocky thing.
AZOHVC
Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
Exploron
exploron

Oddometer: 79
Thumb Trail 55

I have been wanting to ask someone about this trail.
I rode 9941 West to 55 to 705A a couple weeks ago on a TE250. 9941 and the first part of 55 was fun. Then 55 turned into a boulder infested, steep and challenging (somewhat harrowing) ride for a couple miles, then the last part approaching the rancher's cabin on 705A was pretty easy.
Has anyone ridden that nasty part lately? I don't think I could have ridden it going East due to the steepness and boulders.
I don't think I'd ride it again solo. It was a workout, to say the least.

Looking at the map, I see you didn't ride 55 West to 705A. I'll have to ride that Anderson Field way next time. The 55 I took is a bone-breaker if you're not careful.
I tried taking 85 to Fair Oaks coming out, but got to the private gate, which looked locked, so had to go through the Spider Ranch, which made me nervous. I guess it's ok to pass through?

Exploron screwed with this post 06-02-2011 at 09:38 AM
Exploron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #8
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Oddometer: 661
Looks great! 620 & 621 look tight and twisty in some spots.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #9
phxman OP
"Rocks are my Friends"

Yes, I've ridden that part of 55 over to the Cabin on 705A a couple of times. It is a rocky gnarly thing. We did not do that section this past weekend though as we needed to go East from Anderson.....and we were not in the mood for that kind of punishment.

On your ride did you see the left turn that would continue West onto Trail 56? That is another "interesting" trail which makes a loop back around to the West side of the cabin. I would not recommend riding it solo but its no worse than the rocky parts of 55 and has some incredible views after climbing up on a bench.

The locked gate you found was probably on 705 where the Spider Ranch property starts. From Anderson Field you have to either go West on 705 or East on 9941 trail to continue a loop. Oh, you could also take Trail 35 from Anderson Field over the mesa to 705 but its also a rocky booger.
AZOHVC
Old 06-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
Exploron
exploron

55 to 705A... fun, huh?
I'm not sure I'll ride that one again... too many other trails out there to try.
I would love to see a video of someone going over and down all that mess!

I think I was concentrating a little too much to notice trail 56 and certainly wasn't wanting any "extra credit" riding that day.
I think the locked gate I got to was when I tried to take 85 off of 705 to go through Fair Oaks and get the hell home. I wasn't able to do that, so that's when I got back on 705 and went through the Spider Ranch, which isn't locked, but seems like not many riders use that route. So, it's ok to do?

By the way, great videos. Thanks for sharing!

Exploron screwed with this post 06-02-2011 at 09:53 AM
Old 06-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
phxman OP
"Rocks are my Friends"

For those interested I've uploaded the tracklog of trails 620 and 621 in my original post. In this post I uploaded the route from the 9941 / 65A intersection to Alto pit.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Alto Pit to Campwood 9941.gpx (21.3 KB, 60 views)
AZOHVC
Old 06-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
2 SPOT
wannabe

Oddometer: 2,606
nice ride, hvent ridden too much around there and thats an area i'd like to ride a bit more.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #13
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxman View Post
Did you grow up on the Spider Ranch? I've gotten to know Gail Stieger over there fairly well over the years....good man. ...
Close.... I grew up one ranch over to the north... Fair Oaks. Yeh, Gail's a real piece of work. He's been foreman of the Spider since '95. I used to ride my dirt bike over to the Spider to visit friends when it was owned by Mrs. Morris. She was a strange one. I think she was a Dole pineapple heiress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxman View Post
Last month I rode Trail 35 that comes over the mesa....it's a rocky thing.
Rocky to say the least. Smith mesa is another one that's... a wee bit rocky. Believe it or not, we've ridden bicycles across Smith mesa all the way up to Camp Wood. That was a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highball View Post
I tried taking 85 to Fair Oaks coming out, but got to the private gate, which looked locked, so had to go through the Spider Ranch, which made me nervous. I guess it's ok to pass through?
Yeh, sorry about that locked gate... big white sign with "ROAD CLOSED" in black letters? We had problems with theft and vandalism for a while and finally got permission from the forest service to lock it off. No problems since... 'cept with some of the locals. It's been locked since... '78? You can go around through the Spider ranch but there for a while it was hit or miss on whether that way would be locked as well... for the same reasons. Evidently it's been unlocked for some time. How those few can ruin it for the many.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
Exploron
exploron

DurtKlod,
Thanks for the info. I've ridden into Fair Oaks from the other way - gorgeous area! Too bad it doesn't connect through, but I understand if there were issues, then access gets lost.
The Spider wasn't locked when I went through, but I had to hunt for the right way through on the East side, which was less than obvious. Hope that stays open.
Looking forward to riding more of the trails in that area.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #15
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,156
Nice videos. I need to get out to that area, looks like it's a lot of fun. Thanks for posting this up and the tracks.