User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #286
K75Brad
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Checked mine today

Thanks so much for the information. I checked my tensioner today, and it is the spring-loaded type.

Just one hint from me - don't take the throtttle body off of the air intake snorkle. I removed the injector and harness, (I have the hard plastic lines, limiting the amount of movement) and placed the injector piping out of harm's way, disconnected the TPS wiring and the canister purge hose (rubber hose at the brass nipple used to sync. the T-bodies). Loosened the 2 fasteners from the cylinder head mount, loosen the clamp on the air filter box, and move the whole assembly backwards. This sinks the air snorkle as normal, but also suspends the throttle body - no other bit required. Also, prevents the cables from being stretched out and coming out of place.

Made accessing the tensioner easy enough, and I could get it out and check that it was the spring loaded (i.e. old, troublesome) assembly.

Ordered bits today.

Brad.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #287
arx72
n00b

Oddometer: 7
a bit of confusion here...

Hi guys,

sorry to pick up this old post. My GS 1150 ADV (my 2005) started to be a bit noisy

Noise comes from the right cilynder (right when seated on the bike). If I get thereplacement tutorial correctly, normally the "noisy one" should be the other (left one) in fact the tutorial is about changing the left and leave the right untouched.

Checking the techical sheets to buy the silent (and expensive) piece of steel ( see http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...97&hg=11&fg=34) it seems the right one is the one with the spring while the left one mounts the new stuff already (see piece 10-12-15....quite a mystery here...)

Here some questions:
Did any of you change the tensioners on both sides?
If yes, which are the replacement for the right side?
Is it possible that GS 1150 ADV MY mounts already the new tensioner (I mean pieces 10-12-15)?

Well, a bit confused

thanks for help!
arx72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #288
Dan Căta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,575
Are you sure the noise is coming from the chains and not from the TB's? Put some finger pressure on the TB pulleys while the bike idles and see if the noise goes away ;)

Dan.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #289
arx72
n00b

Dan I have already tried taht a noise is still there (also my mechanic tried and exluded that). On the italian BMW forum, many user changed both but, when looking at the tech drawings, I am a bit confused about the reasong of changing the right if the pieces are just the same of the old ones
Old 02-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #290
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Either side can be noisy. Changing the left hydraulic tensioner is only supposed to prevent noise at start-up. Noise during normal running could be a worn hydraulic tensioner, worn or broken tensioner blade, or something else entirely. One of my friends was having noise from the right side and cured it with a new right side hydraulic tensioner so that IS a possible cure. Before you start spending money on new parts, I suggest you check the rocker-arm end clearance. You should find instructions in the Hall of Wisdom.

The right side hydraulic tensioner did not change from the early 1100's right up to the 1200's I believe. The left side changed twice. The most current update was fitted as standard to 1200's from about 05 or 06 onwards.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #291
arx72
n00b

Thx Slartidbartfast!

I will check the wall for the rocker-arm end clearance issue. Nice to have also the confirmation about the right tensioner (and of course there could be a failure in mine).
Old 02-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #292
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by arx72 View Post
Thx Slartidbartfast!

I will check the wall for the rocker-arm end clearance issue. Nice to have also the confirmation about the right tensioner (and of course there could be a failure in mine).
And then be sure to report back plz - btw, how many miles/km on the beast?
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #293
arx72
n00b

60k km something now and serviced just 2k ago. I will let you know. Thx again
Old 02-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #294
Zoef zoef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
The latest 1150's have already the updated tensioner on the left side, at least mine from 2003 has it. Ie, yours from 2005 should also have the new, upgraded, type. Indeed the one on the right can also result in noises, but this is usually only the spring which needs replacing. But noise can also come from other areas (eg the mentioned TB).
Zoef zoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:26 AM   #295
arx72
n00b

HI Zoef, I suspected it. From tech drawings the left is the new one already for the lates 1150 ADV models. So I will concentrate on the right side (spring + rocker-arm end clearance) even if, for the latter which I checked on the HoW, I think I am a bit unfit to do a proper job so I will probably need to open my thin wallet for the mechanic
Old 02-10-2013, 08:59 AM   #296
arx72
n00b

hi guys, here I am again

before checking the rocker-arm end clearance (fear to rip the poor bike ), i have registered the mysterious pissing sound
http://www.4shared.com/file/YUQ_VKaA/Voce_001.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/3FA1SaEz/Voce_002.html

files open with mediaplayer. the clear "knock knock" is eaarable better in the secon part of both files (taken from the back of right cylinder)

Any help is more than welcome
Old 02-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #297
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
hi guys, here I am again

before checking the rocker-arm end clearance (fear to rip the poor bike ), i have registered the mysterious pissing sound
http://www.4shared.com/file/YUQ_VKaA/Voce_001.html
http://www.4shared.com/file/3FA1SaEz/Voce_002.html

files open with mediaplayer. the clear "knock knock" is eaarable better in the secon part of both files (taken from the back of right cylinder)

Any help is more than welcome
As far as I can tell, I need to install a proprietary download manager and/or sign up to a web-site to access those files - Not going to happen!
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #298
arx72
n00b

strange. Any other place to upload easily files?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 PM   #299
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post

As far as I can tell, I need to install a proprietary download manager and/or sign up to a web-site to access those files - Not going to happen!
There is one small, nondescript, 'download button' on the page that doesn't take you to a download manager or access manager. That button takes you to another page with another nondescript 'download button' that says 'wait 20 seconds for download'. That button downloads the file. Most free download sites have a similar convoluted path.

Or, check the post below. The files will be available for a week or so.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #300
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,797
Quote:

strange. Any other place to upload easily files?
Hey there, ARX. Your two audio files are here, try these links (and check the p.s. at the end of this post.):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9aS...it?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9aS...it?usp=sharing

If anybody want's to give a listen, the files are in the .3ga audio format. That is the audio recorder file format used in 3G and 4G phones.

It is a common format. 3GA audio files can be played on Linux, Mac, and Windows platforms with MPlayer and VLC media player. Programs such as Media Player Classic, K-Multimedia Player, Totem, RealPlayer, QuickTime, and GOM Player can also be used. I mostly use VLC Media Player. As with many players, just drag the file you want to play and drop it onto the program icon

p.s.: Get a Google/Gmail account and upload the files to Google Drive. Set the 'share settings' to 'public access with link'. The account has 5GB of storage free.

I'll leave your files up for a week or so. You'll have time to set up a Gmail account.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote