ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2005, 05:22 PM   #61
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,994
Ted discusses the "duelling banjos" / white Suburban incident:

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 05:34 PM   #62
harpoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,734
Good ride guys.

It might be a good thing you wern't with us today Doc! A NJ plate could have caused another uprising.
Old 02-26-2005, 06:45 PM   #63
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,235
Quite the ride - nice weather, good folks, damn challenging squishy stuff. A little drunk redneck entertainment to boot!
Think the white haired SOB figured out I had a cocked VStrom pointed at his nuts? I did. He really pissed me off with the first episode, second time I really didn't like the way he was coming around the truck at Steve.
Lesson in Redneckology:
A.) The guy with the Harley hat wasn't the one to worry about, he was being all Billy Badass at the bidding of the white haired dick.
B.) The guy with the Harley hat doesn't own one. I didn't piss him off further when they cut us off by asking him what kind he had.
C.) I usually ride into those kind of hollows during the week when the boys haven't been drinking since they got off work Fri. afternoon.
D.) I come from a long line of rednecks so I know the above to be true.
Saturday in the hollows...
Ted
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 07:30 PM   #64
Jack90210
mindful

Ted, I don't know what they were telling you, but I got an earful of "where are you / your buddies from", "your buddies need to go find somewhere else to ride like maniacs", "a dog just got killed here last week", "kids play on this road", "squeal like a pig, boy" etc. (Kidding on that last one ...)

I wish I had gotten a picture of the guy yelling (furious-looking, finger pointing in his face) at Steve when he followed us onto the second road in that hollow.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Old 02-26-2005, 08:38 PM   #65
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino

You okay? We needs a ride report out here!

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 03:30 AM   #66
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,548
Oh yeah I am fine. Sore, but OK.

Dude in hollow was another arguement against inbreeding and for natural selection.

Why were you guys riding like maniacs any way??

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:43 AM   #67
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino

WTF?

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:56 AM   #68
docgonzo OP
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 12,543
Boy, hope everyone is O.K. I assume there was an "adventure" somewhere in this ride?

By the way, can one of you post the map of the route? In case I ever come back with my bike?
Old 02-27-2005, 05:53 AM   #69
Jack90210
mindful

All I know that we were up on Flattop Mountain at one point.

And Steve's really OK:

Old 02-27-2005, 07:34 AM   #70
SST
Lost again...

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck22903

And Steve's really OK:

Same shit different day for Steverino!

As far as a map goes... well we did a few u-turns, several stretches of pavement more than once and you don't want to go up Turkey Run (or wherever the white Suburban driving rednecks live. It was a fun day. Nobody got hurt too badly. steve is proabaly a little sore on his rioght side. And Steve roosted me with a golfball sized rock that gave me a pretty good bruise just above my left kneecap. My fault for following too closely or not being in front, I guess.

And Sherpa really likes the KTM 950. (except that the back brake works too well )

Doc- I can e-mail you the Garmin route of the ride we almost did. Or if you really want it perhaps the track of the ride. Would not suggest doing this ride alone especially with NJ plates!!!! Thanks again for setting up this ride for us. Hope you can ride with us next time.
Rallymoto #165
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:11 AM   #71
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,235
I guess I should elaborate. Please don't get my previous post wrong - I try to be a nice guy, passive even on a good day.

After the bulk of our crew passed these assholes, they pulled their Suburban across the road in front in front of John and me, trapping us with our backs to a dead-end hollow. Jumped out and threatened us, accused us of running over their dog (last week), you don't have any business being up here, where are you from, etc. Unless the law has changed, in Virginia this constitutes assault. In my little redneck brain this constitutes a violation of greater magnitude.
(Note: In my misspent youth I spent time hanging with the Virginia chapter of a motorcycle gang from Bayonne, N.J. and living with a Green Beret. Subsequent to that I was an EMT on a local rescue squad. Let's just say I've spent time around lots of marginal elements of our society and have a certain "situational awareness" ingrained.)
First thing I noticed was that they didn't appear to have weapons in their hands, but they left both doors open on the Suburban. Quick access to guns? Quick access to chase us some more?
They let us go with the "you tell those other boys they're riding too fast, scaring our horses, running over our dogs, blah, blah.
Fast forward to the next dead-end hollow. Boys block the road with the Suburban, leave the doors open again. Hmmm. Ted's little pea brain sez:
a.)They don't appear to have weapons, though I'm certain 2 dumbasses aren't going to block 8 motorcycles if they didn't have them and a holler dwellin' redneck ain't got a hair on his ass if his truck isn't "equipped". b.)There's room to ride past the truck and kick the doors shut. c.) I can run the bastard on my side down before he can get to the door to get his gun. d.) if I take out the passenger stomping toward Steve are our boys on the driver's side going to know to lay waste to the other guy before he gets to HIS gun? Anyway, my second brief conversation with ol' whitey was "I already talked to you in the other holler. - You awright?" Perhaps he noticed my tone was less concilatory than before. Maybe he was realizing that Steve is big enough and close enough to jerk a knot in his sotted ass. Who knows. He snarled back "yeah, I'm awright", gave me a nasty look and they got back in the truck. I don't know what Steve had already said to the boy with the Harley hat but that was the end of it and we rode out.
Sorry if any of this offends you but that's my take. John and I had a significant amount more info than the rest to cause me to be serioiusly concerned. Make no mistake - that was not a good situation.
A closing thought: My Green Beret friend tought me a number of things, two I always keep in mind in these situations:
1. We laugh and joke but we don't play.
2. We don't come out half-stepping.
My very diplomatic wife of 17 years has tought me something else:
Peaceful conflict resolution is preferable to getting shot. Obviously, I'm still working on that one.
Great ride though. As a guy I used to race with said - "We don't just do this for the competition or friendship - we do this to collect stories".
Ted
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:25 AM   #72
Jack90210
mindful

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS
Note: In my misspent youth I spent time hanging with the Virginia chapter of a motorcycle gang from Bayonne, N.J.
I grew up in Bayonne. (shhhhhh)

Old 02-27-2005, 03:18 PM   #73
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,548
We were wrong, they handled it wronger.

Poonie's fault for damn near running over the dog....or was that thier kid or wife???

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 03:37 PM   #74
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,351
Trouble just follows you guys everywhere!

We should organize an advrider rally wherever those rednecks live.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 03:49 PM   #75
harpoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,734
You are right. I was wrong. I saw a chance to get in front of that rock-chunking 950, saddled by the unfamiliar Sherpa (who was unfamiliar with the throttle reponse and going way too slow on a 950 anyway) and I took it... granted it was right in front of the rednecks be-damned and their little weasly dog. What kinda redneck has a dog like that anyway?

Sorry if Sherpa almost got us killed, but they don't call it ADV for nothing

harpoon screwed with this post 02-27-2005 at 04:32 PM
harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote