User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
markk9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Private Health Insurance requiring minimum gear for riders

At the company I work for, there is talk about the health insurance requiring that if you participate in "high risk" activities, they are going to issue minimum safety equipment requirements to be covered. I asked specifically about motorcycles. Was told that motorcycle riders must attend an approved safety class every 2 years, and we will have a minimum gear requirement. They are taking about 3/4 or better helmet, over the ankle boots, motorcycle spec gloves, and motorcycle spec jacket. There is going to be a bunch of angry people if this goes through, it's not just motorcycles.
markk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,808
Honestly, I have seen this coming for years. An insurance's obligation (any business really) is to its share holders or owners. How does an insurance company make money? By paying out for claims as little as possible. If they think making members wear safety gear will save them money, then of course they are going to do it. A hospital system I recently worked for would not hire you if you are a smoker. Lab work would test for it, and if positive, you are not hired. The reason: Smokers have a statistically increased rate of health issues and complications which would cost the insurance, and the hospital through increased premiums, money.

Do I agree with it? Overall, yeah. I think I am ok with this stipulation to a plan.
RxZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
I could see the gear part possibly passing , but to require you to take regular training , the insurance company would probably have to pay for it.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,504
Not to worry, The Government will soon dictate all heath insurance. Welcome to the Peoples Republic of the not so United States of America.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Not to worry, The Government will soon dictate all heath insurance. Welcome to the Peoples Republic of the not so United States of America.
The government was SUPPOSED to be FOR the people , but now it's INSTEAD of the people. They're not here for us , we're here to support them. We USED to be a free country.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Robert_W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Try life insurance and a pilots license and watch your rate skyrocket. If they don't drop you first.
www.kroutfitters.com
Robert_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
Easterner
Just Landed

Oddometer: 304
Where should the line be drawn or shouldn't there be any line? If more risk categories can be identified and quantified isn't that the fairest way to determine who is most likely to submit the claims?
Easterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
El Pescador
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
I'll be ok with it, as soon as they start raising the rates for fat people...and not America's idea of fat, the world's standard.
El Pescador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
That would be a pre-existing condition. Can't deny you for that anymore.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
That would be a pre-existing condition. Can't deny you for that anymore.
I've had my motorcycle affliction since I was seven.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #11
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 716
I have a problem with people getting disability because they are fat. But then the government tables call me fat when I am really in pretty good shape. Just wide and solid.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
kristof-lars
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
little off topic but any ideas on traveller insurance? im heading over seas and need this as part of my visa was wondering if riding over there now requires more equipment?
kristof-lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #13
KoolBreeze
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Honestly, I have seen this coming for years. An insurance's obligation (any business really) is to its share holders or owners. How does an insurance company make money? By paying out for claims as little as possible. If they think making members wear safety gear will save them money, then of course they are going to do it. A hospital system I recently worked for would not hire you if you are a smoker. Lab work would test for it, and if positive, you are not hired. The reason: Smokers have a statistically increased rate of health issues and complications which would cost the insurance, and the hospital through increased premiums, money.

Do I agree with it? Overall, yeah. I think I am ok with this stipulation to a plan.
welcome to capitalism. those who don't like it? switch insurance companies, or employers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Not to worry, The Government under the guidance of large corporations dictates almost all policy. Welcome to the Peoples Republic of the not so United States of America.
fixed

recognized for what it is... you either get with the program. or figure something else out1
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
welcome to capitalism. those who don't like it? switch insurance companies, or employers.

fixed

recognized for what it is... you either get with the program. or figure something else out1
And here's is the problem. It's isn't capitalism because you can not pick between several plans or insurance
companies . The company is designated by your employer. Getting an outside policy will cost 3x what you pay through a work plan.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
Been dealing with it for the past 4 years as Active duty. Some people will abide by the rules and some wont. Over all i bet you wont see any real change in what people wear.
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote