User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
lenny6753 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
front tire hop or bounce......help

I am currently enroute to Alaska from Houston and am now in Wyoming. While traveling and fully loaded the bike has developed a hop or bounce in the front wheel/tire between 30 and 45 mph. I had the new mefo removed after approximately 1800 miles due to cupping. I had a new scorpion installed but it feels like it is starting again. Both sets were balanced when installed. I am carrying two planners with a total weight if about 29 lbs each, a tail bag of about 25 lbs, and myself 230 lbs fully dressed. Any ideas?
lenny6753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
borderxx
ifalldown

Oddometer: 105
Yup. 'Scorps do that. My first one did it to the point that it would almost cause a tankslap between 30 and 35, especially if braking. After 200 miles on a new one (replaced under warranty by KTM), that one started doing the same thing.

The MT-21 I replaced it with never had any bad habits.

borderxx screwed with this post 06-03-2011 at 03:42 AM
borderxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
ten_fiver
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,957
I don't have any ideas, but I have a little garage space in Wyo if you need it (depending on where you are.)

ten_fiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Check out your Suspension Settings.
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
lenny6753 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Ten five - thks....I am in buffalo right now.....I just went out and chkd the suspension settings and some were set for comfort and only rebound set for fully loaded......I set them all for fully loaded....I am a novice with the settings...would the soft settings be enough to cause this.....and thanks for the offer, hopefully this solves the problem....I appreciate it
lenny6753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
Aquanout
Hooliganantic

Oddometer: 748
Yep, keep yer fuel cells full as well. I have a stop in Seattle if the need comes to pass. I can sort your tires out right quick.
Aquanout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
Good chance this next statement is total asshattery, but if I were alone in the middle of nowhere with this problem, I'd try pulling my front wheel and turning it around if the suspension settings had no significant effect. That just might upset the harmonic cycle that's causing the bounce and allow you to get a couple thou more out of the tire.
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:42 AM   #8
borderxx
ifalldown

Oddometer: 105
Not saying that the Scorps have to be the problem, but...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...light=scorpion

This is not the only thread that discusses the issue - there are several.
borderxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:57 AM   #9
Paul_M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
I have exactly the same "problem" on a new bike at the same speed ..
Paul_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:51 AM   #10
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,946
Well it get's worse if you use Nobby tyres , like Michy desert etc.

Try getting them Balanced proper, and dial your suspension in , this may take some practice, patience ,perseverance and experimentaion if your not a guru.

The design of this bike originantes from DIRT that's it's mother, and that's where it comes it to it's own.
21 inch front wheels have a greater rotating mass, than a 18 or 17 which most roadies run but it aid's in rolling over logs rocks spoon drains and large foreing bodies like pavarotti RIP.The steering rake is also a factor also the height of the entire bike off the road is aswell.

So it's a delicate balancing act between load on the bike, tyres/ psi and suspension setup. that's why there is no hard and fast rule.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #11
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderxx View Post
Yup. 'Scorps do that.
QFT. Known issue with Scorpions. Changing suspension settings might help, you want more rear preload to help shift CG forward. I switched to a D606 and the problem went away. Currently running a Mefo Explorer and no problems.
I'm in Central Washington State (Wenatchee area) if you need help/garage space.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #12
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Just to add another view on the Scorpions, rated up to 149 mph,

I have had 2 Sets both in Triple Digits with NONE of the symptoms of Bouncing or Hopping. Just completed a 1000 mile trip averaging about 80 mph and not a hiccup or problem except with the surrounding cagers.

However, they are Balanced & Aired properly.

Good Luck with your fix...
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #13
ghostdncr
Burnin' daylight...

Oddometer: 1,122
It's my understanding that Scorpions are available in two speed ratings, the higher being specifically for the Adventure. Right or wrong? Wondering if the OP may have gotten the lower rating by mistake and if that would contribute to this situation.
ghostdncr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #14
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Flip tire not wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdncr View Post
Good chance this next statement is total asshattery, but if I were alone in the middle of nowhere with this problem, I'd try pulling my front wheel and turning it around if the suspension settings had no significant effect. That just might upset the harmonic cycle that's causing the bounce and allow you to get a couple thou more out of the tire.
Tire needs to be flipped on the rim, the speedo drive makes this wheel one-direction only... also, these tires are directional in their construction so it's kinda on you to accept the risk

I have seen many tires mounted with the old wheel weights left on, and then no proper balancing done afterward. This can make the wheel/tire assembly greatly out of balance.

Your stock mirrors can add a good bit of buffeting which sometimes feels like a tire out of balance.

+1 on suspension settings. Check them- they really work/make a difference on these bikes.

You could always put some Slime in your inner tube, messy if you have to fix a flat but helps smooth out tires really well.

good luck!
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #15
JTXT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Make sure your rim is true and/or not out of round. I had the dreaded wheel hop and wobble and the rim was out of round and not true. I trued the rim and the hop and wobble went away.

I'm just north of Seattle, if you are passing through I can true and balance your front wheel for you to see if it helps your issue.
JTXT is offline   Reply With Quote