User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #16
AlabamaCowboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Heading to Franklin Tennessee

Riding to Franklin I came across this ... Rippaville Plantation... Seems this part of Tennessee is full of antebellum plantation homes... most of which have been restored and are in wonderful condition.... beautiful old homes...

1982 Honda Passport
AlabamaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #17
AlabamaCowboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Spring Hill Tennessee - Grace Episcopal Church

By the time I arrived in Spring Hill, the temps were rising and the traffic was heavy on 31....Grace Episcopal is a small wood church in the Carpenter Gothic tradition....built about 1876 and not in the best repair (wood go figure) ... the door was locked and it was hot so I didnt linger long.... miles to go before I sleep..

Saw this old antebellum home just up the road from the church... really nice...

And as I approached the outskirts of Franklin I passed by the Battle of Franklin site(s) and wished I had more time to stop and explore.... but saw the really nice Carter House .... no time for a tour today.. but here are a few pics...

1982 Honda Passport
Old 06-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #18
AlabamaCowboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Franklin Tennessee - St. Pauls Episcopal

Arriving in Franklin I was frustrated... Main Street was closed for some event and my gps kept wanting to route me down that section of Main..so I wandered around in circles a few times before finally finding St.Paul's and I was impressed....Another beautiful church, but St. Pauls has that look of well worn age... a sort of authentic beauty that is immediately recognizable.... I could'nt help but wonder... with all the souls lost on the battlefield at Franklin... How many prayers for healing, recovery or for loss must have been offered here ?

This is serious history by American standards... a structure nearly 200 years old (with repairs/renovation to damage sustained during wartime) I was pleasantly surprised to find the doors open .... I noted with interested that instead of kneeling benches for prayer, there were dozens of small red leather kneeling cushions beneath all the pews... The stained glass panels by Louis Comfort Tiffany were beautiful [This church and many of the churches I visited have full time indoor and outdoor video surveillance lest anyone out there have larceny in their heart ]

I hope you enjoy the photographs of perhaps the most beautiful church I visited during my travels today...

1982 Honda Passport
Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
AlabamaCowboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Christ Church Cathedral - Nashville

From Franklin I headed to Nashville, hoping to visit Christ Church Cathedral....... known as a Cathedral by the Episcopal Church because it is the seat of the Bishop of the Diocese.. In this case Central Tennessee..... traffic was horrible from Franklin all the way in to Nashville and a stop at Trader Joes for Ginger Cat Cookies didn't help..... sadly by the time I arrived at 900 Broadway, the parking lot was empty and the doors were locked....So all I have to show for my visit are exterior photographs....

If you are interested in seeing more, you can visit the Christ Church Cathedral website here: http://www.christcathedral.org/
There are some amazing photographs of the beautiful interior and stained glass.... I hope to make it back someday soon so I can see for myself...

Here are a few exterior pics...and a couple of Honky Tonk row on my way out of town....

Saw this huge construction site back behind the hockey arena..south of Broadway...What is it ? or will it be rather ??

1982 Honda Passport
Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #20
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,995
Great RR and I'm diggin' that TDM.

I have family in Huntsville. Maybe I can get up there this summer and check out some of your riding area.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #21
deaconjones
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Great report! Love the architecture and those old churches.
2000 KX 250
deaconjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #22
AlabamaCowboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the kind words.... not sure everyone appreciates this sort of thing... but glad some of you guys do...

After heading out of Nashville , Murfreesboro was my next destination.... the gps put me on the superslab and honestly I was so tired and hot by that point that I could have cared less.... about half way there I saw an exit sign for a ChickFila restaurant and the thought of cold AC and a vanilla ice cream cup was more than I could resist...(to this point I had enjoyed a couple of granola bars, a couple of Nalgene bottles of cystal light ice tea and a diet coke or two)....

The rest stop was just what the doctor ordered... 30 minutes sitting down enjoying the cold AC and ice cream gave me a boost ....it was about 2pm at this point, so I had been on the bike with no real rest breaks since 7 am in 95+ F heat...

My church destination in Murfreesboro was St.Pauls and I wasn't too sure about its age....so I was a little disappointed when I arrived to find what appeared to be a sparkling new church.... not that those arent good....

I was happy to discover the "old" portion of the church.... St. Andrew's Chapel ...

And just up the road this historic marker.... Grantland Rice...

across the street from the Presbyterian church....

1982 Honda Passport
Old 06-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #23
AlabamaCowboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Shelbyville Tennessee - Church of the Redeemer Episcopal

Next stop was Shelbyville.... and what seemed like another fairly vibrant downtown county seat....I liked what I saw...

It is nice to see downtown movie theaters open and showing movies....

My next church stop was The Church of the Redeemer in Shelbyville Tennessee..... had a hard time finding this one... what I found was a very old building with an interesting and varied history...

1982 Honda Passport
Old 06-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #24
AlabamaCowboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

On to Tullahoma...

I left Shelbyville for Tullahoma on 41A I think it was.....what I found on the way was unexpected.... a very old Lutheran Church that seemed to be out in the middle of nowhere.... Shofner Lutheran... founded in 1808 I believe and a beautiful old graveyard as well....I believe I read that this is the oldest Lutheran church in the State of Tennessee...

Martin Shofner (A Revolutionary War Soldier) and his wife are buried out front in a position of prominence in front of the church...

I'm not sure I have ever seen a more serene setting for a church and cemetery....very nice...and it would be interesting to learn more about this family and this very old congregation and their church.
1982 Honda Passport
Old 06-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #25
AlabamaCowboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Tullahoma Tennessee - St. Barnabas' Episcopal

After leaving Shofner Lutheran the sun was low enough to offer welcome shade and felt cool air for the first time since leaving early this morning....the fatigue of the long ride in the heat was taking its toll too... I think you know what I mean... one begins to imagine sounds, rattling noises and so forth and becomes mildly paranoid about mechanical failure...

I found St. Barnabas' Episcopal in Tullahoma without too much trouble.... just in time for a couple of quick photos before getting back on the road... pretty church built about 1897....(the older portion)

And I couldn't resist stopping to take a photo of the Methodist church as I was leaving town... a wedding...poor ushers outside in the heat greeting guests...

This was the only wedding I encountered during my travels today... I suppose most June weddings occur in the early evening (gets hot down South) and so I might have been too early to see others....
1982 Honda Passport
Old 06-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #26
AlabamaCowboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Winchester Tennessee - Trinity Episcopal

I know it was after 5pm when I arrived in Winchester looking for Trinity Episcopal ca.1859...and I was dragging.... and my camera memory card was nearly full.... so I really wanted to get this show on the road and get home.... I parked out back and wandered around outside as usual, taking my photographs, the doors were locked ....

I saw this really nice hearse in a lot across the street.... I couldn't understand why the keys were in the ignition, until I noticed the funeral home just across the side street... I suppose they need to be ready to roll on a moment's notice ?

I figured that would be it and I would hit the road for home... but as I walked back to my bike behind the church, I first noticed a car parked near and then a woman who seemed to be examining my bike with suspicion... I introduced myself and explained that I was a parishioner from Huntsville... doing a ride through South Central Tennessee and visiting historic Episcopal churches.... turns out she is the wife of the retired Priest and stopped by to investigate... So she unlocked the door and let me in to take a few photographs.... left me to lock up after myself.... Thank you !

Last pic on the memory card and my day was nearly done !! My ride home was about 50 miles from Winchester and I had to stop at New Market BBQ on the way in to get a Mini Pack for supper and sandwiches for a few days to come... I arrived safely home about 7 pm and spent a total of about 12 hours out on the road... logged over 300 miles....and was exhausted.. mostly from the heat.. but all the stops and dismounts for photos takes its toll too....
1982 Honda Passport

AlabamaCowboy screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 12:09 PM
Old 06-06-2011, 01:04 AM   #27
Ben Quick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
I am sure you must be familiar with The University of the South, in Sewanee on Monteagle TN. Beautiful gothic church and campus there. Not far from Huntsville.
Ben Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #28
AlabamaCowboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

University of the South - Sewanee... Of course ! Ive ridden there several times and a great place to ride to and visit...

It dawned upon me about half way through my ride that one would not normally expect to see so many 19th Century Episcopal churches in small Southern towns... and of course there is only one explanation ..... and it isnt that Episcopalianism swept South Central Tennessee by storm in the 19th century... It is Sewanee and its Seminary School...and I am sure a concerted effort to spread the word in the area ...

I started my ride with an ambitious goal to visit all of these small Episcopal churches in South Central Tennessee and along the way enjoyed a great ride, met some interesting people, learned alot and scratched that need to ride itch before the real summer heat descends upon us...I took hundreds of photographs and hope that folks here enjoy seeing and reading about my small adventure.....It may have been only one day, but I crammed alot into one day...

One last thought about visiting churches.... I dont think I would have felt as comfortable walking into Baptist or Church of Christ churches....probably easier to visit churches of a denomination of which you are a member..(in other words.. if you are Baptist.. you might want to visit Baptist churches.. Catholic.. Catholic churches, etc etc etc ) ..and Im not sure that all denominations are as accepting of cameras or visitors inside their churches....

I hope to put together additional loops in North Georgia or North Alabama and supplement this ride report at some point....

Thanks for reading/looking... If you have questions about any of the churches I visited or about the Episcopal Church in general, send me a PM....Happy to respond.
1982 Honda Passport

AlabamaCowboy screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 12:11 PM
Old 06-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #29
ajones
Left Blinker is ON

Oddometer: 267
From my Sister's Blog.

Hey AlabamaCowboy, I thought you would find this interesting.

AJ

In the turn of the 20th century days, a millionaire husband and wife dominated the social scene in Murfreesboro.

Tempe Swoope and George M. Darrow were their names. Neither were Rutherford County natives. Tempe was from Memphis. Her husband George had grown up in Nebraska.

Tempe’s mother, Elizabeth T. Swoope of Memphis, had acquired Oaklands and 200 acres at public auction in 1884. The house, considered one of Murfreesboro’s finest, was sold to cover the debts of Lewis Maney, who had died two years earlier.

Elizabeth’s will of 1890 left the historic home to Tempe, who with George leading the way, began the modernization of Oaklands. The dynamic couple made a number of changes, including adding electricity and modern plumbing. They added the elaborate front porch that gives the historic house a distinctive look.

Renaming the house Oak Manor, the Darrows proceeded to entertain in style, serving guests elaborate seven-course meals capped by dazzling deserts like ice cream sculpted and colored to look like watermelon.

Darrow also purchased one of Murfreesboro’s first automobiles around 1900, much to the terror of local livestock. Horses were mortally afraid of the car and Darrow was forced to stop completely when he met a horse-drawn vehicle.

But that dilemma didn’t slow Darrow down. In fact, the couple decided to build a new modern, fashionable home at 450 East Main Street.

The Neoclassical Darrow home was constructed in 1910 by Nashville architects Fletcher and Bell. It remains one of East Main’s most outstanding dwellings with a huge two-story portico with fluted columns.

The Darrows did bring certain elements to their new home from Oaklands including a massive chandelier they had installed in the front parlor.

George, who was raised in the Episcopalian church, also played a key role in establishing St. Paul’s. In 1828, a small, wooden building was erected on Spring Street. By 1927, the church was moved to East Main Street and expanded.

Along the way, the aggressive Darrow discovered an exceptional vocalist, young Frank Gumm, the son of William and Clemmie Gumm. The Gumm family, following the death of Clemmie in 1895, was in dire economic straits.

For whatever reason, Darrow was soon named godfather to young Gumm and arranged a choral scholarship for him at the Episcopal boys school at Sewanee, later called the University of the South.

Gumm stayed at Sewanee six years, before increasing family woes forced his return to Murfreesboro in 1904. His father died in 1906 and Frank worked as a stenographer and court reporter during the day and at night worked at a theater owned by his uncle, Walter D. Fox.

By 1909, Gumm, and his brother and sister, left Murfreesboro for Tullahoma, where their uncle was placed in charge of a home for widows and orphans of the Knights of Pythias.

The following year, Gumm, haunted by rumors of his bisexuality, left Tennessee for good. He traveled from theater to theater, performing.
Ultimately, he ended up in Superior, Minn. where he met a pianist named Ethel Milne. They married and had three girls. The third, with a slight change in spelling, was named after her father. Frances Gumm by age 13 had a new name and a growing fame as Judy Garland.

Yes, that Judy Garland, star of stage, screen and TV.

Pour ya'sef a sweet tea and get the rest of the story here, darlin'... http://www.charmofthecarolines.com/charm-of-the-carolines/#ixzz1Oh0WJulm
Old 06-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #30
AlabamaCowboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Facinating.... Thanks for sharing...

I definitely plan to go back and spend more time in Pulaski and Columbia and now seems I might want to add Murfreesboro to the list....

The South is full of interesting stories and history....
1982 Honda Passport