Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #31
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
But that isn't Enfield, it is a bloke knocking them up in his shed. A talented bloke I agree, but not factory.
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:03 AM   #32
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,179
there's another guy doing this too

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
http://www.musketvtwin.com/gallery.html

A guy named Aniket here in the US. He's pairing up 350s now, with a 1000 cc in development. Nicer looking case IMHO. Both very cool, and would probably pull a hack no sweat! Seems like a lot of motor for the frame in both cases though.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #33
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
But that isn't Enfield, it is a bloke knocking them up in his shed. A talented bloke I agree, but not factory.
To me they appear to be a highly-modified Enfield.
I.e. They start out with an Enfield.
Quote:
The design premise included keeping production and maintenance costs down with a worldwide availability of spare parts.
One consideration was to allow the hydraulic lifters to be accommodated above the standard Royal Enfield cams without modification to the barrels.
The standard Enfield primary drive cover has also been retained. The Enfield clutch is “beefed up” and a bigger engine sprocket is fitted to utilise the extra performance of the V-twin.
Next you'll be telling me that the next image isn't a Fiat, but "a bloke knocking them up in his shed."

Abarth 500 Esseesse

vortexau screwed with this post 02-18-2012 at 07:18 PM Reason: adding moniker
vortexau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 AM   #34
sidecaral
Dharmabum

Oddometer: 2
Royal Enfield fine with sidecar

Hi - currently running a 2009 Royal Enfield/sidecar combination. Sidecar is old Watsonian frame with homemade tub. I find it works just fine for my purposes - 20 miles to town, max speed limit 55 mph. Would work better with lighter sidecar so renovating a pre-1989 California Companion sidecar . I wouldn't be comfortable taking it out on a freeway but for local travel it's ok. A Royal Enfield with sidecar is a great looking rig! Al
sidecaral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #35
coupe1942
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
I'm sort of laughing a bit at some of the replies here over the RE with sidecar. My first experience with sidecars was actually with two Englishmen who were transplants to Texas and both had their Re's with sidecars. They wanted desperately to sell them to me at the time. Desperately is probably not quite enough emphasis of a catch phrase, either. To me, the biggest difference between a RE and a Ural, is that you can pass a stock Ural with a slow moving school bus, but you can pass a RE with attached hack by simply walking out to take out the morning garbage and walking faster than it is going. I found them to be very cool and charming looking myself (The rigs and not the two Englishmen), but underpowered is sort of a misnomer. I am still captivated by the looks though and I suspect a person owning one would actually still find it a blast and every bit as endearing as a Ural.

There is a reason Dogs do not live as long as we do. They are your Resume' in Heaven...
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #36
sidecaral
Dharmabum

Oddometer: 2
Royal Enfield California Companion

Just got the pre-1989 California Companion hooked up to the 2009 Royal Enfield. It works great for around here, much better than the homebuilt one i had on before. Hardly know it's there without passenger and still travels fine with 160 pound passenger. Has no problem maintaining 60mph at least on the flat. Companion is lighter, and more streamlined. Hack is light enough that it will fly pretty easy on right turns. I think it's a great combination for me, 20 miles to town, rural roads. Wouldn't be real comfortable spending a lot of time on a freeway with it, but that's not what i consider fun on a bike anyway. The new Enfields with UCE engine are fun, especially if you like the way old bikes look and new ones work. They still retain some of the british bike heritage - "ride, wrench, repeat" - but you can work on them real easy. Definitly conversation starters whenever you stop and get lots of smiles, especially with hack.

sidecaral screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 04:01 PM
sidecaral is offline   Reply With Quote