User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
yeagley23 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Wild Camping in Europe

I am looking for wild camping spots in Europe. I would like to travel and not have to pay an arm and a leg for a camping spot. I really don't need any amenities. I am aware of the "common man's rule" in many countries where you can camp anywhere as long as you move on after 1 night but I don't know which countries. Does anyone have any more info?
yeagley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:19 AM   #2
yeagley23 OP
Adventurer

Copenhagen, Denmark

To kick things off, I recently went on a trip to Denmark and stayed in Kalvebod field while I was in Copenhagen. It is completely wild camping and is an easy 10km ride from downtown.
Below is the website for how I found it...
http://www.naturstyrelsen.dk/Udgivel...a/Kalvebod.htm
Here are the GPS coordinates for the parking spot...
12°34'30"E, 55°36'07"N
Here are the GPS coordinates for the actual camping spot. You have to walk in about 2km to get to it...
12°33'37"E, 55°35'49"N
Old 06-04-2011, 04:25 AM   #3
yeagley23 OP
Adventurer

England and Wales

In England and Wales you have no general right to camp and if you do so you may be trespassing, unless you use an official site or first obtain the landowner’s permission. In practice responsible “wild” camping may be tolerated in upland areas, particularly when you are a long way from alternative accommodation, though strictly speaking you are still trespassing and could be moved on. Some upland areas have particular sites where camping is informally tolerated. The best approach is to enquire locally or contact information sources such as national park authorities in advance.

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/info/brit...ritain#Camping

Sorry to tackle a bunch of this myself but I figured I would do at least SOME of the legwork.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:29 AM   #4
yeagley23 OP
Adventurer

Scotland

In Scotland responsible wild camping is permitted on most land so long as you follow the Scottish Outdoor Access Code.

This website has the really specific stuff about Scotland's access code...
http://www.mcofs.org.uk/access-law-and-soac.asp
Old 06-04-2011, 04:50 AM   #5
PHILinFRANCE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
Hi Yeagley
You're ok in France unless it says private !!! one night in the woods and moving on is no problem at all here .....like most of us you will probably be up with the birds and gone and never see anyone.
Have a good one....Phil
Old 06-04-2011, 04:58 AM   #6
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
"Wild camping" as a part of Allemannsrätt (=Jedermannsrecht) in Sweden and Norway.
As bivouacing in the Alps above the wooded area. Not explicitly granted right, but common sense.
Too, there are many local rules. Especially in Germany, Austria and Switzerland with their federal system.
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
In Italy and Alps (my experience in France , Austria and Switzerland) its generally allowed to camp , but only for a night .

Outside cultivated areas , nobody will bother you for a tent in a bush.
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
fluff34567
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeagley23 View Post
In England and Wales you have no general right to camp and if you do so you may be trespassing, unless you use an official site or first obtain the landowner’s permission. In practice responsible “wild” camping may be tolerated in upland areas, particularly when you are a long way from alternative accommodation, though strictly speaking you are still trespassing and could be moved on. Some upland areas have particular sites where camping is informally tolerated. The best approach is to enquire locally or contact information sources such as national park authorities in advance.

Sorry to tackle a bunch of this myself but I figured I would do at least SOME of the legwork.
tresspass in england is a civil matter and therefore not illegal.
fluff34567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
tresspass in england is a civil matter and therefore not illegal.

But having a motorcycle on anything other than a public road in UK is illegal, and I'm sure the OP is on about having your tent pitched with your washing line from your bike to the nearest tree type arrangement..... iykwim.
Using info from sites like the rablers assoc will be misleading, be cautious using that info if getting to your pitch by motorcycle.

T.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
babisadve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Greece almost everywhere is allowed (mountain or by the sea) and not only for a night
babisadve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #11
fluff34567
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
But having a motorcycle on anything other than a public road in UK is illegal, and I'm sure the OP is on about having your tent pitched with your washing line from your bike to the nearest tree type arrangement..... iykwim.
Using info from sites like the rablers assoc will be misleading, be cautious using that info if getting to your pitch by motorcycle.

T.
true.. but looking at all the gypos its not worth anyones hassle as everyone knows it cant be really enforced. but of course the off road scene is a fragile 1 so anything to upset the local landowners etc should be avoided.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:44 AM   #12
fluff34567
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT View Post
In Italy and Alps (my experience in France , Austria and Switzerland) its generally allowed to camp , but only for a night .

Outside cultivated areas , nobody will bother you for a tent in a bush.
recent paper article about people wild camping in the swiss alps - causing a big problem and in the grindlewald area it s not allowed...

it varies by kanton so you can not assume its a general rule.

if you are out of the way and cant be seen go for it but dont be surprised if you get woken in the night
Old 06-06-2011, 01:16 AM   #13
yeagley23 OP
Adventurer

Switzerland

I've been wondering if there are areas in Switzerland, Austria and Germany where you CAN wild-camp. In Denmark, wild camping in random areas is illegal but Kalvebod Field has a spot that allows wild camping. Are there designated areas in these 3 countries, as well as England and Whales, that allow wild camping?
Old 06-06-2011, 04:27 AM   #14
alicethomas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Designated area doesn't really mean wild camping!?

If it is not prohibited, it is allowed.
But the prohibition may be in any level from general EU law down to community statutes.
For A, CH and D with their federal structure it usually depends on the state/kanton.
Some states like Bavaria (in Germany) grant free access to the public nature (with the exception of National Parks), you don't need to remain on the paved ways. Stay where you want.

Attention: This does not include the right to make an open fire!
alicethomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:52 AM   #15
yeagley23 OP
Adventurer

Sweet

Point taken about a designated area not being wild camping. I just meant camping without a ton of facilities and other stupid crap. The spot in Denmark required a walk in and I was completely alone. It isn't exactly alpine mountaineering but it's better than having another neighbor right next to you in a tent.
I actually live in Bavaria. I did not know that public nature areas were accessible without permits. I thought you still had to have designated areas for camping. I was aware of the no-fire rules. I may have to explore a little more with camping in my area. THANKS!