User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
AKmud OP
Muddy Gruver

Oddometer: 927
Eklutna Lake Rd.

Made a complaint or two to the State DOT and they finally got it swept.

Just sayin'
AKmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:08 PM   #2
Juvat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Good Call Mud, Mebbe after I finish "chorin" I'll go quality check the road out...
Juvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,501
Cool. Thanks for doing that.

I took my new Point 65N XP 18 kayak up there on Sunday and noticed there was more sand on the road than I'd ever seen.

Eklutna has long been one one of my favorite places for bicycling, hiking, kayaking. Oh, and railing some corners on a sportbike.

Good times. Mark H.

AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
legion
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,483
Unusual looking kayak. Looks fast, too. Don't recall seeing anything quite like that before.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
Unusual looking kayak. Looks fast, too. Don't recall seeing anything quite like that before.
You got a good eye there, Lege. Ain't never seen nuthin like it before myself.

Yep, it's a race/touring model designed by a Scandinavian designer named Magnus de Brito. "Magnus has been involved in design projects for industry giants such as Porsche, Intelligent Sound, Pirelli Boats and Agipi Marine. Using computer science technology, Magnus was responsible for streamlining parts of the new generation Porsche Boxter 987, Carrera 997 and Carrera GT.

The Pirelli boat design won the prestigious 2009 Red Dot design award, “Best of the Best.” Working with Pirelli and Agipi Marine has given Magnus engineering experience in marine design technology – experience not usually available to kayak companies."

18' long and 21" wide. Oh yeah, she goes good. Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 06-05-2011 at 07:10 PM
Old 06-05-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
beamertwin
Paul

Oddometer: 1,061
Nice looking boat Mark.
How is gear capacity for longish trips?
Primary and secondary stability?
Been on blue water yet?
beamertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamertwin View Post
Nice looking boat Mark.
How is gear capacity for longish trips?
Primary and secondary stability?
Been on blue water yet?
Thanks. LOTS of load capacity. 350lbs+ Hoping to maybe get to Seward tomorrow for a good saltwater christening.

This is me at 165lbs and about 35lbs onboard. I'm gonna velcro another 25lb barbell plate to the bottom for day tripping ballast.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
beamertwin
Paul

Oddometer: 1,061
Looks like you could put size 17 feet toes up in the bow and still have clearance!
beamertwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,200
Looks like you could put a motor in that sumbish & go like hell.
Takin’ one of yer Ducs to Seward?

Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:43 AM   #10
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,077
Statey's

Mud,
Why you always hatin' on Statey's?

Duc,
Had a chance to meet ya at your place of "work" (if that's what you call it).

C ya in Dawson!

Jim
Old 06-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
AKTobias
Frugal Badass

Oddometer: 240
Question the trail

What about complaining to the right people about riding motorcycles on the trail at Eklutna? Any progress there?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #12
AKLiz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTobias View Post
What about complaining to the right people about riding motorcycles on the trail at Eklutna? Any progress there?
What AK Tobias said. Was just looking up Eklutna Lake Trail the other day and was really perplexed as to why ATVs and snowmachines are ok, but motorcycles aren't...there's just as many 'hooligans' on four wheels
AKLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:00 AM   #13
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,200
Trail suggestions & a short rant

Quote:
It sucks, but I doubt they will change that rule.

Maybe if we knew just who to hound about it & enough of us did it continuously & relentlessly it could change.
My guess is that they know that dirt bikes could really fly up & down those trails at a pretty good clip. And with use by many bikes it would create berms in all the turns. I know that we sure did years ago when there were many places we could go that are now off limits.
Multi use trails my ass! No use for us at all.
We rode all the trails around Campbell airstrip, around what is now a ski area, over Power Line Pass. Any place there was a jeep trail & many that were just single track thru the woods or alongside some roads. We hauled ass on all of them. Hell, we even had an organized race from Indian up into Power Line Pass & back.

Now those are all off limits because all you damn Cheechackos moved in here & wanted it all civilized & shit & wanted ‘parks’ & paved & groomed trails & crap that I help pay for & don’t use.
“Get the hell outta my woods & clear outta here! GO BACK TO WHERE YA CAME FROM, YA FF's!”

Ok, that stuff gets me riled up a bit.
Sorry.
Just go back to where ya’all came from & I’ll be OK.

Oh, yeah! After the 1964 earthquake riding the mud flats at Portage around the 20 Mile River & where the AK Wildlife Conservation Center is was GREAT fun. There was even a track there with regular races for a while in the 70s. All of that is now grown over with a lot of tall grass & such where it was once all wide open mud flats & lots of space. Don’t know what “the authorities” would do if you tried riding there now. There may be some open & not overgrown areas around the bend & on the other side of the arm. I’d sure like to ride there some more. Was like riding on modeling clay. Max traction. Watch out for the wet, soft spots!

OK, OK!
Getting back to knowing who to hound relentlessly about a rule change to allow bikes.
I would suggest if this could be done that the rule we propose would be that only licensed bikes would be allowed to use the trails. Maybe even a damn speed limit.
I really don’t want it that way, but it might help dispel the vision that the keepers of that area would or do have of truck loads & herds & packs of loud & fast MX bikes converging on the place.
It’s a thought, but I ain’t gonna hold my breath waiting for the rules to change.

Another trail option:
I do know that you can somehow get a pass to ride the Fort Richardson tank trails. Used to do this & & get onto other trails, like under the power line, & ride clear to Eklutna.
AKgeekgrrl has done this & told me about it. I sort of forget about it but wanted her to line out what & where you need to go & do for the pass. I think you just go to one particular guard station at the entrance to the base & apply for the pass. You must have a safety vest to ride the trails, just like anywhere on base. Fun trails.
There once was single track trail in one spot off the tank trail that went thru the woods & led to a mountain top. Over the other side, down, & up to another mountain top too. Wonder if I could still find it.

Maybe I’ll send AKgeekgrrl a PM & see if I can lure her into this thread to tell us exactly how to get the pass. If she wants to keep it to herself, I wouldn’t blame her.
Anybody else done this?
AKgeekgrrl very seldom posts & I haven’t seen her in 2-3 years. I’ll bet she was racing at Tanacross last weekend on her Ninja 250. Tim McKittrick was there. His friend & mine, Don D. was also racing one of his Ninja 250s there last weekend & had his front wheel fold under & he lowsided. Got hurt. Seems to be ribs. He’s hurtin’ pretty bad. Don’t slap him on the back!
Poor bastage is about my age too.

Damn, that’s a lotta typin’ fer me.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #14
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Quote:
No kidding! That would be great but like Tom said it would really get torn up by all the wild high speed moto-x'ers.

Man, Tom. You musta really been in the mood to do some writin'! lol Oh, and as usual, masterful photochop.

Finally got the kayak into so blue water down on Resurrection Bay yesterday. Big wind so crazy fun!

Wrote a wave riding report in the Canoe and Kayak thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...6#post16106336
Old 06-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #15
JustInconsistent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
, that’s a lotta typin’ fer me.
And not a single picture, even!

I have to chime in now. . . Your idea about licensed bikes only is a good one, definitely worth checking into. A speed limit would just be icing. There should be a way you could all use the trails.

DNR has the regs under them and are who you need to talk to. It would actually take quite the process requiring review by state lawyers and everything to have things changed, but it's no problem because that's what they are there for. Or so I thought. I found the exact regulations that nix both Eklutna Lake Trail and Bird Creek Trail and will locate them again if someone would like to pursue it. I'll even show you where to meet those. . . . mmmmm. . . I'll take you to them.

A word of warning, after the M word came out of my mouth they were not nice at all. I was nothing but polite and professional through the whole thing, and that is not what I got back. They cited PSI on the ground as the reason for the regs. The thing is the bicycles, but mostly horses, put much more psi on the ground than the average dual sport. From there the conversation was over. Period. When I asked where I go or who I talk to from there (meaning up the chain), the person I was talking to said, "There's nothing you can do. Maybe if you were trying one of those Rokon bikes with the big tires", and then moved on to the next customer - as I'm still standing in front of him. Like it's that one man's decision who the hell gets to ride the trail and why.

At this point I am thoroughly confused by DNR - Parks & Rec. I've met a lot of cool people that work for them & never met a park ranger that wasn't cool. . . but walk into that office and it's a whole different ball game. I'll gladly support any efforts to open those trails by providing research and such, but I lack the tact required to work with people that have such a strong predetermined prejudice.

Wow. Not one bad word! I'm not sure I could've stopped if I got started. Best of luck to anyone pursuing this. Like I said, I'll help with research material, process and procedure if someone else will do the talking. It was about two years ago I got burnt by them, so maybe that f. . . . maybe there's been a staff turnover since.