Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,790
West Virginia - E. Panhandle Sampler

Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia – A Small Sampler

June 2011 (Day 1)

Since I have not explored the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia on the motorcycle, I thought it was about time. I have traveled through this area a few times in the car, but never had the time to stop and look at the back roads I enjoy so much. Since I only had 2 days, I wanted to see what is probably the most historical town, Harpers Ferry, as well as exploring some out of the way, hidden places.

My trip started early on Tuesday morning, but even at 7:00, the temperature was approaching 80 and climbing quickly. It didn’t take long for both the temperature and humidity to climb into the 90s.

Rt 50 eastbound near Cool Springs in Preston County. Nice section of curvy road!

I met up with a friend, Pat, at the Lazy-A Campground just west of Martinsburg. This family-owned campground has about a dozen tent sites and about 8 RV sites with water & electricity. The barn is used for parties and receptions. Very nice people!

The tent sites are located in a cluster of trees next to a small river.

Very peaceful, but, unfortunately, very hot today as the temperatures soared into the high 90s. The shade helped some.

The campsite also offers nice shower facilities.

It was tempting to cool off in the river, but the insurance regulations prohibit it.

Pat and I set up camp before going out to explore for the evening.

Our first stop was in Charles Town for a very late lunch at Subway.

Here, we planned out the evening’s route through several towns in Jefferson and Berkeley Counties.

Charles Town is the County Seat of Jefferson County. It has a population of about 2,900. Named after Charles Washington, the youngest brother of President George Washington. In 1844, the first issue of “The Spirit of Jefferson” was published. Now named the “Spirit of Jefferson – Advocate”, it is one of the oldest newspapers in West Virginia.

A plaque commemorating Charles Washington.

The Jefferson County Courthouse in downtown Charles Town.

A view to the right of the courthouse.

And, a view to the left of the courthouse.

A view from several blocks away, looking back at the courthouse area.

Soon, we were on our way out Rt 340 eastbound to Harpers Ferry.

This aerial photo shows the layout of the town, with the “point” located in the bottom left of the photo.

Located at the confluence of the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers, it is also the meeting point of West Virginia, Maryland, and Virginia. It is probably best known for John Brown’s 1859 raid on the armory in an attempt to capture weapons and initiate a slave uprising. This failed when then Lt Col Robert E. Lee arrived with troops and captured Brown, who was tried, convicted, and hanged. This event was one of the sparks igniting the Civil War.

A view coming down the hill into Harpers Ferry.

This is usually a busy street, but not today (the day after Memorial Day). Timing is everything.

Getting closer to downtown Harpers Ferry. Pat stopped ahead, leery of something wrong. J

The old train station also houses a museum.

Behind the train station, Amtrak trains roll through daily.

This is the view east across the Potomac River and through the tunnel into Maryland.

Look closely at the previous photo, and you will see this large painted sign about 150 feet to the left and above the train tunnel.

Faded and hard to read, so it’s a FAQ. From the National Park Service Website: http://www.nps.gov/hafe/index.htm

What does the sign on Maryland Heights say?Painted around 1903-06, the sign reads Mennen's Borated Talcum Toilet Powder.

The abolitionist John Brown.

John Brown’s Fort – the Fire House

This plaque tells the long story of this building – moved from its original location 4 times!

Plaque on the front of John Brown’s Fort.

This plaque shows the fire house (from previous photos) alongside the armory.

Series of plaques along the walkway behind John Brown’s Fort.

The Appalachian Trail cuts right through downtown Harpers Ferry.

The Appalachian Trail goes east across this bridge into Maryland. Only 1,165 miles to Maine.

Close-up of the train tunnel into Maryland.

Looking back across the bridge westbound into Harpers Ferry.

In this photo, I am standing in Maryland, looking across the Potomac River into West Virginia (to the right) and Virginia (to the left).

Looking back up the street we came into town on. Still deserted.

I expected to see Clint Eastwood appear and the lonely whistle of “The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly”.

Where are we? We are here. Still in Harpers Ferry.

On the west side of downtown Harpers Ferry, the Appalachian Trail continues southbound.

On the hill overlooking Harpers Ferry is the Jefferson Rock.

These steps are actually part of the Appalachian Trail, leading up the hill to Jefferson Rock.

Another marker along the path.

We’re there! Approaching Jefferson Rock on the left.

The original rock is now set up on several small pedestals.

After leaving Harpers Ferry, we turned north on County Road 28, running along the Potomac River.

This historical marker tells the story about Civil War battles in the area.

The historical marker in the previous photo is located along this fence.

One can only imagine the troops facing each other in battle on these fields.

Continuing north on CR28, the hustle and bustle of civilization is quickly traded for the quiet serenity of the backwoods.

It was like suddenly being in Smoke Hole (near Seneca Rocks).

Pat enjoying the scenery along the way. Lots of farms.

Bethesda United Methodist Church near Moler Crossroads, south of Shepherdstown.

One of many nice scenes along the way. (Now on CR 31-2 and CR 17-1)

CR 17-1 northbound along the Potomac, approaching Shepherdstown.

Shepherd College has been a major part of this town for over 125 years.

View of one of the original college buildings. The campus extends for several blocks behind here.

View up the main road (German St) westbound through Shepherdstown.

View of Shepherdstown looking the other direction (eastbound).

Chartered in 1762 (then Virginia), Shepherdstown is the oldest town in West Virginia.

The Battle of Shepherdstown (also known as the Battle of Boteler's Ford or Cement Mill) occurred on September 20, 1862, during Lee's retreat. More than 100 Confederate soldiers died here and were buried in Elmwood Cemetery. Elmwood's hallowed ground contains the graves of 285 Confederate veterans.

After this it was on to Martinsburg, about 15 miles west.

Berkeley County Courthouse, Martinsburg

View south from the Berkeley County Court House.

View east from the Berkeley County Courthouse.

Since the light was fading quickly, we made a quick stop for gas and groceries (water and Gatorade to stay hydrated in the 90-degree heat) and headed back to camp. Coming out of Martinsburg on County Road 15, we passed the Tuscarora Church with its new Historical Marker. However, it was too dark to get a good picture. Pat said he would get it in the morning on his way home. We continued west on CR15 and CR18 (Boyd’s Gap Road) over North Mountain toward Shanghai. The road narrowed to just one wide lane, and turned twisty as it meandered over the ridge. Being pitch black and with no street lights, reading the fine print on the map proved to be a challenge for my old bifocal eyes.

Luckily, out in the middle of nowhere, a church!

The large sign in the parking lot showed us that God will shine the light and lead us when we need Him. Amen!

We were back at the camp by 10pm.

(to be continued..)

www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 06-10-2011 at 05:57 PM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
pnoman OP
Just Average

West Virginia E. Panhandle Sampler - Day 2

(Day 2)

The next morning (Wednesday), I walked up to the shower house and snapped a few photos along the way. This is the view from the campsite back towards the homes along the road.

After showering, I returned to the camp and joined Pat for a breakfast of juice and pastries we had bought the night before. Then, we packed up and headed north a few miles to Shanghai (I kid you not), where we split up to go our separate directions. Pat headed east back over the Boyd’s Gap Road we traveled the night before, and headed south to his home in Virginia. I turned west onto CR7-13 at Shanghai to head north and west on back roads to Berkeley Springs.

Here is the start of CR7-13, also known as Hampshire Grade Road.

It turns out to be a nice road with lots of nice scenery.

Over the hills and through the woods……..

Throw in a few hairpin turns to keep it interesting.

More nice views when the road tops a ridge.

At Stotler’s Crossroads (about 12 miles south of Berkeley Springs), the road widens back to 2-lanes.

Nice view to the west from Stotler’s Crossroads.

Berkeley Springs is the County Seat of Morgan County.

It is noted as an artist community, with a population of about 660. There are many arts & craft shops, as well as local musicians performing at local restaurants and bars. Berkeley Springs was a popular resort area during the early years of the United States. The mineral springs drew many visitors from metropolitan areas. Notable visitors to the area included George Washington. The area continues to be a popular resort area with tourism the main industry in the county and four full service spas using the mineral water. The original name of the town was Bath. Bath became known to the world as Berkeley Springs in 1802 when the Virginia postal system was established and there was already a Bath, Virginia in Bath County. The waters were known as Berkeley Springs because the protocol was to name springs after the county in which they were located. At that time, Bath was part of Berkeley County named after colonial Governor Norborne Berkeley.

Morgan County Courthouse in downtown Berkeley Springs. I understand the old courthouse burned down a few years ago, and this is the new one.

The springs are located to the left, around the white bath-house. To the right are some of the local artisan shops.

The bath-house.

Historical Marker.

This couple was enjoying the cool spring water.

Nearby, in the city park, a time capsule was buried in 1963. If you happen to be in town in 2063, stop by when they open it.

This 12-inch plaque marks the spot of the time capsule.

View north on Rt 522 passing through Berkeley Springs.

They even have their own “Berkeley Castle”, located on Rt 9 just as you are leaving town westbound.

Just a few miles from Berkeley Springs on Rt 9 westbound is this nice overlook.

Below is the Potomac River, and Maryland sits on the other side.

Rt 9 continues westbound, providing lots of curves for an interesting ride.

Not too much farther along, though, and Rt 9 mellows out and offers a relaxed ride to Paw Paw.

About 20-25 miles west of Berkeley Springs lies the town of Paw Paw.

(From Wikipedia):

Paw Paw is a town in Morgan County. The population was 524 at the 2000 census. The town is known for the nearby Paw Paw Tunnel. Paw Paw was incorporated by the Circuit Court of Morgan County on April 8, 1891 and named for the pawpaw, a wild fruit which formerly grew in abundance throughout this region.

PLEASE NOTE: At the bottom of this hill, the speed limit drops to 25MPH. There is a young police officer who will be glad to remind you of the speed limit should you choose not to obey the sign. I actually stopped and talked with him awhile, since I was taking some photos next to where he was sitting. He rides a Kawasaki Ninja and loves to ride. He seemed very interested in our Historical Markers project.

Historical Marker in downtown Paw Paw.

View of the main intersection in town. There is a nice Veterans’ Memorial to the left.

A better view of the Veterans’ Memorial.

Paw Paw City Hall.

Rt 29 south from Paw Paw down to Rt 50 is one of the straightest 2-lanes in the state.

Still, the scenery more than made up for the lack of curves.

From here, I circled around down to Petersburg, grabbed the West Virginia Tag (sort of an online photo scavenger hunt) at Smoke Hole, and headed back to Clarksburg. Coming across the mountains between Seneca Rocks and Elkins, it suddenly turned dark and within minutes it was pouring the rain and pounding me with marble-size hail. The road was covered in ice! Just 15 minutes earlier, it was in the 90’s. Visibility was about 30 – 40 feet, and I had a large truck not too far behind me coming down the mountain. I found a safe place to pull over and clean off my glasses, and a few seconds later the truck roared by. Within 15 minutes, the sun was out again. What a day!

Hope you enjoyed the Eastern Panhandle Sampler.

For more - visit www.RidingWV.com
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 06-14-2011 at 04:12 AM
Old 06-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #3
flyinlow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Very nice. Thanks for the report.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #4
Antennas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Yes what a nice area with lots of neat history and great riding. Nice pics and report. One day I will ride down there!!

Andrew

http://ridethemaritimes.blogspot.com

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/bay...y-harbour.html
Antennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
I went to grade school in Martinsburg and the sights bring me back. It's a bit of a trip but it's definitely on my do do list to make a riding tour of the area.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
tommy salami
What the DUECE?

Oddometer: 221
Keep up the good work!

You do a great job with the historical aspect of your travels, nice job! I enjoy your reports, and I like your pic's. keep'em coming!

It's more like "Fool Sport".
tommy salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
pnoman OP
Just Average

Thanks for the nice notes, folks. Glad you enjoyed it. I'm working on another one - Blackwater Falls, Greenland Gap, Tucker/Grant/Preston Counties. Coming soon (I hope).

Last week when I was in the E. Panhandle, I was stung by a bee on my right leg just above the top of my boot. It must have blown in and up under the cuff. Well, it turned all red and I got red bumps all up the leg, then on my other leg, then on my stomach. Earlier this week, the local VA hospital said it was infected and gave me anti-biotics, which did nothing for the redness, swelling, or intense itching.

I just got back from a day at the VA Hospital in Pittsburgh. I went up for the last follow up for the elbow surgery back in Feb, and the Dr looked at my leg and said that's not an infection, but an allergic reaction. She sent me down to the ER, where i spent the next 5 hours waiting to be seen. The Dr there agreed - one bee sting and the rest (all the bumps) is reaction to that. I forgot to ask about getting an epi pen, since each of the last 3 bee stings I've had have gotten worse and worse. They say that happens, instead of building up an immunity. If this one had stung me on the neck or face, it could have been much worse. I don't think I'll be doing much riding this week unless the new meds work quickly. I was up all of last night itching like crazy.

This photo is 10 days after the bite. At least the swelling around the ankle is going down a little.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 06-11-2011 at 06:19 AM
Old 06-10-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
1. amazing thread
great pictures
i really appreciate the "trip"

2. sorry about bee sting reaction
please take care of yourself

thanks for sharing
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:14 AM   #9
E-man
4-4-09, 12-6-09, 1-13-10

Oddometer: 9,072
Great pics and since its close to me, I will make it down there one day.
thanks
E.O.W. 12-06-09 Officer Crawshaw
E.O.W. 10-12-11 Derek Kotecki
E-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
yellowknife
Is In Canada

Oddometer: 679
Interesting History pictures and RR

Thanks for posting - get better soon.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:03 AM   #11
taminator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Enjoyed the report and pictures! Riding the back roads you find the most beautiful scenery.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #12
Vinbowie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Really nice, and close to me.
I love it out there.
They just stand back and let it all be." Springsteen
Vinbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:47 PM   #13
pnoman OP
Just Average

Thanks for the nice notes. Glad you all enjoyed the trip with me.

The bee sting is 90% cured. The Drs. at the VA Emergency Room gave me Prednisone (sp?) which is the WORST TASTING pills I have ever put in my mouth. YUCK! But, they did the job. I have a follow up Friday morning so I can show the earlier photos to my local Doc and see about getting an EPI pen or something similar.

Still working on the Blackwater Falls/Greenland Cap/Rt 72 Parsons ride report. Coming soon, I hope.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 06-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
That was a very nice account of your travels through my stomping grounds. :)
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #15
WAH III
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Thanks for the great pics and history lessons. I am still very interested in seeing your neck of the woods but due to a death in the family (stepmother) much of my riding has been put on hold. Maybe this fall.