User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
32vsnake OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Victoria to Jordan River with a HyperTard

Picked up a new 2010 Hypermotard yesterday and decided to take it out for a short maiden voyage this morning.
So this report is going to be a little bit about the new ride and the first ride.

This bike represents a couple of firsts for me; first Ducati, first Italian bike and my first twin, so I was expecting some serious differences from my 08 GSXR.

First thing’s I noticed yesterday on the ride home from the dealership were the horrible clutch engagement and the rubbish fuelling below 3500 RPM.
Once up to speed things smooth out a bit, hit a 110km/hr and am introduced some long ago forgotten physics lesson about force, matter and resistance.

Hmm this could be a good upper body workout, sweet I bought a bike that comes with its own built in gym membership.

I’m 5km into my new ride and wishing that I was on my Suzuki with its sweet friction zone, perfect fuel mapping and full fairings.
Hopefully things will smooth out once the bike breaks in.

Fast forward to today and with some 20’C weather with not a cloud in the sky; I've decided the temperamental Italian and I need some alone time to become better acquainted.

Attached the cortech tail bag and threw a dart at the map…destination Jordan River. The trip puts me approximately 150km from my home in Victoria, which is probably plenty of time to get to know my newest mistress (or just far enough from home to push her off a cliff if she misbehaves)

Based on our tremulous beginning I figured I should take some pictures of the bike prior to leaving home, just in case we don’t arrive home sunny side up.

Well it didn’t get any uglier overnight; surely that’s a good sign. Turns out we’re already off to a better start. Drove through a speed trap and oddly enough wasn’t doing enough speed to draw the attention of Johnny law. Score one for the lack of wind protection, built in radar detector that stuff is.

Somehow this looks like it might be the bikes natural environment…O my what have I done

Welcome to our little paradise (just inside of Sooke BC) where even the gas stations have ocean views

View from the Jordan River view point

Silly Kayakers….guess they don’t know that you can get boats with engines. Beautiful day to be on the water and I must admit to being slightly jealous

So far the ride out has been Ok…not great but OK. The fuelling still sucks as does the clutch engagement but she’s warming up to me

Not much to be said here…could be the best food ever, let me know if you try it and live.

Road out of Jordan River

Entrance to French Beach Provincial Park. If you’re visiting the Island and camping is on your agenda this would be one place to consider spending some time. Reservations highly recommended

Oh look it thinks it’s a dual sport…gravel for the win!

And right about here is where the cameras batteries go on strike…

So did I come to terms with my new Italian steed...possibly? The ride home started to endure me to the bikes wicked charms.

Sweet booming V-twin music, slick shifting and the ability to hold damn near any line… I lusted after the bike in the showroom; now that the honey moon is over I’m starting to fall in love with it.

But every now and then it had its way with me and shuddered away from a stop. Subtle reminder of who’s in charge, makes me think I just got married for the second time.