User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
JayAre OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Breakfest in Two NM Mining Towns

My wife and daughter were off visiting family this weekend, and I was going to get some of the projects done around the house that have been on the to-do list for a while. OR...I could throw the tent on the bike and check out somewhere I've never been before. Option 2 was the clear winner.

I wanted to go check out Snow Lake in the Gila NF. I got all packed up and hit the road from Las Cruces, NM at about 8:45 on Saturday. Note the high dollar tail bag. I opted for the more expensive double zipper Ziplock.

I rode up NM185 to NM26 through Hatch to NM27. Passed a new solar power plant on the way and saw a bunch of wind turbines at Nutt.

Continued down NM27 to Hillsboro. I stopped in at the General Store Cafe for breakfast. Thumbs up to their breakfast enchiladas. Saw a few guys on BMWs heading out I was going in.

JayAre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
JayAre OP
n00b

After Hillsboro I headed up NM152 and its famed twisties to Emory Pass.

Then it was on to Silver City via NM152. I passed the classic NM road sign on the way. It was shot full of holes and tagged.

I've been to Silver City numerous times, but never via 152. This was the first time I saw the open pit mines near there in all of their glory.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
JayAre OP
n00b

I got on US180 in Silver City and headed towards Glenwood. Before Glenwood I stopped at the Aldo Leopold Lookout. Ol' Aldo came up with the "Wilderness" concept and persuaded Congress to designate three-quarters of a million acres in southwestern NM as the Gila Wilderness. The smoke plume from the Wallow Fire near Alpine, AZ was now visible.

I didn't take any pictures of Glenwood. I was thinking of checking out the Catwalk Trail and Fish Hatchery there, but I wanted to start my ascent to Mogollon and Snow Lake. The road off of 180 to Mogollon becomes 1-lane as you near the town. I gave the locals a waive as I passed through. The road turns to dirt switchbacks past the town. I stopped at Silver Creek Divide to take a break and enjoy the clean air at 9,150'.

JayAre screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 10:21 PM
Old 06-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 408
Subscribed! I've been up this road all the way from SC to the Gila NM in a cage. Family thought I was nuts driving the Odyssey like it was a Ferarri. I want to get throught here on a bike again. Bringing back a lot of great memories, keep it comin :).

Well, I take it back, I may not have been up this exact road, I was on all pavement, but the road was curve heaven. And that quarry coming out of nowhere was crazy.
Ricky Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
JayAre OP
n00b

I set up camp at Snow Lake as the sun was setting behind the hills. I was the only one in the campground, except for a rancher running cattle with his dogs. They left before it got dark.

I looked the bike over after setting the tent up and found coolant dripping from skidplate. I figured a rock had punctured something or a hose broke, etc. So I pulled the faring off and found this:

The top had come off of the coolant reservoir and lodged itself in a nook behind the tank. Checked the fluid, and it was still within range, so I put the top back on along with a piece of tape for insurance.

The Gila is under Stage 2 fire restrictions which means no fires, no charcoal, and no stoves. I put boiling water in a thermos before I left and broke out the dehydrated Beef Stew for dinner.

JayAre screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 04:43 PM
Old 06-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
JayAre OP
n00b

I woke up to a chilly morning at 7,300'. Packed up and heading back down the hill to Mogollon for breakfast. I ate at the Purple Onion Cafe. The owner said that the power had went out just as I was pulling up. Turns out that fire had taken a pole out in Luna,NM. Lucky for me they had just brewed a fresh pot of coffee and the grill was gas. So breakfast was still on. I had the green chile omelet. Highly recommended. After eating, I backtracked down 180 to NM26 through Hatch to NM185 back to Las Cruces.

Oh...if you ever need a break between Silver City and Deming, stop at the Butterfield Rest Stop and be sure to let the NMDOT know how their facilities rate:

Just watch out for the snakes

JayAre screwed with this post 06-06-2011 at 10:15 PM
Old 06-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
Zojirushi
Surly Sailor

Oddometer: 99
Great RR. I am headed out to Magdalena tomorrow. Unfortunately, I won't have my bike. Beautiful country, though.
Zojirushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 408
I intend to hit the Roswell festival over the 4th, then run over to Silver City and ride up to the Gila NM, then on up to the VLA and such while trying to get to Area 51 later that week. My Alasks plans changed so I will be soloing this time...better than nothing I say :). Will try to hit these places if possible. Thanks for the good info again.
Ricky Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote