User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
RichBeBe OP
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,119
NYC Dual Sporting

So a few weeks back some of the Westchester and Bronx guys went down to Jersey to meet the Jersey boys and do a motard/dual sport/ big trailie ride. You can read about it here. I skipped it since Jersey is so boring Actually I had prior plans.
Well Cyberdos said next time we ride in our backyard and laid out a nice little 100 mile loop. Here is the thread CyberDos started in the East Regional forum to plan the ride. Of course the Jersey boys all backed out and came up with excuses so we decided to set out this morning at 8 am.

I pull up to the gas station we planned to meet at and I am all alone. Just me and the "big tree"

The story is my ex-wife's friend one time asked in all seriousness why that tree was so much bigger than the rest of the trees. Luckily her looks don't match her brains, think of Miss Teen South Carolina.

So I sat there and took some pics of my Elefant

Soon after I got there drklr and sorry I forgot your name who rides a KTM950 showed up.

Followed by CyberDos and VFR870 our fearless late leaders
Of course Cyberdos had a dead battery so they had to bump start it. I refused to help and only shot pics.

"So if I get on the back and drklr sticks his hand up my ass it will start right?"

"What if I scream...vroom...vroommm, how about then?"

And we're off.

We headed up the Hutch a bit and peeled off and we enjoyed some real tight, some gnarly and some smooth twisty stuff. Though it was a Sunday morning we barely passed any cars, nor were we held up by any either. I knew most of the roads we took in the first section of the ride from working for a Ducati dealer in the area in the 90's but I never linked all the roads together. My favorite was Dingletown Rd. with it's downhill hairpins and a mini corkscrew ala Laguna Seca. I followed CyberDos who was setting a nice comfortable but quick pace and I was wishing I was on something lighter than my Elefant but it was fun. After a bit sorry I forgot your name who rides a KTM950 peeled off and we rode some more than drklr peeled off not long after. He told us he had plans to meet a friend at Marcus Dairy, before the ride.

We then rode to Armonk and had breakfast and hit some more twisties when lo and behold we his some dirt. It was serious hard packed smooth, any bike could ride it dirt, but still dirt.

We stopped by a Byram Lake and took some pics.

Then headed off for some more twisties and dirt and stopped again at another almost dry lake or reservoir

For our next rock ride we'll try this dry lake bed

Riding out of there we hit a "Road Closed, Bridge Out" sign. Well we have dual purpose bikes so let's go explore.
Here's CyberDos playing toll lift arm for me

Ut oh!!!

Well we got around the fence and it was passable, so we made it across to the other side
Bridges? Bridges...We don't need no stinkin bridges!!!

The rest of the ride was fun and uneventful and at the end we were near some roads I always wanted to tear up. There is a huge private condo development with essentially a racetrack through it nearby, so I led the boys and we had some fun. Sorry no photos of these roads. We came out and got gas and decided to head via the slab.
Riding to 684 I eyed an old abandoned bridge I had seen before and a little dirt road heading towards it. I pulled off and asked if anyone wanted to explore and I got two enthusiastic "yes's" so we went exploring. First road hot a fence, well hell we know how to get past those, don't we now?

We went a bit and hit a dead end and no way to the bridge. I remembered seeing a pseudo road on the other side of the bridge so we went for that.
After crossing another barrier it got a bit overgrown but we pressed on.
Can you spot the Elefant rider in the pic

or maybe the DR650?

We decided to scout a head once the trail closed up too much, to see if we could make it.

Well we made it to the bridge on foot.

We sent VFR870 on foot to test the bridge for us, he reported we'd have to wheelie over this missing section

Have a nice long walk off a short pier

Welded shut gate, guess we have to double back

"So where did I park my Elefant?"

"Oh and thanks for taking a pic instead of helping me turn the big pig around. It is ok, I am sure you forgot how I pushed you up the soft hill as you roosted me when you were stuck earlier."

And we rode out

What a fun day and great ride and we were never more than 45 minutes from NYC.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe

"So if I get on the back and drklr sticks his hand up my ass it will start right?"

"What if I scream...vroom...vroommm, how about then?"

"Oh and thanks for taking a pic instead of helping me turn the big pig around. It is ok, I am sure you forgot how I pushed you up the soft hill as you roosted me when you were stuck earlier."

Well, I couldnt just watch you struggle with the pig, I had to take a picture of it first. *Then* help you. But you finished before I got there C'mon, you know the road to hell is paved with good intentions....

Oh, the roost was my way of saying thanks for the push! Next time I'll get Cyber to help ya as I take pics.

Great ridin with ya today, mebbe the Joisey Boyz will join us next time.

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,139
Nice to see some "untouched" area around the big city.

No offense to you or anyone else who lives in that city but that is one city I hope I never have to visit.

If we can just stay in the areas you photographed I would be good though.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:26 AM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,589
who would have thunk you'd find D-S riding in NYC! Nice find
Old 09-17-2007, 05:45 AM   #5
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 24,474
Laugh Me wants more

Great pics guys and what a great day.

I'm always in pursuit of new and exciting roads but I had never really thought about scouting things so close to the city. As a sportbike rider anything within 50 miles of the city seems like it’s either too congested or full of potholes and not overly enticing. After getting a dualsport all that changed and I’ve slowly but surely been able to scout out these roads and now finally put them on one cohesive route. I’m sure there’s plenty more out there and I will continue to scout the area.

I had been tentative to put these roads on public forum because we pass through some VERY upscale neighborhoods that probably don’t want us passing through them. I hope that everyone who uses this route does so responsibly and does everything possible not to piss too many of these people off so that we can enjoy them freely. There’s not many of these so close to NYC so we have to cherish them.

Like mentioned above, there is hardly any traffic on 95% of these roads and I’ve mostly done my scouting on the weekends. If you ride them during the week days I bet they will be deserted.

I’m glad we were able to enjoy yesterday so much. It provides the incentive (like if I needed any) for me to make the next one even better!
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:55 AM   #6
RichBeBe OP
All Hail Seitan!!!

Great point about being respectful. We passed a home of one of my old customers that was on the market for over 20 million in 1995. I can't imagine what those houses are worth and how powerful the people who live in them are.
We did not tear it up down the straight aways, nor did we have really loud obnoxious bikes. If people do the cops will be there and close it down quickly.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 24,474
Thumb Latest and greatest

Here is the updated/fixed gps file for this route.

linky

Enjoy!
cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #8
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Thumb

I think we were all in the same mindset. When we came upon the guy about to trot out on his horse, we stopped and let him wave us by, one by one. I learned that on my ride in the Barrens. The one horse in the driveway, about to come out definitely looked spooked, so it's a good thing we pulled over & waited for the guy to wave us by. I think we were able to have fun without pissing anybody off.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:05 PM   #9
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

NYC Dual Sporting part2

OK, this is actually in NYC, the Bronx to be specific. Cyberdos came over today for a lil wrenching and we've got a secret not-so-legal spot very close to my house. We mounted a Cheng Shin 858 on the rear so we had to test it out
I also finally got my Yamaha TW200 running right after a diesel fuel incident the last time we were out so I had to put the lil Tee Dub through it's paces as well.

Here's some pics....

Cyberdos on his DR650

Yup, this is actually in NYC....

WOOHOO, I catch a little air on my Tee Dub.

Just in case you were saying, "nah, there's no way in hell that's in NYC" Cyberdos points to the Empire State Building in the skyline behind him.

I tried to cut a path and make a loop to connect a trail but it was some serious thick stuff. To the TW's credit, it plowed through like a freight train. I love that little bike.

I guess I need some brush guards on the Tee Dub.

Yup, there is ADVenture to be had in NYC.

For those that want to know where this secret place is, I drink Negra Modelo's, or Heineken.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #10
RichBeBe OP
All Hail Seitan!!!

Looks like fun...So it is Negra Modelo's, or Heineken's.
That last picture reminded me of something from our last ride. As you were peeling off the Hutch I noticed a long piece of a weed hanging off you bike dragging. It was one of those weeds from the bridge you bought home. I laughed as I headed towards the Whitestone.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:54 PM   #11
Research Rat
thrasher

Oddometer: 701
This looks great. Can anyone recommend some other good ds rides just outside the city?

This sunday will be first dsride (just picked up the XRL this week) with some rider friends. Any trail recos would be appreciated.
-Scott
Research Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
pfdavidz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Amazing!! Finally!!!

I cat wait to go. Anyone wanna join?
pfdavidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #13
RichBeBe OP
All Hail Seitan!!!

Wow, back from the dead thread!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #14
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
Wow, back from the dead thread!
Good thing we took pics, that place is gone now.