User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
Han Solo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
TAT Ride Report - New Mexico to Colorado

This is an excerpt from our blog. Wish we could post pictures here but there are lots of them on the blog.

We break the silence and scooch on down the road, spitting gravel as we go. Pushing the emptiness back with our motors. I like the idea of living way out here. A solitary, self reliant existence. A garden, plenty of honest work to be done and very few distractions. I wish I was the type of person who could be happy out here but Im not sure. I like the fraternity of civilization too much. The vital surge of living towns, people going to and fro, energy and action. Things to do, things happening around me. But its a love hate relationship. Too many cars, too much noise, too many rules, strangers and their strange habits. I guess, like everyone, we are in search of that perfect place. Our eden. This motorcycle trip is a part of that search. To explore the world and see where we fit in. It seems towns either are too big, too expensive and too self important or lifeless, ghosts of their former selves.

The motorcycles are great ways to explore. They break down barriers both between the world we pass through and the people we meet. In a car you are enclosed, the land is scenery outside a window. It passes by silently, without temperature or scent. On a motorcycle we are in the world. The earth passes by inches beneath our feet. We feel the temperature increase as the dirt changes to pavement. We smell the farms, the wind blows us sideways and when we stop people talk to us. They are curious about our dusty little dirt bikes and the mountain of gear. They ask us where we are going, where were from. They understand that we have thrown ourselves out into the world with no protection from the elements, no doors to lock. We are trusting in people and weather to see us through and they return that trust with helpful advice, idle chat and good wishes. I suppose its an allegory for life itself...