ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 03:32 AM   #16
McGoo
Adventurer
 
McGoo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCruise;16094315
Flinders Ranges

[IMG
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx82/kawabungaoz/3-Gen%20Lap%20of%20Oz%202011/3GenOzLap_088.jpg[/IMG]
Assuming these photos are in order, you might find that these are the Porongorups, not the Flinders. Flinders are South Australia.

Great RR, very jealous of your trip!
McGoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:35 AM   #17
SuperCruise OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SuperCruise's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Oddometer: 329
The Mount Kiera lookout overlooking Wollongong.



Seafood lunch at Nowra with our ladies, who drove up from Canberra to meet us in Sydney for the final day's ride.



The turn off back to Canberra at Batemans Bay - the lap is complete!



Back to where we started - my garage in Queanbeyan.



I've got some kays up now on my Super Tenere. I can truly say they were mostly highway miles.



That's it!
__________________
XT1200Z Super Ténéré 2010

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:37 AM   #18
Shaggie
Unseen University
 
Shaggie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,556
great effort!!!!!!!
__________________
Shane

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:37 AM   #19
SuperCruise OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SuperCruise's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGoo View Post
Assuming these photos are in order, you might find that these are the Porongorups, not the Flinders. Flinders are South Australia.

Great RR, very jealous of your trip!
You are correct, they are not the Flinders Ranges. They are in fact the Stirling Ranges, on our way into Albany from Esperance on the scenic route. I'll amend my post. Thanks.
__________________
XT1200Z Super Ténéré 2010

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:17 AM   #20
Stackator
F800GS goodness
 
Stackator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: North Ryde, NSW Australia
Oddometer: 1,343
Awesome ride report.....loved it!

Totally jealous that i am yet to do it too
__________________
Golf courses are Enduro parks waiting to be discovered

Refresher for the Australian forum: http://www.deakin.edu.au/current-stu...outs/apost.php
Stackator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:11 AM   #21
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 4,929
Thanks for the RR mate.

So how much does a new knob cost?

Cheers
Graham
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #22
SuperCruise OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SuperCruise's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Thanks for the RR mate.

So how much does a new knob cost?

Cheers
Graham
I'm hoping to get it swapped under warranty. If not, and it is too much of a rip to buy, I'll just keeping using an adjustable spanner.
__________________
XT1200Z Super Ténéré 2010

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #23
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast
 
MrKiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Lower Hutt, New Zealand
Oddometer: 326
Nice

Thanks. Great trip, one I hope to make in a few years time. More or less exactly the same route as you, only we'll probably do it counter clock-wise.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your average day, riding time/distance and how many days did you not ride in the 57 days for the trip?

Cheers from across the ditch...
__________________
MrKiwi
1987 Suzuki GSX 750 - long gone. 2008 Honda Varadero - got dropped . 2007 Triumph Tiger 955i
MrKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #24
SuperCruise OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SuperCruise's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKiwi View Post
Thanks. Great trip, one I hope to make in a few years time. More or less exactly the same route as you, only we'll probably do it counter clock-wise.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your average day, riding time/distance and how many days did you not ride in the 57 days for the trip?

Cheers from across the ditch...
We had 9 non-riding days, which were either when staying with friends or after 6 days riding so we could catch up on domestics. When subtracted from the total day count, this works out to roughly 440 km per day riding average.

Apart from a 1 hour early evening ride across Brisbane, we only ever rode during the day and mainly between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm in order to mitigate the wildlife risk. We'd stop roughly every 1.5 hours, alternating between a short and a long break for all up about 2 hours worth of stops for a day.

In very remote areas, our average speed was higher and the scenery few and far between so this is where we did 500 - 700 km legs. Conversely, our trip down the populated and speed-restricted East Coast meant that 300 - 400 km days were a good pace.

I have a log of locations we stayed and daily distances that I can post here when I get home if you are so interested.
__________________
XT1200Z Super Ténéré 2010

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #25
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast
 
MrKiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Lower Hutt, New Zealand
Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCruise View Post
We had 9 non-riding days, which were either when staying with friends or after 6 days riding so we could catch up on domestics. When subtracted from the total day count, this works out to roughly 440 km per day riding average.

Apart from a 1 hour early evening ride across Brisbane, we only ever rode during the day and mainly between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm in order to mitigate the wildlife risk. We'd stop roughly every 1.5 hours, alternating between a short and a long break for all up about 2 hours worth of stops for a day.

In very remote areas, our average speed was higher and the scenery few and far between so this is where we did 500 - 700 km legs. Conversely, our trip down the populated and speed-restricted East Coast meant that 300 - 400 km days were a good pace.

I have a log of locations we stayed and daily distances that I can post here when I get home if you are so interested.
Thanks, yes that would be very helpful. Your reply here is also helpful, gives me plenty of info to work with.
__________________
MrKiwi
1987 Suzuki GSX 750 - long gone. 2008 Honda Varadero - got dropped . 2007 Triumph Tiger 955i
MrKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:19 AM   #26
SuperCruise OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SuperCruise's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKiwi View Post
Thanks, yes that would be very helpful. Your reply here is also helpful, gives me plenty of info to work with.
Correction to above, we had 11 days non-riding, bringing the average distance per day up to 462 kms per day.

Here's a screen dump of the schedule we did, updated as I went along but with distances shown as estimated by Google Maps, not actual.



Graphically it looks like this, which makes it clearer to see the East Coast runs (first and last clump) and remote areas (the clumps in the middle).



A bit nerdy I know, but the graph was easy to do and the end result was an enjoyable rate of travel.

Edit: in looking at the data, there are a couple of discrepancies with was planned versus what we did (eg. we ended up staying in Denham, not Overlander Roadhouse and Wycliff Well not Tennant Creek, etc) but it's close enough for the general idea of rate of effort for such a trip.
__________________
XT1200Z Super Ténéré 2010

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style

SuperCruise screwed with this post 06-07-2011 at 01:28 AM
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:32 AM   #27
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast
 
MrKiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Lower Hutt, New Zealand
Oddometer: 326
Thanks.

You're a champion. This is very handy info. Have booked marked this thread.
__________________
MrKiwi
1987 Suzuki GSX 750 - long gone. 2008 Honda Varadero - got dropped . 2007 Triumph Tiger 955i
MrKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:07 AM   #28
Tropical Bird
From the front line
 
Tropical Bird's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Oddometer: 1,004
Brilliant.

__________________
Sound, sound the clarion, fill the fife! To all the sensual world proclaim. One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name.
Tropical Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:08 AM   #29
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCruise View Post
A bit nerdy I know, but the graph was easy to do and the end result was an enjoyable rate of travel.
Call it what you like but it's all great info. Thanks for posting it up.

Cheers
Graham
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:11 AM   #30
RogerJ
Waypoint Wanderer
 
RogerJ's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: On The Road Again/Off The Road Again
Oddometer: 213
Thumb

Great RR SuperCruise.....glad you took the time to do some sipping at Margaret River and of that fine Bundy rum.
__________________
XT1200Z; R1200GS; F700GS; F650
RogerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014