Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #16
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiden View Post
HHAAA Your rock! 2 up on a scoot in the hills is kool. I'm a little big for a scoot but I'd do it for the fun of it. No on ein the riding world cares what you ride. Ride what you brung! Love the RR...
I doubt you are too big for a scooter. There's a lot of big guys out there on scooters. You just need to get a scooter that's big enough. Don't be like this guy:

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #17
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Klaviator: If you don't mind, tell us more about your interest/enjoyment of scooters. I know you are a long time motorcyclist and a very good rider, so it would be interesting to hear your opinions.
That's a long story, but I'll try to keep it brief. I've been riding over 30 years. I started small and got bigger and bigger bikes. At one point I had an FJ1100 and Venture 1200. I replaced the FJ1100 with an EX500 and I started riding a lot faster AND having more fun. That's when I decided that Bigger was not always better and smaller is often more fun. I've been downsizing since.

About 20 years ago my wife and I went on vacation in Hawaii and I rented a Yamaha Riva 125 for a couple of days. I had a blast on it and it planted the scooter bug in me.

My first scooter was a Kymco Super 8 150 that I got about 6 months ago. I wanted something to ride to work and around town, partially to save gas and wear and tear on my truck but mostly because I thought it would be fun. It was more fun to ride around town than any motorcycle I have owned. I've done a couple of ride reports on the Super 8:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647784
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670468

Then more recently, I sold a couple of old bikes and my wife asked if we could get a bike suitable for riding two up. Nothing I had was a good two up bike. We ended up getting the Aprilia. It might seem like that would be too small but I thought it would work for the type of riding we would be doing. In the past I would always rack up lots of miles and go long distances. More recently, partially due to this forum, I decided to go on shorter rides and actually stop to explore or enjoy all the stuff I used to pass up. I would always see stuff and tell myself: "next time I'll stop and check that out" Now I'm actually doing it.

Also, my wife doesn't really enjoy just riding for hours. I got the scooter with the idea in mind that we would do shorter rides and go for quality, not quantity. If we're going on a long trip, the scooter is real easy to load in the back of the truck.

I like the idea of getting something small but there's not many, if any, small motorcycles available in the US suitable, or comfortable for 2 up riding. Scooters tend to have much more comfortable seats and more storage,

As for motorcycles, I still have my KLR650 and XT350 for dual sport riding. I'm not planning on giving that up.

Last, for anyone interested in a scooter, now is the time to buy. There were a bunch of scooters brought in in 2009 when gas prices spiked. Then gas prices dropped and there was a glut of scooters. Some of them are still left. I got my Aprilia from Riders Hill for $3744 OTD. It's a brand new 2009 with a MSRP of $4699. They still have one left! BTW, I'll put in a plug for Riders Hill, it's a great place to do business and they have some great prices.

Oh Yeah, both my scooters get around 75 MPG, more if I take it easy.

klaviator screwed with this post 08-30-2011 at 02:07 PM
Old 08-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #18
njd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
Great post ^
And great rr! Thanks for sharing.
njd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #19
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's been about 10 months since I did this ride report but it was another beautiful day for a ride in the North Georgia Mountains, so I went for a ride. Since the title of the report was perfect already, why start a new one?

It just so happened that I needed to take my Aprilia to get new fork seals (luckily still one month of warrantee left ). So, I drove up to Riders Hill in the morning and decided to ride for the day before dropping off my scooter.

From Riders Hill I went up 60 to 19 and left on 129 over Blood Mountain. It was a great ride but I didn't bother to take any pics until:

At the bottom of Blood mountain I decided to head down Helton Creek Drive. It starts out as a very narrow paved road then becomes a fairly smooth but very twisty gravel road.

No dual sport required here, any street bike can handle it.

Why did I come down here?

Helton Creek falls of course. I parked my scooter, put my riding gear in the tail trunk and headed down to the falls.

It's a short hike down a narrow path.

Here's the lower falls:

And the upper falls:

Old 04-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

After the falls I continued down to the creek crossing.

The water wasn't very deep and I have crossed this creek many times on my dual sport bikes but decided not to risk it on the scooter. This road does go through to the Richard Russell Scenic Highway. So i went back out to 129 then took a left on 180. I had fun on the tight twisties of 180 and blew by a guy in full leathers on a loud, but slow sportbike.
After I got through the tight twisties riders coming the other way gave my the LEO ahead signal so I went into the putt putt mode and enjoyed the great N GA scenery.

I eventualy passed the sheriff near Flatland Rd and then stopped at the Suches Gas station. There were a pretty decent number of bikes there but no where near the crowd that used to be here when TWO was open and this was Dale's gas station. I got a biscuit and juice and had a seat. Flux Capacitor showed up on his KTM so I talked with him a bit. He said the State troopers were hanging out on 60. Since it was a beautiful spring day it was no surprise that there were lots of bikes as well as LEOs out today.

As we were talking an interesting bike rode up. I went to check it out.

I didn't ask him if the rifle was loaded

in case you're wondering, it's a 99 F650. I didn't ask about the story behind it.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #21
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I had planned on riding north on 60 but then I saw the State Patrol head that way so I decided to go back down 180. I cruised along looking for the Sheriff but he had moved down the road a ways. Once past him I went back into the "fun" mode. Then I headed back up Blood Mountain on 129. 129 at Deal's Gap is much more famous but this section of 129 is nearly as fun. Since it is three lane wide in many places it is easier to get around slow traffic. I had I good run most of the way up but eventually got stuck behind a road slug. Rather than waste some perfectly good curves I pulled over and spotted this.

I took a pic and continued up to the store at the top of Blood MTN.

As usual, there was a pretty good crowd in the parking lot.

Motorcycle riders weren't the only ones out "playing" on the roads today.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:02 AM   #22
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
It's always fun trying to keep up with a bunch of larger displacement bikes on a 250cc scooter. They may be having a leisurely ride and you are having to ride like a bat out of hell trying to keep up. But no matter what the size, it's always exciting to run at wide open throttle. Nice RR!
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #23
danh600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Nice pictures and report. I love that area. I have been hiking and backpacking there but haven't gotten up there with my bike yet.
danh600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #24
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastroman View Post
It's always fun trying to keep up with a bunch of larger displacement bikes on a 250cc scooter. They may be having a leisurely ride and you are having to ride like a bat out of hell trying to keep up. But no matter what the size, it's always exciting to run at wide open throttle. Nice RR!
I'm not so sure about that. I think a lot of the sport bike guys are working pretty hard and still not going all that fast. I'm not talking about the guys I rode with last year. See my upcoming post.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #25
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danh600 View Post
Nice pictures and report. I love that area. I have been hiking and backpacking there but haven't gotten up there with my bike yet.
Well what are you waiting for? Until you've been there on your bike, you haven't really been there

Old 04-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #26
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,433
Me and the family checked out Helton Creek falls this past Feb.

One from the top of Blood Mountain as well. Beautiful country up there.

Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:28 PM   #27
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

129 at Blood Mountain reminds me a lot of 129 at Deal's Gap. It's not as twisty as Deal's Gap but it's very popular with the motorcycle as well as car crowd. Even the name is similar: Neels Gap. It even has something resembling the tree of shame. Take a look at this:

The tree of shoes???

I don't know the story behind this but this tree is full of hanging shoes/boots. Perhaps a tree of shame for AT hikers and they hang up their hiking boots in shame if they drop out here?? I'm just guessing. Anyone know the real story behind this tree?

The parking lot here is also a hangout for motorcycle riders. There was a group of sport bike riders hanging out, probably telling lies I always like to l0ok at the tires on bikes to see which bikes have been ridden hard and which are just posers. This one caught my eye:

no chicken strips here.

This is also the first time I can recall seeing a Lamborghini in person.

must be nice to have that kind of money.

Must have the new tech paddle shifter. I'm old school, if I could afford something like this I would get it with a stick shift.

Enough hanging out. Time for some more riding. I headed down the mountain to the south, went down most of the way and turned around and came back up. I think I did this a couple of times, maybe more. I was having fun and I lost track. Although there was a lot of traffic out, I managed to have a good time. Since the road is three lanes much of the time, it's fairly easy to pass all the slow moving traffic. I took a few pics:

A small scooter, probably a 150. He was going pretty slow.

A group of sport bikes headed up the mountain.

the advantage of that extra lane.

So I went down a ways and decided to turn around. Just before turning around a sport bike went by headed up the mountain. I decided to see if i could catch him. Going up the hill my Aprilia maxed out at around 50. This meant I couldn't slow down in the curves If I wanted to have any chance of catching him. I slowly reeled him in. I was catching him on the curves but he would pull away on the straights. I finally caught up to him and had to brake so that i didn't run him over at the end of a curve. Then we were at the top and pulled into the parking lot. So I looked to see what kind of bike I had caught........How about a Ducati 1198. OK, obviously the guy was not a fast rider but I still felt good catching a guy on a bike costing 15-20K and with around 7-8 times my horsepower.

klaviator screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 02:16 PM
Old 04-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #28
AFflyboy
n00b

Oddometer: 3
There's an old saying, "you can't be a pilot AND grown up!" But I think it holds true for motorcycle riders/enthusiasts. Great RR. I'm from GA but haven't had a chance to ride up N GA yet. Looking forward to moving back east and sharing your roads. Cheers!
AFflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #29
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
Me and the family checked out Helton Creek falls this past Feb.

One from the top of Blood Mountain as well. Beautiful country up there.
It is beautiful country. It has changed considerably in the month or so since you came up. Everything is blooming and turning green.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #30
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFflyboy View Post
There's an old saying, "you can't be a pilot AND grown up!" But I think it holds true for motorcycle riders/enthusiasts. Great RR. I'm from GA but haven't had a chance to ride up N GA yet. Looking forward to moving back east and sharing your roads. Cheers!
And I always thought it was the motorcycle riding that kept me from growing up.

There is some great riding here but if you live out west you must have some great riding in the area too. BTW, where are you and what do you fly?