ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2005, 06:41 AM   #1
scorch OP
Poser

Oddometer: 3,352
california in 2 days

who is in? take 4 days, and ride to california and back in 4 days. Who is up for it.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 07:15 AM   #2
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
who is in? take 4 days, and ride to california and back in 4 days. Who is up for it.
Nice! Sound like one of these coast to coast in 50 hours. Do you plan to go for an Iron Butt cert? Iā€™d like to start out this spring and do a Saddle Sore and Butt Burner (1000 miles in under 24 hours / 1500 miles in under 36 hours) as warm ups but prolly won't be able to get away for a 50CC this year. http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/ What route(s) are you thinking?
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 11:39 AM   #3
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,083
Quote:
Why?

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 01:24 PM   #4
storymitchell
Member of the proletariat

Oddometer: 1,238
I once drove from Los Angeles, CA to McLean, VA in roughly 36 hours, so your plan is doable, but I agree with Barry: Why? I would think that four days exploring back roads in West Virginia would be substansially more fun than four days spent droning down interstate highways.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
storymitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 04:28 PM   #5
scorch OP
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry
Why?

Barry
Guys like you would never understand.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:06 PM   #6
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,083
I would be up for this.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 06:58 PM   #7
Barry
Just Beastly

Quote:
And what type of guy do YOU think that might be?

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:32 PM   #8
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Think about it man, 2 days of slab out.. 2 days of slab back. You'd have to start out on new tires in order to even have a chance of making the round trip, only to need another new set as soon as you got back. You won't have time to wipe thoroughly much less enjoy the sights. I can think of a million ways I could have more fun w/ a bike and 4 days to kill.

I'd like to do it someday, but I plan on taking at least a month.
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 10:52 PM   #9
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,228
Quote:
I agree 110% the question WHY is not valid, does not compute, irrelevant! Ask not WHY? ask HOW? WHEN? WHERE? WHO? and other relevant questions. Discuss - two days coast to coast then perhaps 2 weeks return or not to return with detour route to Las Cascadadas de Basachiachi or Kepute, Canada what ever. Fuck the big Y! Why! whiner! IMHOP
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:50 AM   #10
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpy
I'd like to do it someday, but I plan on taking at least a month.

Making that trip in four days is seriously hardcore.

I know that I can't handle that kind of big-boy mile munching, but more power to those who can.

Remember, IBA applicants ... the use of caffeine is discouraged, as is riding when tired.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 02:36 AM   #11
storymitchell

Quote:
And what type of guy do YOU think that might be?
There are guys that pierce their scrotums, attach a chain to the piercing, and then pull trucks around in front of video cameras (hats off to late night programming on the Discovery channel). Wanting to ride 5000+ miles in four days is no odder and is to at least some degree less painful. I'm not Catholic and so don't understand the urge towards self flagation, but that is no reason to nay-say the desire of others in that direction.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:22 AM   #12
Barry
Just Beastly

Oh - I'd defend his right to do it, I also am ready to defend my right to being some "type of guy" that doesn't ever want to do it. "Guys like you" is a wee bit pointed response.

Make sense?

Barry

Old 02-20-2005, 08:09 AM   #13
storymitchell

Quote:
Oh - I'd defend his right to do it, I also am ready to defend my right to being some "type of guy" that doesn't ever want to do it. "Guys like you" is a wee bit pointed response.

Make sense?
Not that your "why" was slightly pointed . That's also not to say that I didn't agree with you and wonder if scorch could articulate what would cause him to want to spend four days on interstates. I've never understood the whole Iron Butt thing.

Old 02-20-2005, 08:10 AM   #14
scorch OP
Poser

Quote:

Make sense?

Barry
Barry, I am totally different type of person/rider than you. You would never understand my reasoning for anything.

Yeah, and I understand i need fresh tires, and they will probably be wasted by the end. And my bike might break down in the middle of nowhere, and i might get killed. But guess what, who cares. Actually, the only people who care are YOU, not me.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:22 AM   #15
MaddBrit
Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer: 23,490
..........anyone actually mad enough to ride east to west coast and back in 4 freakin' days will be most welcome in California. In fact you will fit right in with all the strange folks who live here (in fact they prolly wont let you escape)....

Most of us Californian's take at least a week to ride to Nevada (err...I think...pass me another smoke...).

MaddBrit screwed with this post 02-20-2005 at 09:05 AM
MaddBrit is offline   Reply With Quote