ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2005, 04:02 PM   #16
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
You would never understand my reasoning for anything.
Hey - thanks for the vote of confidence in my being open minded and able to possibly understand what your reasons/interests are, if you were inclined to share, which you appear not to be.

Ride as you with, whith whom you wish, and enjoy.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:01 PM   #17
deerslayR
Spodely Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,028
I could never do it

Doing a 50cc would cause me to miss my mid-afternoon nap.
Mom says I'm "GRUMPY" if I don't get my proper rest.

Did 1100 in 24 hours a few years ago. Not a pretty sight after that.

deerslayR

TCSMC: teamhammer.org

"I'm a choker!" ask me how

"They're ALL dirt bikes.....some work better than others"-----Harley Huey
deerslayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:23 PM   #18
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by jck22903

I know that I can't handle that kind of big-boy mile munching, but more power to those who can.
sure you could with the right bike. With an st1100/ bmw rt type bike with the windshield sending the blast over your head you can go a long time. It is a little creepy though real late at night when struggling to stay awake before getting to the fleabag to crash for a couple hours.
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:49 PM   #19
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock
sure you could with the right bike. With an st1100/ bmw rt type bike with the windshield sending the blast over your head you can go a long time.
(not to hijack this thread or anything ...)

Yeah. I'm thinking about an ST/Connie for my next bike (well, maybe after a DRZ ).

Currently I'm knocking back the miles on the CBR1000F, and there's not enough legroom for back-to-back thousand mile days (er, here comes Daytona ...). But man I do love that bike, and I've gotten so used to the lack of legroom (it's actually better than most any other sportbike) that it feels comfy on a 400 mile day.

Oh yeah ... and I like me some regular sleep ... maybe more than I like to ride.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 06:40 PM   #20
scorch OP
Poser

Oddometer: 3,412
Quote:
(not to hijack this thread or anything ...)

Yeah. I'm thinking about an ST/Connie for my next bike (well, maybe after a DRZ ).

Currently I'm knocking back the miles on the CBR1000F, and there's not enough legroom for back-to-back thousand mile days (er, here comes Daytona ...). But man I do love that bike, and I've gotten so used to the lack of legroom (it's actually better than most any other sportbike) that it feels comfy on a 400 mile day.

Oh yeah ... and I like me some regular sleep ... maybe more than I like to ride.
How about a fjr1300 or a honda blackbird?
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 06:44 PM   #21
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
...I'm thinking about an ST/Connie for my next bike (well, maybe after a DRZ ). ..
Currently I'm knocking back the miles on the CBR1000F..
The hi-jack is on!

What year is your CBR1000F? I always liked those. (IMO, Connie = )

I'm kicking around the idea of another street bike. Based on how I like to ride and what I've read, I SHOULD buy a DL650.. but I can't stop thinking about the new Bonnevilles. Specifically the new T100, orange and white w/ the 900 motor. Fairly non-practical but..
ddlewis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:51 PM   #22
Jack90210
mindful

w00t, Scorch jacked his own thread. Guess anything goes now!

Blackbird = LESS legroom than CBR1000F, less wind protection too (mine's a '93). But it just might be the smoothest I4 on the planet. That is one hell of a motor. Fit and finish is equally high on both bikes. XX is ~50 pounds less.

FJR1300 = Me likey (hella stout motor, good seating position, windshield works well for me, I think it looks good), but not enough to sell all of my bikes to buy one.

Bonneville = you'd like it

Yep. both the Connie and the ST are waaay boring bikes. (Hell yes I'd rather have an FJR. And actually, an 1100 RT might fit the budget.) But boring is good when you're a long ways from your destination and you know you'll have to ride hard through the night to get there. All I need under those circumstances is comfort (ergos, wind protection) and reliability.

The plan is to ride the 1000F until the wheels fall off -- the giggling heard in my helmet this weekend must mean that I still like it.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Old 02-20-2005, 07:56 PM   #23
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
who is in? take 4 days, and ride to california and back in 4 days. Who is up for it.
When?
Old 02-20-2005, 08:18 PM   #24
scorch OP
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BykBoy
When?
Probably in a few weeks. You interested? Probably leave Sat Morning(EARLY).
Old 02-20-2005, 08:33 PM   #25
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Bonneville = you'd like it
...The plan is to ride the 1000F until the wheels fall off -- the giggling heard in my helmet this weekend must mean that I still like it.
You "giggle" in your helmet? I guess that's cool, but you might want to rephrase that as "laugh heartily" or something when you tell it..

Old Jap bikes rock. I bet you can't ride the wheels off that Honda. I have a 91 FJ1200, had it for 5 years during which, I've modded the suspension, replaced wheels & brakes w/ newer R1/6 parts. It handles/stops like a much newer bike. Added Givi bags, heated grips, etc..

My plan also was to ride it till the wheels fall off. Nearly 50k miles now and the wheels are firmly attached.. and I've met FJ guys w/ 3 times my mileage and going strong so I've given up on the ride it into the ground idea. Still really like the bike, just getting bored and thinking about newer rides. Maybe it's the weather, and when spring rolls around it'll pass.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:46 PM   #26
Jack90210
mindful

Ooooops, I forgot. Are we not MEN?

Quote:
The plan is to ride the 1000F until the wheels fall off -- the hearty, gun-totin', beef-eatin, axe-swingin, red-blooded Herculean basso profundo laughter thundering from my helmet this weekend must mean that I still tolerate its meager presence.
Fixified.

Old 02-20-2005, 09:51 PM   #27
ddlewis
squirrel

Quote:
Ooooops, I forgot. Are we not MEN?

Quote:
The plan is to ride the 1000F until the wheels fall off -- the hearty, gun-totin', beef-eatin, axe-swingin, red-blooded basso profundo Herculean laughter heard in my helmet this weekend must mean that I still tolerate its...
Fixified.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:33 AM   #28
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Quote:
Probably in a few weeks. You interested? Probably leave Sat Morning(EARLY).
I may... I did the trip from LA to VA over a weekend in July 2003. I want to do a round trip sometime but I'm not sure mid March is the right time. It can get real cold after 18 hours in the saddle. Your body gets tired and it doesn’t really get a chance to recover. May or even June would probably be better.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:41 AM   #29
scorch OP
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BykBoy
I may... I did the trip from LA to VA over a weekend in July 2003. I want to do a round trip sometime but I'm not sure mid March is the right time. It can get real cold after 18 hours in the saddle. Your body gets tired and it doesn’t really get a chance to recover. May or even June would probably be better.

Awesome, you are my hero!!

When I read reports like this I just want to get a tiger.. How much did you pay for your tiger? And how do you like it now?

It might be a good idea to buy a more comfortable ride than riding my speed triple across the usa. lol

Post more pics of that tiger if you can.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:12 AM   #30
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

[QUOTE=scorch]
How much did you pay for your tiger? And how do you like it now?
QUOTE]

Mid $6K. It was a good deal and gave a chance to have a nice little weekend adventure.

BTW, I'm thinking about riding out to San Jose, CA late April. Probably leave Wednsday or Thursday. I have to be there on Saturday. I'm going to stay in California for a week and then come back to DC.