Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
tex4711 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Honda Elite 250 Question

Hello to all!
New here and new to scooters.
I recently bought a 1985 Honda Elite. 9800 miles....minimal history as far as maintenance. It runs decent; rode about 120 miles over the weekend. Then it started shuddering at around 55mph. ( we all knew something was going to go wrong) :) At first I thought old gas but it seemed to be in the tranny and not the engine. If I drove 54 it would not do it....maybe little tremors but not a shudder. So I parked it and checked it over....which I should have done before!
There was a mouse home under the cover where the coil sits. One wire (yellow and red) was chewed thru. So I fixed that and the temp gauge and took another ride. Same problem.... I got brave and took the cvt cover off. The belt looked ok to me....some dust and plastic pieces, which I assume came from the nest in the air cleaner. The filter was packed with seeds and plastic pieces. The front pulley has some ridges, not totally smooth.
Sooooo.....should I let a trained eye look this over and see if anything is out of order? I know I also need fluids done and the infamous intake gasket..
Thanks
Steve
tex4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
vinsonrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
A little preventative maintainence is usually a lot cheaper in the end. Just my 2 cents?I have the same model and year and it runs like a champ.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,501
Grap a yahoo account if you dont have one and join up with the yahoo ch250 group where you ll find everything you need to know. Also google both ch250 tech tips and ch250 OEM service manaul pdf. There s free copies of the manual online . As to you issues Sound like after years of sitting etc your roller need to be looked or or replaced. 25 bucks . scrapy dog .com or honda . If you going to open up the tranny replace the belt due to age. another 25 bucks for after market one . Also could be air not getting to carb for shit in air cleaner. As to letting someone else work on your bike it's 75 bucks an hour. A simple turn up with oil change will run you 150 bucks plus. http://www.ch250.net/techtips/2.htm
So you should take it off the road for a weekend and do a load of small ship that hasn't been done if ever.

1) Lube up all the cables since your going to be hard pressed to find replacements with out waiting
2) Oil change and tranney change with 80 W gear oil even if you can still 10 w 40 in it
3) Take off the panels and see if there anymore wire issues. Will the middle floor panel is off replace the dumb ass flat blade 40 amp stock fuse with a new wire in fuse . The flat blade OEM is cost 10 bucks and if it goes for any reason you screw at the side of the road. You ll be waiting for a new one for a few days. Once done you can find a replacement you at a gas station .
4) How old are your tires? Anything over 3 years should be replace. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11
5) If you ve got the left hand floor mat please take it off and put it away. Theres no replacement mats left and they sell for 50 bucks used. A few people have come back to there scooters to find it s stolen .
6) Once you ve got your cables off the carb check that the carb boot isn't cracked with age. I believe the cn250 helix one will fit. A badly cracked one will also cause the issues you take about . Clean the carb if you haven't it could have shit in it from the air cleaner . A plugged jet also can cause the same issues
7) New spark plug if you haven't .

Have I missed anything guys?
Hard to find parts are Battery cover , floor mats, Front air in take. Cables .
Once fix you find that flat out 75 Mph is doable but it take a bit of time to get there after hitting 65. 60 MPG .
Video show the almost the same thing as ch250

fullmetalscooter screwed with this post 07-08-2014 at 11:00 PM
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 443
Learn to do your own work. This is a terrific scooter that will reward you with years of transportation with just some care.

You should really make certain your tires are not old and hard and cracking. They might look good from a few feet away, but look close; your life depends on it. I use 120/90-10 Kenda K413 tires from Motorcycle-Superstore. Replace the valve stems with the tires. Old bad tires will make the ride poor and you won't know why. They can also kill you.

Take the time to learn your way around the scooter. You can remove lots of the plastic on the sides and in front of the carburetor pretty easily and still ride. I would do that so you can get to things and clean them.

I use Gates 6012 belts that I get from rockauto.com.
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote