User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2015, 02:08 PM   #1
Tromper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Eek Dr. Pulley Sliders on an MP3 400

My wife has an MP3 400 coming up on it's first big service.
I was thinking of going with Dr. Pulley's since they reportedly kill that shudder it has during part of acceleration, & from what I've seen on misc. forums are a better deal all around including longevity.

A person at a local dealer mentioned that Dr. Pulley sliders have a shorter life due to heat related issues with the MP3 400. The person speaking went on to say that sliders vs., the stock rollers, are more for folks who do their own maintenance due to being more fussy.
Whereas I resemble that, the MP3 400 belongs to my significant other who does not do any of her own work. I can certainly do some, & plan to after this first 6000 maintenance; however I am a fan of simplicity and long service intervals since I prefer riding over tinkering most of the time (The garage is too full to make tinkering easy or fun).

Anybody out there, particularly if you don't do your own maintenance, who can weigh in on this.

Thanks for any input.
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
Eliter85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
I enjoy Dr. pulley sliders. Have them in both my scooters now. Always went with the recommended 10% lighter weights.

Sliders/ Rollers are pretty easy to change. They're also only like $30. I'd say grab some, install them. See how you like them yourself, and then check the condition in like 500km or so.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,937
With no life I ve read hundreds if not thousands of forum threads over the last 10 years. I ve never ever heard one person bitch that DR slinders wore out fast . Your really taking about 10 000 miles plus which runs 2 years or more of usage . Also better response and in some cases better mileage . It's 25 bucks vs 40 bucks so even if it true I feel that it's a non issue. It's a very simple thing to replace .
Old 02-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
Scootrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Last season I ordered some Dr Pulley sliders for my Atlantic 500 before talking to someone at AF1 Racing about other stuff. I'd heard that the rollers coming from Piaggio weren't as good as in the past, so thought I'd try the sliders. The guy at AF1, who worked on scooters a lot said that he wouldn't put them on one of his bikes. He said rollers are round for a reason; once in a great while, a slider can get stuck when it tries to roll instead of sliding and it locks up the variator in a dangerous way. Not having any complaints about the way the stock rollers worked, I got Dr Pulley to exchange the sliders for rollers. I did like the promise of a slightly wider effective gearing range though.
Scootrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,288
I use Dr.Pulley sliders in my Reflexes and swear by them. Never a problem in almost 40,000 total miles.
The set in my '03 Reflex had almost 20,000 miles on them, and weighed within two hundredths of a gram each of brand new.
Love the acceleration and lower cruising rpm.
OEM have round rollers because their engineers didn't think of sliders first!
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:50 PM   #6
Tromper OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Service Interval

About how often are you folks already using Dr. P's cleaning your system up, changing belts etc? Are you doing maintenance on the regular schedule, once every 6000 miles, once a week or?
Tromper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:14 AM   #7
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tromper View Post
About how often are you folks already using Dr. P's cleaning your system up, changing belts etc? Are you doing maintenance on the regular schedule, once every 6000 miles, once a week or?
Reflex has 12,000 mile belt change intervals. That's the only time I service the CVT.
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #8
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 7,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliter85 View Post
I enjoy Dr. pulley sliders. Have them in both my scooters now. Always went with the recommended 10% lighter weights.

Sliders/ Rollers are pretty easy to change. They're also only like $30. I'd say grab some, install them. See how you like them yourself, and then check the condition in like 500km or so.
+1

And they last longer then stock rollers, but not all rollers last the same in all
scoots either.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote