Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #16
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,860
Another "interesting" features is the fuel gauge. It doesn't move at all until it burns about a gallon of gas. Then it goes from full to nearly empty in the next gallon. Tank size is 2.4 gallons. On the plus side, it has two tripmeters. I reset #1 when I fill up and use #2 to track my daily mileage.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #17
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
My husband will be riding our Sports City 250 when we go from Breckenridge, CO to Fallbrook, CA the end of this month. He and my son love the Sports City. I find the seating position too cramped, I feel like I'm on top of the handlebars but then I'm a Vespa GTS or Scarabeo 500 rider by preference.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #18
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
My husband will be riding our Sports City 250 when we go from Breckenridge, CO to Fallbrook, CA the end of this month. He and my son love the Sports City. I find the seating position too cramped, I feel like I'm on top of the handlebars but then I'm a Vespa GTS or Scarabeo 500 rider by preference.
Did you add a windscreen to your Sport City?

Interest about feeling cramped. I'm 6-2 and fit on it fine.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #19
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
Very nice looking scoot. Good review.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:49 PM   #20
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Did you add a windscreen to your Sport City?

Interest about feeling cramped. I'm 6-2 and fit on it fine.
No windscreen, my husband says he doesn't want one though I suspect my son would prefer one since he has one on the Buddy.

For me it is the position over the handlebars that make me feel cramped not the footboard so much. The one time I rode on the back I found it surprisingly comfortable on the back seat especially since I don't really like to ride on the back.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #21
johnyrrr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Klav, i want to thank you as you have me trading in my zuma 125 this week hopefully on a 09 sportcity, I cant wait I appreciate all of your reports on the scoot.
johnyrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #22
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyrrr View Post
Klav, i want to thank you as you have me trading in my zuma 125 this week hopefully on a 09 sportcity, I cant wait .....
Make sure to post some pics and a report on what you think of it. I'm sure you will enjoy it. If you really want to have a blast, bring it south to the Smoky Mountains

Old 06-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #23
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,909

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #24
johnyrrr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Ive ridden the dragon and all the surrounding roads years ago with a friend and a honda superhawk twin. i was supposed to go over memorial day with the wife but things didnt work out. i was ready to take the zuma 125 through there and have a blast. when i get the sportcity i would love to take it canyon carving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Make sure to post some pics and a report on what you think of it. I'm sure you will enjoy it. If you really want to have a blast, bring it south to the Smoky Mountains
johnyrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #25
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

It's been about 7 weeks now since I got the Aprilia. I'm up over 1700 miles and just took it on a weekend trip riding from Huntsville to Southhaven, Ms (just south of Memphis), and back. It was a combination of Highway and 2 lane back roads. Speed limits were generally 50-65 MPH with some 70 MPH Interstate. Total miles were about 240 miles each way. When I drive this way it is 200 miles each way but I decided to take a slightly longer but more scenic and interesting route.

The scooter did great. I was more comfortable than I would have been on any of my other bikes and still got over 70 MPG despite running at fairly high speeds most of the time.

Here's a pic on the Natchez Trace Parkway:

Note the bag on the back of the seat. Although I could have easily fit all my stuff into the Givi tail trunk, I prefer to keep that mostly empty so I can put my Helmet and jacket in there when I stop.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:09 AM   #26
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Nice review and nice scooter. What is the maximum sustained cruising speed (not the top speed) on this bike? I am talking about the speed where the bike, its suspension, its motor and you are all comfortable, nothing straining.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #27
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy View Post
Nice review and nice scooter. What is the maximum sustained cruising speed (not the top speed) on this bike? I am talking about the speed where the bike, its suspension, its motor and you are all comfortable, nothing straining.
It doesn't ever feel like it is straining, even at an indicated 90MPH. The motor is as smooth as glass except at very low RPM when I can feel it thumping along. Since it has no windscreen and an upright seating position, I do have to hang on some at high speed. For me, a good comfortable cruising speed seems to be about 65-80 mph on the speedo. I'm guessing the speedo reads about 10% high. I usuelly tried to keep it below 75 on the highway but it would creep right up to 80 if I wasn't paying attention. On 55 MPH 2 lane backroads, 65 felt about right but again, it was easy to go faster than that.

As for the suspension, it's a little too soft for me. On bumpy high speed sweepers the scooter feels a little loose but not enough to make me slow down.

Overall I was surprised at how well it worked on this trip. If I had the time and money I wouldn't hesitate to to take it on a several week long trip and go anywhere in the country.

klaviator screwed with this post 06-28-2011 at 09:18 AM
Old 07-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #28
neuroslicer
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I've put about 6000 miles on my 2009 Sportcity 250 since I got it in Nov. of 2009... would have been a lot more except that I ride a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom quite a bit too. Some scooter buds and I drove from Memphis to NOLA and back along I-55; about 450 miles one way. Our cruising speed down was about 75, on the way back it was about 73. This was a comfortable riding speed, and lots of fun. Made the trip in about 8 hours including stops. At one time while passing my peak speed was 82 (the earlier post might have been referring to me!), which was a bit disconcerting especially when passing a bit 18 wheeler! I've got a Puig windshield on the front, which makes all the difference in the world in terms of wind resistance. I've also bobbed that godawful huge rear fender to make it more sexy, and converted front and rear turn signals to the Euro style. It's a sweet ride I must say. I get between 74 and 78 miles per gallon. I've had 4 scoots in the last 5 years and the Sportcity 250 is by far my favorite.
neuroslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #29
hacksaw55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Thanks for the review I've looked at the Aprillia's but I think I like the floorboards with the option of moving your foot to the angled section.Still trying to figure out highway pegs?Also trying to find something I feel good standing on just for arse relief.I like the idea of the gas mileage that's why I'm trying to stay 300cc and under but still want to do trip's,still looking.
hacksaw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #30
FoldArt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksaw55 View Post
Thanks for the review I've looked at the Aprillia's but I think I like the floorboards with the option of moving your foot to the angled section.Still trying to figure out highway pegs?Also trying to find something I feel good standing on just for arse relief.I like the idea of the gas mileage that's why I'm trying to stay 300cc and under but still want to do trip's,still looking.

I do not have a SportCity, but I do have a Vespa GTS 250, which uses the same motor and transmission. It is a wonderfully smooth ride. The best I have seen is 85 indicated (which would be 77/78 gps), but more typical is 80 indicated (72 gps) with a mid-size windshield that has hand protection (it's wide). My best top speeds are with a cut-down windshield (tall and narrow).

The reason I am replying here is to add a comment regarding the foot forward position. In addition to the Vespa, I also have a Silverwing, so I am familiar with both styles. I have taken dozens of all-day trips on the Silverwing, and five all-dayers on the Vespa. For the most part, the Vespa is just as comfortable, even with no foot-forward position. The feature that I miss the most on the Vespa is the backrest that I put on the Silverwing. What I love about the Vespa seating/foot position is the height of the seat (I'm 6' tall, 32" inseam). The seat height allows my weight to be borne by the backs of my legs as much as my tail, so tail doesn't get very tired. The Silverwing makes me sit with my knees higher than my hips (feet flat or forward), which places a lot of weight on my sit-bones. That is what makes me fidgetty. If you are really tall, it's annoying. If you are shorter (probably with inseam of 30" or less), you could probably stretch your legs out more.

BTW, I have done the buttstop to backrest conversion on the Silverwing, giving me maximum legroom. Both scooters have an AirHawk cushion, which is a terrific help.

My advice is to be careful about the foot forward position. If you end up feeling like you are in a gynecologist's chair, long rides will be painful. Most of the scooters with a stepped seat for the pillion limit movement in your seating position.

Good luck on your search.
FoldArt is offline   Reply With Quote