Old 08-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #91
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
I have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-2257-12V...12v+impact+gun

It's a 12V impact gun. I got it for my GY6 Chinese scoot, as they are known to break belts without warning, and it's the only way to replace the belt on the road. I did try it for maintenance jobs and it works fine, it's perfectly adequate to remove and tighten those nuts. I'd avoid anything battery powered that won't be used often, I don't feel like buying new battery packs every time the darn thing is needed.
My Kymco has a GY6 engine but I had no trouble getting the variator nut off without an impact wrench. The torque on that nut is only around 35 ft-lbs.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #92
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb126 View Post
Great post on the maintenance klaviator. I like it when people post this stuff, not as pretty as your ride report but very useful.

Been looking at scooters really hard. Probably going to end up with one before a dual sport, partly due to your RR . Looking at the new pcx150, a Kymco super 8 150 (new) and several used models. Found a used People S 250 for a reasonable price. May even settle for an agility 125 but I think I prefer a big wheel scooter.
Some things to consider for getting a scooter. I love my Super 8 but it's a little to slow for high speed traffic. The PCX seems to have a great motor with much better preformance than the Super 8, but it seems to have more of a maxi scooter riding position. This may or may not suit you. Also the PCX has linked brakes which aren't the best thing if you want to go exploring off the pavement like I do.

My Aprilia dealer still has a new Sport City for $3495 and a Scarabeo 200 for $2995. Both are big wheel scooters.

Good luck finding something that will work for you.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #93
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Since my pic and explanation of the clutch tool I used to hold the variator was not very good, I went out and took another pic.

I taped some padding on it to prevent scratching the vanes. It is adjustable and can be position so it holds the two different vanes at their base.

Here's the tool i used on the variator of my Super 8. It didn't work on the Aprilia.

I took the Aprilia out on a ride to check everything out. Everything worked fine and it seemed to accelerate better but that may just be perception due to the fact that I have been riding my smaller Kymco.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #94
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

For those of you have been following this Sport City servicing report, I'd like to add a few things. Yes, I did mention that this was a real PITA, but, keep a few things in mind.

First, I am not an expert mechanic. This was the most complicated motorcycle/scooter maintenance I have done.

Second, I had only limited information to go by. The service manual was semi useless.

I did not have all the proper tools when I started.

If I do this again, it will go much smoother the second time.

If I were a real mechanic, this would have gone much smoother.

I hope that all this information will make it easier for someone else who decides to do this. I know I could have done a better job with this writeup but feel free to ask me any questions and I'll be glad to try to answer them.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:04 AM   #95
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Second, I had only limited information to go by. The service manual was semi useless.
As most are, that's why forums are such a valuable source of information for DIY people!

Quote:
I did not have all the proper tools when I started.
Isn't it amazing the ammount of tools that you collect when you start doing all your maitenance? I couldn't believe yesterday that my 6 drawer Craftsman tool chest is almost full!
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #96
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,859
Put a down payment on a Sport City. These maintenance threads will be very useful.

Keep them coming Klav!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #97
lechib
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:

Valve adjustment done, it was time to check the belt. It looked good with a slight amount of wear. The new belt measured 21mm and the old one was 20-20.5 mm. Since it was such a hassle to remove the CVT cover I decided to go ahead and replace it although I'm sure this one would last at leat a few thousand more miles.

This is a dumb question. How do you measrue your belt? You use micrometer or caliper to measure the width of the belt or the outer to the inner (the bottom of the teeths) of the belt? (OD to ID)
lechib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:14 PM   #98
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lechib View Post
This is a dumb question. How do you measrue your belt? You use micrometer or caliper to measure the width of the belt or the outer to the inner (the bottom of the teeths) of the belt? (OD to ID)
This would only be a dumb question if you didn't ask it and then measured it wrong. I measured the width. I did not look up the specs for the belt, just compared the old on to the new one.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #99
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I went for a nice ride today on my KLR and stopped by the Aprilia dealer. I brought my old belt, rollers and sliding blocks with me and showed them to the tech there. He did point out some wear and deterioration on all of them. It was nothing serious but based on what he said, I'd say that 12,500 miles is probably a pretty good interval for replacing all those things. I'm pretty confident that nothing would fail if you went an few thousand over but I plan on doing this service roughly every 12,500 miles just to play it safe. The other thing I will be doing is checking the Air filter more often since it had failed.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #100
Dabears
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
Quote:
I went for a nice ride today on my KLR and stopped by the Aprilia dealer. I brought my old belt, rollers and sliding blocks with me and showed them to the tech there. He did point out some wear and deterioration on all of them. It was nothing serious but based on what he said, I'd say that 12,500 miles is probably a pretty good interval for replacing all those things. I'm pretty confident that nothing would fail if you went an few thousand over but I plan on doing this service roughly every 12,500 miles just to play it safe. The other thing I will be doing is checking the Air filter more often since it had failed.
Did the Aprilia dealer still have 2009 Sportcity's on sale? I went to the Kymco dealer in Marietta today and I think I saw 1 Kymco, a People 150. Sat on a PCX150, but prefer the step through type...

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #101
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
My Kymco has a GY6 engine but I had no trouble getting the variator nut off without an impact wrench. The torque on that nut is only around 35 ft-lbs.
yeah you can strip the splines on your crank pretty handy when you're blasting the variator nut back on with an impact wrench like most people do! id use one for removing it though.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #102
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
yeah you can strip the splines on your crank pretty handy when you're blasting the variator nut back on with an impact wrench like most people do! id use one for removing it though.
I'd never use an impact wrench to put something back on.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #103
sthoerner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Klaviator -
The motion pro tool you mentioned - can you clear up how you lock the CVT in place? Do you grab both sides of a single fin of the CVT or do you span across multiple fins and lock it in? I'm having trouble picturing how that tool can grab - but not break a fin when you apply a lot of pressure.
Thanks - good write up...
Steve in KY
sthoerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 AM   #104
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoerner View Post
Klaviator -
The motion pro tool you mentioned - can you clear up how you lock the CVT in place? Do you grab both sides of a single fin of the CVT or do you span across multiple fins and lock it in? I'm having trouble picturing how that tool can grab - but not break a fin when you apply a lot of pressure.
Thanks - good write up...
Steve in KY
I spread it so it holds two fins on opposite side of the variator. I make sure it's held firmly against the base of the fins so it hold the fins at the base and not the tips. The safe thing to do would be to buy the special tool from Aprilia, however It's around $35+ and probably can't be used for anything else. I recently used the motion pro tool on my Kymco which has much more flimsy stator vanes and it worked just fine.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #105
sthoerner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Thanks for the update. I'll be doing my Aprilia Scarabeo at some point.....
Steve in KY
sthoerner is offline   Reply With Quote