Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #121
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,005
Sorry, not a tall screen, but I had a Puig City Touring fitted to my Sportcity and it was excellent.
No stability issues whatsoever, gained a bit of fuel economy and also top speed, but the thing I noticed most was very little buffeting. This screen is the one I used, it appears to have a good aero shape.....
http://www.puigusa.com/tuning-bikes/.../f1-r26-m3308/
.......may be worth considering.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #122
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,706
It's to bad you cannot buy those scooters around here. There is like one Aprilia dealer in the whole state, and they have a couple of filthy, scratched up '09s they want $3999+ fees for. Looks like a better deal than the SYM HD200, which is actually only 170cc. I like the top speed, definitely freeway capable anywhere in the southwest.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:12 AM   #123
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
I've started looking at the Sportcity 250... There still are some brand new 2009 at a discount.
I've read this thread and I am looking for more input in terms of comfort and wind protection. Anyone has put a tall screen on it? If so how much does it affect the handling?
Wind protection on a stock SC is more or less like on a naked to supersport
bike. You get blasted around the tits level and up. Big windscreens on the
handlebars will make things worse no doubt.

I'd try it without anything first, if you can live with that (clean air FTW), you're
set to go. Comfort? It's a stiff/sporty ride, but seemed comfier then a BV
(Beverly) to me. Short scoot + sporty scoot = no comfort, but 15" wheels
help A LOT.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:31 AM   #124
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Wind protection on a stock SC is more or less like on a naked to supersport
bike. You get blasted around the tits level and up. Big windscreens on the
handlebars will make things worse no doubt.

I'd try it without anything first, if you can live with that (clean air FTW), you're
set to go. Comfort? It's a stiff/sporty ride, but seemed comfier then a BV
(Beverly) to me. Short scoot + sporty scoot = no comfort, but 15" wheels
help A LOT.
When I got my Sport City I was planning on putting a Puig windscreen on it but decided I didn't want to chance having turbulence right at my helmet. I now have over 14,000 miles on it and don't miss having a wind screen. I always wear a full face helmet and motorcycle jacket which provide good wind protection. In the hotter months not having a windscreen allows more cooling air and makes the scooter more comfortable. If you want to wear a half helmet and T shirt, then a large screen makes sense. If you wear real riding gear, you may find you don't need it.

As for short scoot = sporty scoot = no comfort, I disagree. My sport city is one of the most comfortable bikes I have owned and I wouldn't hesitate to ride it across the country.

As for the BV250, I thought the wind protection was excellent, much better than the T max I test rode an hour before riding the BV. I ended up buying the Sport City over the BV250 because it cost considerably less.

klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #125
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
As for short scoot = sporty scoot = no comfort, I disagree. My sport city is one of the most comfortable bikes I have owned and I wouldn't hesitate to ride it across the country.
I mean relative to it's price range / class / category.

Try an older Burgman 250 or something similar, maybe a Piaggio X8 250.
The SportCity is the least comfortable, but the most sporty of them all.

Short wheelbase will always be less comfortable then a longer wheelbase
just like bigger wheel = more comfort vs smaller ones.

What some people wouldn't expect is that the SC250 is just as comfortable
as my DT300, and for example, People 300 is more comfortable then all of
them by a big margin.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #126
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Here is my puig screen on the SC. As for comfort of the scoot, I find it quite comfortable, I'm 6'1 and 190lbs. The windscreen does put the wind right at my helmet, full face, and it is very loud. On the flip side, it is very calm behind the screen even at higher speeds. I am going to ride some more this summer without it and see if I prefer getting blasted in the chest or dealing with the noise of having the screen. I do wear earplugs and they help.
GH
GREY.HOUND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #127
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
Here is my puig screen on the SC. As for comfort of the scoot, I find it quite comfortable, I'm 6'1 and 190lbs. The windscreen does put the wind right at my helmet, full face, and it is very loud. On the flip side, it is very calm behind the screen even at higher speeds. I am going to ride some more this summer without it and see if I prefer getting blasted in the chest or dealing with the noise of having the screen. I do wear earplugs and they help.
GH
Thanks for the info. I'm 6-2 and 180 so pretty close to your size. I would probably get the same turbulence at my helmet.

I do like the way the Puig looks on the bike

One thing you could consider is using the screen during the colder months and taking it off during the hotter months.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #128
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
I got back not quite 2 weeks ago from picking up our Sports City from Fallbrook, CA and rode it back to Houston in 4 days with a slight detour to ride through Prescott, Sedona and Oak Canyon up to Flagstaff.

The Puig windscreen shown in earlier photos in this thread was installed before I left. Note, after having ridden with my husband out to California and listened to the noise at speeds over 70mph through the Scala headset nothing would have gotten me to ride that scoot 1708 miles without adding a windshield.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Sports City did on the journey. I knew it would handle well in the twisties (State 74 in California, the Arizona mountains referenced above) but the windshield made a definite difference for the 130 miles or so I did on I-40 and the state highways with 70-75 mph limits in New Mexico and Texas. I discovered that the rev limiter kicks in around 90-92 indicated (real by gps about 4 mph slower) and cross winds at elevation can drop it WOT to 70ish.

My brother who installed the windshield is 6'1" and I (5'7") both decided we'd have preferred the windshield to be about 2" taller since it does get noisy above 70 but it is still less noisy than what I was hearing through the Scala when my husband rode it without any windshield.

It will never be my favorite scoot because there isn't enough room to move my feet around so it does fell a little cramped to me but the sports bike comparison is right on. I'd also like to be able to move back further on the seat but the stepped seat prevents that. Both my husband and son love the SC while I vastly prefer my Vespa GTS or Scarabeo 500.

None of us like the Burgman or other maxi style so even had the Burgman or X? 250s been available in the US we wouldn't own one. The only scoot we've owned I ever regretted buying was a Burgman 400. They are good scoots but don't "fit" anyone in my family.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #129
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 663
the puig windscreen is great. the sportcity 250 is a great all-rounder for errands or for longer trips, and it's by far and away the best handling scoot i've ridden. i kinda agree with cdwise that it's a little cramped on really long hauls, but for weight/peformance and general handling i think it's tops. i've ridden a honda sh150i, which handles similarly but lacks the juice. the sportcity is supernimble and you can throttle out of curves like a little blue rocket.

i also have an aprilia mana 850 gt and ride my brother's ninja 300 on the reg, and yeah, the sportcity 250 has a bit of a sportbike feel in comparison to them -- you can really lean through curves on those 15" tires (in fact, mine has less chicken strips than my mana, lol :-( ), and has a really nice weight distribution overall. if i didn't prefer the mana for freeway riding, i'd definitely use it on longer trips.
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #130
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

The Sport City really does it all. I can't think of ANY 250cc motorcycles available in the US that compares in overall performance.

It makes a good touring bike.

It's reasonably comfortable two up.

It handles dirt roads just fine.

And or course, it makes a pretty good sportbike

It's also a great looking scooter.

klaviator screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 03:42 PM
Old 03-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #131
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
That's what I had on my SC too. Thgey work very well, but for me could indeed be an inch or two taller.
Rather than adjust it up for height (which then left my hands at the mercy of the cold night-time air.........brrrrrr!) which will fix it for me (I'm 6ft1), I added a laminar lip I made up, then had the best of both worlds.

The Sportcity really is the pick for an all-round do-anything scoot.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #132
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,135
Can you still find these new? Liking the looks.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #133
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

This is where I got mine, they still have the silver one in stock apparently. They had 1 blue, 1 silver when I bought mine in November.

http://www.wilsonsmc.com/Default.asp
Old 04-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #134
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,135
This is an injected model? The 09.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #135
GREY.HOUND
Gnarly Adventurer

Yep, fuel injected, double discs up front but no ABS.

I'm sure you've already found this, the official site.
http://www.apriliausa.com/en-US/Mode.../Overview.aspx

Here is the Aprilia forum for the SC250

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/f...io-150cc-350cc

Parts are also readily available from them too

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...dCategory=1111