ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Pics, pics, pics...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #46
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,884
Traveling out to the homeplace last week, a big, dark gray, nasty-looking rain cloud was dumping its load on the side of Mt Sanford and, with the sun behind me, there came with it a nice rainbow segment across the Copper River

Riding to Anchorage yesterday one particular scene really caught my eye. It was a clearing in the clouds draping the Chugach Mt range that revealed the upper end of a particularly scenic valley - the South Fork of the Matanuska. It would have entailed pulling off the road for maybe fifteen minutes, setting the camera up on a tripod, and taking multiple shots to try for the best. But being in a bit of a hurry after leaving two hours late, and realizing that no matter how hard I tried it would be possible to capture only a fraction of the scene, I motored on. That brought to mind the countless times I have passed on by shots that, in themselves would have provided visual delight, but where it was beyond the capability of a two-dimension format to capture the magnificence that was before my eyes. What I'm trying to say, in my own stumbling way, is that any collection of photos, as good as they might be, cannot begin to convey what your own eyes will reveal to you when you see it.

There have been thousands of times in my travels up and down the Alcan and Cassiar Highways, and all over the state of Alaska, that I have looked at a scene and not even bothered to pull out a camera, knowing that what would appear on film (or these days, on the screen) would be so far from what was before me that to attempt to capture it would have been futile. How do you capture the sound, the looks, and the feel of riding down the Alcan south of Watson Lake at night, lightning striking the high mountain peaks on both sides of you and for just an instant illuminating the highway ahead of you as though it were broad daylight, then plunging you into the dark until the next bolt repeats the action. I wouldn't have pulled off and sought shelter, missing that experience, for anything.

Or watching the sun come up, its rays revealing valleys, ravines, and draws that had never been visible, despite viewing the same spot hundreds of times before. Seeing a weeks-old moose calf with its mother. Counting nearly a hundred black bears alongside the highway in a day and a half of riding. Spotting a rare Kermode bear next to the highway, but being unable to grab a camera quickly enough to get a photo.

A camera, and the photos that can result from its usage, may give a hint of what there is to see in the north country, but to truly see it, one must travel through it and embrace the experience. The memory will then provide a better record of the experience than any group of images, regardless how well composed.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #47
Glacier Pilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
The Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau.. looks like it was taken from the Douglas Island boat launch.
Glacier Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:58 AM   #48
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Pilot View Post
The Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau.. looks like it was taken from the Douglas Island boat launch.
Ah-hah! Another Alaskan posting. Welcome to the forum.

Are you flying in and around Glacier Bay full time? If so, you undoubtedly have some great photos. Do you live in Juneau or Douglas, Gustavus, or elsewhere? Regardless, nice to see another one from the Great Land. Join us on the Alaska forum in the Regionals. We don't mind that you're a ferry trip away from the mainland. Heck, we even allow the Kodiak contingent to associate with us.
Haul Road Primer
Old 09-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #49
Glacier Pilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Ah-hah! Another Alaskan posting. Welcome to the forum.

Are you flying in and around Glacier Bay full time? If so, you undoubtedly have some great photos. Do you live in Juneau or Douglas, Gustavus, or elsewhere? Regardless, nice to see another one from the Great Land. Join us on the Alaska forum in the Regionals. We don't mind that you're a ferry trip away from the mainland. Heck, we even allow the Kodiak contingent to associate with us.

Thanks for the welcome,

Yep I've have been flying SE AK for the last 10 years.. Living in Gustavus right now.. so technically I am on the main land. I've got lots of photo's just need to upload them now... got a few ready to go. Oh.. easy on those Kodiak guys.. that's where I am from originally .

On the beach at Gustavus.

The XT at Bartlett Cove in Glacier Bay National Park, the Fairweather Range in the background.

On the Beach at Cenotaph Island in Lituya Bay. Not usually ice in the bay but there was a glacier dam burst going on.

Across Lynn Canal from Haines on the Katzihein River tracking bears with ADFG.
Glacier Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #50
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,555
Well, what a lovely thread! I'd not seen it till now.

Hmmm, where to begin? Okay, how bout an area not oft visited by many these days tho I'm sure Alcan Rider flew in and out of here "back in the day." Sumthin' a little different.

I'm talkin' bout the huge runway on Annette Island located on the southernmost tip of Alaska's Panhandle. How huge? About 7,500' (2284m) long and 150' (46m) wide! It was used extensively between the 1940's thru the '70's before the Ketchikan Airport was built. As one might image, that pavement's gotta be pretty darned thick and it's still in great shape today. Sounds like a good place to do some top end runs, eh?!?

Southeast Alaska is a very beautiful area and I'm very glad I have relatives there.
This shot has Mt. Tamgas in the background on the right and Tamgas Harbor in the fore.

How bout an offshore shot of the area? With crystal clear water (no glaciers nearby) and with summer air temps hitting the 80's makes this my favorite place to ocean kayak in all of Alaska. Behind me is the Tsimshian Indian community of Metlakatla where I have many relatives. Annette Island is the only Indian Reserve in Alaska. And oh yeah, that newly cut roadway seen along the hillside is a very twisty undulating 14mi stretch that should be completely paved by the time I return next year.

FYI, for those interested in more pics and tales by AK locals, we are most fortunate to have a place at the top of the 'Alaska' section of the 'Regional Forums' on here to stickie our Ride Reports. My sig line is also a link to mine. Hope to see more of you come on up. Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 09-06-2011 at 02:00 AM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #51
roco22
Ready on the right....

Oddometer: 201
Adak...

Adak approach...

Old 09-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #52
Solito24
Forward is str8 ahead

Oddometer: 24
Go for it

Alaska will make your soul jump for joy.....it's got gr8 people,sights,food,adventure and a shit load of awesomeness!!

Solito24 screwed with this post 09-17-2013 at 04:55 PM
Solito24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #53
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Oddometer: 2,309
great food along the Dalton!

(and it was almost 80 when we stopped!)

Great riding along the Dalton!

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
2011 Calif Dreaming , 2013 Mexico
rgiroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #54
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiroux View Post
Great riding along the Dalton!

And here's an overview of that spot taken last Monday
Haul Road Primer
Old 09-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #55
rgiroux
Invisible Man

maybe we went thru too early

or, reason to do it again!

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
Old 09-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #56
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Late in the season makes snow over Atigun Pass more likely, but the brilliant colors reward the adventurous.
Haul Road Primer
Old 09-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #57
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 906
Hyder This summer

Fish creek
http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/ind...?topic=1417.45
Attached Images

eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #58
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Fish Creek
Attached Images

eemsreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #59
rgiroux
Invisible Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Late in the season makes snow over Atigun Pass more likely, but the brilliant colors reward the adventurous.

wow! just wow!!

2009 Alaska , 2010 Moab
Old 09-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #60
eemsreno
Studly Adventurer

Hatcher Pass

Hatcher Pass 2011
http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/ind...?topic=1417.45
Attached Images