User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
Otis357 OP
Dirty Hippie

Oddometer: 413
Fuel leak at Pingel petcock

I had a Pingel on my IMS tank for my DR, and it was always leaking... just a couple drop here and there. Last year after a long ride it started to get worse, so I took it off over the winter and sent it in to have the seals replaced.

The good folks at Pingel called me and said it was not seals, but a crack in the housing that was causing the fuel to drip. They were good enough to send me a new one free of charge (pretty good considering the original was about 3 years old) and I installed it. It started leaking like crazy but this time it appeared to be coming from the threads - where the petcock fits into the mounting bracket. Drained the tank again and took it off. Pulled out the petcock, and there doesn't appear to be any sealer or tape on the threads at all.

My original petcock was old, and they didnt have to send me a new one... While Im not one to look a gift horse in the mouth and appreciate the service, Im not all that comfortable with the replacement they sent. It seems to be the same model, but the valve arm is loose and moves in and out. The action is not smooth, and if I pull the arm out a little, and move it all the way to the ON position if actually over rotates a bit and stops the fuel flow. Slightly worried that if I adjust or stand my leg could accidentally nudge the arm a bit and shut off the fuel at speed. Its a long shot, but could happen.......

Deciding if I want to talk to Pingel and haggle for a replacement, buy a new one outright or just switch to the Raptor for 1/3 of the price.

Couple questions:

1. Can I use teflon tape on these threads? Given the design, there is no risk of tape making it into the fuel lines. Or is there a better sealant to use?

2. If I go with the Raptor, are the bolt holes on the mounting bracket the same as the Pingel?

Thx.... Otis
Otis357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
lnewqban
Ninjetter

Oddometer: 290
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis357 View Post
..........1. Can I use teflon tape on these threads? Given the design, there is no risk of tape making it into the fuel lines. Or is there a better sealant to use?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368468
lnewqban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
remow2112
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Thread sealant

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80019.../dp/B000HBM3QQ

Great stuff use it on head bolts for racing engines and sometimes are Holley fuel lines when they just won't seal.

Dan...
remow2112 is offline   Reply With Quote