User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #16
oxygenrace
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 68
aluminum Pannier weight capacity

Just wondering what the aluminum pannier weight capacity will be. I noticed on GIVI's site that even the trekker cases have a 22lb limit? The E21 have an 11lb limit? By the sounds of things the racks can handle quite a bit. The r90/6 is rated to carry at least 100lb on top of the rider.

p.s. really exited about this thread. I lost one of my krauser bags in upper new york state on a trip. lost a mesh riding jacket and birkenstocks as well. I really want a bag that i don't have to keep worrying it has fallen off.
oxygenrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #17
Carl OP

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxygenrace View Post
Just wondering what the aluminum pannier weight capacity will be. I noticed on GIVI's site that even the trekker cases have a 22lb limit? The E21 have an 11lb limit? By the sounds of things the racks can handle quite a bit. The r90/6 is rated to carry at least 100lb on top of the rider.

p.s. really exited about this thread. I lost one of my krauser bags in upper new york state on a trip. lost a mesh riding jacket and birkenstocks as well. I really want a bag that i don't have to keep worrying it has fallen off.
I haven't yet decided whether or not to spec out a weight capacity for the mounts, attachment hardware, panniers, or the complete system. First, it will not be adhered to when using the system. It may be used as a reference, but history has shown that riders have overloaded the subframes on these bikes bike hanging monstrous loads off of it. Second, with reference to the mounts there are riders that use various cases and attachment hardware that is unique to their machine. It would be futile to attempt to cover every variation and its 'limit'.

The Version II mount system for the 70-84 twins is designed to be robust and very strong. It is for those riders that want service and trust out of their panniers system, as is also w/ the Version I system.

Be assured, there is definitely no comparison between a Krauser system and mine. With all due respect to Mr. Krauser, his luggage has its merits but is not made to be as robust as per what I offer for these machines.

The pic below shows the usage of a similar system I designed for the 55-69 twins. It was taken during a cross-country trip in 2010 using Givi E360's. Each case tipped the scales in the ~30lb range, I've used them numerous times in that setting w/out any issues. Givi can be conservative in their case weight capacity limits.

Thanks,
Carl

Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #18
oxygenrace
Motorcyclist

Wicked Aluminum Pannier Update?

Carl, any new info on the aluminum cases - are you into production yet? If not what is your ETA?
Old 12-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #19
Carl OP

Quote:
Carl, any new info on the aluminum cases - are you into production yet? If not what is your ETA?
They are in production and will be ready to ship in January. I'll be updating my website and this thread shortly.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Carl

Old 12-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #20
Carl OP

three more...

Three more products have been added to the pannier mounts system.

The first is a short wheel base (SWB) specific pannier mount set. These mounts are specific for the early short wheel base early years twins. They are a direct bolt-on system that will accept Givi Monokey pannies or other types of custom cases. They are built on a BMW SWB chassis for excellent fitment when mounting. The cost is $250 plus shipping.

The second new product is a harwdare mounting kit. It consists of upper & lower alumunim machined mounting blocks and associated hardware. The hardware allows the rider to attach panniers quickly and easily to the mounts. The cost is $60/kit plus shipping, which is enough hardware to mount a pair of panniers.

The third item is a pair of aluminum panniers. Some of the features are:
  • 32 liter size per pannier.
  • Approximate size 18"L x 8"W x 14"H (45cmL x 20cmW x 35H)
  • Aluminum sheet construction.
  • TIG welded seams.
  • Robust .125" (3.175mm) thickness mounting surface panel
  • Stainless steel hinged lids
  • Tethered lids.
  • Two stainless steel lift handles/tie-down loops per pannier.
  • Keyed alike locks on each pannier.
  • Robust wide design lid seal
All of the above products are made in-house, except for the panniers. They were designed and spec'd in collaboration with a reputable pannier supplier. The build quality is outstanding. They will be ready to ship in January. The cost is $495/pair plus shipping.

Please e-mail for additional info or go here

Thanks,
Carl

SWB mounts:

Mounting hardware kits:

Pannier set:

Carl screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 11:53 AM
Old 01-01-2012, 03:37 PM   #21
oxygenrace
Motorcyclist

Aluminum Pannier Questions

Carl, the panniers look great. I have a few questions.

Is the gauge of the aluminum Robust .125" (3.175mm) thickness on all sides or just the mounting surface?

Can you explain how the puck mounting hardware works? Do I need to have a wrench to remove the panniers?

Do you have any photos of the aluminum panniers mounted from the back and front to get an idea of bike width and look?

Close up shots of the welds?

What is the width of the lip for the lid seal? Trying to figure out what the actual maximum width of the case is?

Is the tether connected with stainless hardware?

Cost to buy a complete system: heavy duty rack ($250?), puck system ($60), and panniers ($495)?
Old 01-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #22
Carl OP

Quote:
Carl, the panniers look great. I have a few questions.

Is the gauge of the aluminum Robust .125" (3.175mm) thickness on all sides or just the mounting surface?

Can you explain how the puck mounting hardware works? Do I need to have a wrench to remove the panniers?

Do you have any photos of the aluminum panniers mounted from the back and front to get an idea of bike width and look?

Close up shots of the welds?

What is the width of the lip for the lid seal? Trying to figure out what the actual maximum width of the case is?

Is the tether connected with stainless hardware?

Cost to buy a complete system: heavy duty rack ($250?), puck system ($60), and panniers ($495)?
The inner/inboard/mounting panel or side is .125" (3.175mm) thickness material. All other panels are .080" (2.00mm). My intention is to point out that the mounting panel uses a robust thickness material.

There are many different types of attachment hardware and designs that have been used w/ my mounts. After receiving requests for one stop shopping and system the aluminun puck or blocks are now being offered. They are placed on the top and bottom mount hoops pointing outward. The top bolts do need to be removed to take off the panniers. When a robust knob is sourced it will be added to the hardware kit.

The mounted width of the system is ~31" (78.7cm). A pic will be added to the site showing the system from a more direct rear view, as will the welds. The TIG welds are done by experienced welders familiar w/ using the gauge material used on these panniers. As previously mentioned, the cases are manufactured by a full-time metal working facility that also makes other designs of panniers. They are in business because they are excellent at what they do, and not to make some panniers today and then be gone tomorrow.

The tether uses stainless steel rivets and support washers. The lid seal width is approximately 1/2" (12.7mm). As noted above the width of the panniers is 8" (20cm), thus the opening width is ~7" (17.8cm).

The cost is as listed. A system package cost is under consideratiion.

Thanks,
Carl

Old 02-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #23
Carl OP

Thumb

OK, it is time to give a deal to the ADVrider community, donate to Mr Baldy and to also get a set of the new production panniers out in service.

Info on the pannier system can be found in this thread and also here

So, I'm offering the following:
  • One HD pannier mounting system
  • One pair of panniers
  • One set of mounting hardware (panniers to mounts)

The usual costs for the above noted system are:
  • $250 plus shipping, One HD pannier mounting system
  • $495 plus shipping, One pair of panniers
  • $60 plus shipping, One set of mounting hardware (panniers to mounts)

The deal price will be as follows:
  • $100, One HD pannier mounting system
  • $400, One pair of panniers
  • Free, One set of mounting hardware (panniers to mounts)
  • Plus shipping for the complete system. I might be able to get the complete system in one carton.
The $100 cost received for the mounts will be donated to Mr. Baldy's ADVrider site maintenance fees.

There are plenty of my mount systems out in the field, but this is the first production set of panniers to be offered. I'm interested in a rider w/ a LWB 70-84 twin to have fun and use the system. A complete system review of the installation and design would be appreciated. A rider that uses their machine for a daily commute or long trip is desired.

If interested, please contact me via direct email and not ADVrider PM's.

Thanks,
Carl

Carl screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 11:53 AM
Old 02-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #24
Carl OP

Thumb gone...

The ADVrider special package deal system is spoken for and gone. Thanks to all that inquired about it.

Carl

Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #25
Mr. B.
Climate Controlled

Oddometer: 143
Review of Carls' pannier system and mounts

I am the person that got the special inmate deal on panniers and mounts from Carl.
Let me say first, Thanks Carl! This is a very nice set of equipment.

I told Carl that I would give an honest appraisal of his system online once I
had them mounted and had a chance to use them.

I purchased a set of his heavy duty mounts a few months back to put on my R90/6.
I wanted them so that I could do away with the erector set type stock mounts I was
using with my Craven Golden Arrows. They were perfect for the intended use.
I also have an R80/7, that I was using Krauser bags on. My goal was to have a set of
quality touring bags that I could use with either bike, but not lose the ability to
use the Cravens when needed. This system met those needs.
I no longer need to change to different mounts when I change panniers.
The mounts fit both the /6 and /7 as they should.
I want to say that Carl has been great to work with. Always prompt and helpful when needed.

His customer service is second to none. If you need assistance or a spare part, he is on top of it.
He is determined that you will be completly happy with his product. Refreshing to say the least!

Lets start with the mounts.
The mounts were easy to install. With clear instructions, and a quality hardware package provided.
They are similar to what you see from Krauser, Hepco and Becker and BMW.
They attach to the same mounting points as the others, but that is where the similarities end.
The fit and finish on these mounts is excellent. They also fit to the outside of the shock
mount, not on the inside like the others. This provides more of a custom fit for the pannier.
They are also larger diameter tube and I believe stronger. The fit was excellent.
The mounts also include a crossbar to connect the 2 racks at the lower rear corner.
When mounted the system is rock solid.

The mounting hardware is well made and functions as it should. Easy to mount, remove and
is also rock solid. I havent had any problems with the bolts backing out or things rattling loose.
I just loosen the 4 bolts and off it comes, ready to remount. No need to remove any hardware.
I have never used a "puck" type system so I dont feel that I can make a fair comparison with other systems.

This is the first set of aluminum panniers that I have owned. They are a vast improvement
over the Krausers that I am used to. I dont feel that I can give a fair assesment of these without using
them for an extended period of time first. I can say that they appear to be made with quality
materials and well built. I also like the design.
I plan to update this thread periodically to include my experience with them.

Bottom line is that this is an excellent system. Carl is a great to work with, and cares that
you are satisfied with his product. I wouldnt hesitate to recomend his system to anyone
that is interested in it. I found it easy to install and so far.....nice to use.

Mr. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #26
Mr. B.
Climate Controlled

Oddometer: 143
Wow thats a big picture. Here is another

Mr. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #27
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,196
Carl, have you considered making aluminum panniers that can mount on Givi side racks? I'm running E21s on my Dakar and TDM for daily use but would like to be able to swap to aluminum pannier for longer trips. I'm guessing that there others out with Givi racks that might be interested as well.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #28
Carl OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Carl, have you considered making aluminum panniers that can mount on Givi side racks? I'm running E21s on my Dakar and TDM for daily use but would like to be able to swap to aluminum pannier for longer trips. I'm guessing that there others out with Givi racks that might be interested as well.

The aluminum panniers that I have available will fit on Givi side racks/mounts, except on possibly some of the new designs that Givi has available. They will also fit my mounts that accept the fitment of Givi Monokey cases.

There are users of my mounts that often use E21's for in-town riding/commuting and then switch to monster panners for longer trips.

I'll post more on this subject later today. A lot of info can be found here

Currently in process is a pair of asymmetrical panniers to fit single side high mounted exhaust machines.

Thanks,
Carl

Carl screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 11:54 AM
Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #29
Carl OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B. View Post

WOW! Thanks Mr. B for the kind words & pics.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #30
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
The aluminum panniers that I have available will fit on Givi side racks/mounts, except on possibly some of the new designs that Givi has available. They will also fit my mounts that accept the fitment of Givi Monokey cases.

There are users of my mounts that often use E21's for in-town riding/commuting and then switch to monster panners for longer trips.

I'll post more on this subject later today. A lot of info can be found here: http://www.flyingtpot.com/pannier_mo...7084_twins.htm

Currently in process is a pair of asymmetrical panniers to fit single side high mounted exhaust machines.

Thanks,
Carl
Thanks for the info, Carl. I'm very interested in these, would it be possible for you to post a pic showing the back side of the aluminum panniers with the Givi Monokey mounting hardware? A couple questions: Regarding box size, do you do other sizes besides 8"? Ideally I would like about 6" wide so they don't go wider than the handlebars on my F650GS as lane-splitting is essential here in crowded Japan. And do you anodize or powdercoat the interior to prevent the aluminum oxidation from rubbing off on pannier contents?
2006 Djebel 250XC

twinrider screwed with this post 03-03-2012 at 10:19 PM
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote