Oddometer: 2,051
Great RR Mark! Love the history.

John
Sourjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #17
mbabc OP
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,841
This days goal was to head northeast to the Blue Ridge Pkwy and make towards Danville, VA where Orange was a POW.

Breaking camp...

Ocoee dam...

Reliance, TN on the way to Tellico Plains...

When in Tellico you have to stop at Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters. Picked up a couple accessories and visited with some riders passing through.

Bear on the tricycle...

Also got directions for a nice gravel loop just to prove I'm not a complete poser. Bald River Rd. I believe...

Friendly locals helping with directions...

Wish I'd had more time to explore the area, but I'm on a quest. Spent a long weekend here several years ago at a KLR rally and I'll be back. After the gravel loop I gassed up and took the Cherohala over to Robbinsville, NC.

On the way to Cherokee, these guys were stopping everyone checking ID's...

I haven't been on the BRP in 25 years.

Met some cruiser riders down from Indy who snapped my pic. Traffic was pretty light and most seemed to be south bound.

Crabtree Falls was my destination for the night...

Just a few campers at Crabtree Falls campground...

I like to eat pretty simple when I travel, so here's the food pic...

316 miles today...

Day 4 was to continue up the BRP into Virginia and then over to Danville. Going to be a nice sunny day!

Beautiful road, gentle curve after curve...

On a detour off the Blue Ridge I started to see more & more dual sports. Seem I happended upon the ADV Eastern Rendezvous at Laurel Springs. Snapped a couple pics and I was on my way.

This nice couple were from Oklahoma on a Ducati tourer...

After crossing into Virginia I left the BRPW at the Meadows of Dan and took the slab east to Danville. During the Civil War, Danville was recommended by Robert E. Lee as good location for prisons to house Union soldiers. Danville was relatively isolated and had escaped many of the hardships experienced by other Virginians. Know for it's tobacco industry, there were 6 warehouses used for prisons. One still stands today...

As you might imagine, conditions in Civil War prisons, both north and south were at least intolerable, Danville was no exception.

A report from a Confederate officer;

“The prisons at this post are in a very bad condition, dirty, filled with vermin, little or no ventilation and there is an insufficiency of fireplaces …. It is a matter of surprise that the prisoners can exist in the close and crowded rooms, the gas from the coal rendering the air fetid and impure. [A single pot-bellied stove was installed on each floor of the building.] The prisoners have almost no clothing, no blankets, and a very small supply of fuel …. The mortality…about five per day, is caused, no doubt, by the insufficiency of food…and for the reasons…stated above. This state of things is truly horrible….”

From an article on the Danville prison;

During the fifteen months, between December 1863 and February 1865, that Danville housed Federal prisoners, brutally cold weather and sweltering heat exacerbated the suffering of the men. “Like starving dogs” the Northern men fought for pitiful food dumped on the dirt- and excrement-encrusted floors. They whittled down wooden warehouse rafters to the breaking point to obtain slivers of wood which they boiled to make “coffee.” They attempted to stomach “rat dung in the rice, pea bugs in the peas and worms in the cabbage soup.” They fought a smallpox epidemic, the scourge of scurvy, and the disgusting battle of diarrhea, worsened by the humiliation of restricted latrine privileges.

Orange Babcock's name first appeared on the prison role Dec. 1, 1863, and he went in and out of the hospital several times and was paroled from Danville on April 30, 1864.

Orange was discharged from the Army of the United States in August 1865 and returned to Youngsville to resume his life farming with wife Cathaline and 4 sons. They had one more son after the war and he lived to the age 58. His grave today still displays the marker of the GAR. The Grand Army of the Republic.

I still had quite a few miles to travel today as I turned west to start my ride back to Louisville. I dipped back down into North Carolina before crossing back into Virginia just north of Mt. Airy.

MapSource can't tell you about the bridge being out...

Tonight camp was at Grayson Highlands state park. Quite a few more campers tonight. Had to take an RV spot...

Big day today, 410 miles and another tomorrow as I come back full circle.

I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers

mbabc screwed with this post 06-12-2011 at 08:24 PM
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #18
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
i'm enjoying all of this very much
thank you
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #19
TooTallRacing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Hey Mark

This is Really Cool

TooTallRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #20
mbabc OP
Curmudgeon trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooTallRacing View Post
This is Really Cool
Hey Mike! We need to take a ride again soon, been awhile.

I'll finish this RR tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #21
TooTallRacing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
[QUOTE=mbabc;16158767]Hey Mike! We need to take a ride again soon, been awhile.

Sounds great, but it will have to wait awhile. I leave for Alaska on Monday.

TooTallRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #22
mbabc OP
Curmudgeon trainee

OK - Let's finish this report up.

All packed up and ready to head back west across southwest Virginia into Kentucky.

Beautiful roads...

Another fine day, at least the first half...

Saltville, VA. was one of the Confederacy's main saltworks. The salt was used to preserve meat for both civilians and soldiers and was attacked by the Union to take control of this valuable resource.

Rt. 80 was a good one...

Back home in Kentucky, but hours from Louisville...

Signs of another traveler...

Hindman, KY. Elk capital of the East...

Shortly after Knott county I ran into some bad storms and hail and had to take shelter under the overhang of an old country church. In Boonesville I noticed my front D606 was about gone. I'd run the knobs about clean off and that along with the steady rain I decided to chop the speed to about 40 and didn't stop for any more pictures.

Note to self... don't think your half worn knobbies can make it next time!

Rear looked fine. I usually get 2 fronts for every rear on my KLR???

Anyway, I called the Mrs. and told her a rescue mission might be in store if my tire blew. Told her she might have to bring the trail wing I had in the garage down to me, but I just kept it slow and steady and made it home fine.

In closing I'd say the wr did a fine job as a light adventure tourer. The Seat Concepts seat with sheepskin was fantastic. The last 2 days were each over 400 miles and were as comfortable I could expect. I also was very impressed with the Wolfman luggage setup. I just needed to pack a little more carefully and honestly I seem to over pack anyhow. The Cee Baileys wind screen knocked just enought wind off to make a big help. Total trip was 1661 miles with this day being 407. I was beat when I got home and forgot to take a final screen shot of my GPS.

As for connecting with the places that were such a big part of Orange's and Merritt's life so many years ago made me better realize how precious and tenuous life is. How our lives today are the results not only of the whims and chance occurances of the past, but also devine intervention. What if it were Orange instead of Merritt at Stones River? What if Orange hadn't gotten needed care in the Conferate hospital in Danville or made it out alive at Chickamauga? I've tried to count my many blessings and down play my few hardships and to remember those in my past who went through so much.

Life's too short folks and soon enough we'll be like those in the old tintype photos. Just vauge memories, but hopefully with some adventures to recall for those who come after us.

Ride safe!

mbabc screwed with this post 06-16-2011 at 02:59 PM
Old 06-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #23
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post

Note to self... don't think your half worn knobbies can make it next time!

Rear looked fine. I usually get 2 fronts for every rear on my KLR???
Wow! I've never seen such a thing!

Great report!

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #24
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
Fantastic report and great pictures!!! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Knobbies do weird things when they're run on pavement. Old Buddy Dave had the front tire on his old KLR start to separate along the edges of the tire during our "Appalachian Tour" in '98. We ended up trimming the side knobs so it wouldn't further split the carcass of the tire and he managed to limp on during the last two days.

The perfect dually tire doesn't exist (yet) but until it does knobbies are still the best solution if there's real off-road conditions on your route. Otherwise a set of street tires--or a second set of wheels with them already mounted--is a good alternative to have around for gravel and paved routes.

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #25
Rainshadow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Wow! Definitely one of the best RRs I've read on adv.

After growing up in NY/NJ the one thing I really miss living in the West is the history.

Thanks for taking us along on your mission!
Rainshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #26
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
Loved your recap and reflections on life's fragility...
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #27
RoadDad
n13ub

Oddometer: 418
Mark--I'm only 21 months late reading your report. Not bad for me. Its good to see the past bring so much importance to the present. We all have much to be thankful for. Great report.
RoadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:21 PM   #28
mbabc OP
Curmudgeon trainee

Thanks Jerry. Better late than never. Your one who inspired me to get the wr.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #29
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
This floated to the top of the ride reports. Having reached the end now discover it was a couple of years old... don't care whether you finished two days or two years ago. A great read about your part of the world and your attachment to it.

Thanks for posting!

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #30
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Dang Mark I don't know how I haven't come across this until now but what a nice story and pics! We sure do need to get some riding done soon!