ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2005, 09:46 PM   #1
El Duque OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Dr650 Or Dl650?

How do all?

I am new to the forum but have been lurking about for awhile. I am going to buy a duely - just a matter of time.

I confess - I am riding a crusier. It is serves a purpose but is limited by its off road capability - yeh right!

Anyway I am going to add to the collection, but debating the selection.

I don't plan on any serious off road stuff but like the idea, as i am sure ya'll do, of taking off on that dirt road here and there (with or without the wife) and at the same time riding home on the pavement to tell about it. I would like to do the 3-4 day camping thing as well.

at this pt I am narrowing it to the vstrom(more comfort more $) or the dr650(better off pavement, less $).

Any thoughts - Let me have it.

thanks
el d.
El Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 10:09 PM   #2
dr650bc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Welcome,

I had a dr650 and loved it for the light weight and torquey motor. Although I did a lot of highway miles with it, it was out of it's element at 70 mph and higher. It would top out at just over 100 but the passing performance above 70 was mediocre. The V-Strom (I have a 1000) is very powerful and surprisingly good on dirt roads. The comfort level is much better than the DR650 so the long highway trips are great. Further, the V-Stroms have some of the best passenger seating in the motorcycle world. With a thumper, you'll be looking to trade up in a couple of years.
here a couple links where you can take a v-strom.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47146
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55503
dr650bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 10:20 PM   #3
not2fast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
I have a DR650 and a DL1000 so I think I can offer some advice here. First, the DR650 is a good dual sport bike. What that means is you can legally ride it to an area where you can go have fun in the dirt and mud, then ride it back home. For me its a 50 mile commute one way to get to off road riding places and the DR handles this just fine. In stock form the DR can be used on wider woods trails and old logging roads, provided you put some decent rubber on it. Its on the heavy side but no worse than a XR650L and better than a stock KLR. The standard seat is not the best for long distances or with a passenger and the engine does have some vibrations that are noticeable on longer rides.

The DL is a hands down winner if you want to do really long rides, especially with a passenger. There's enough room for both of you to ride in comfort and the engine has the hp to handle the load. What you can't do well is take it on trails like the DR can handle. I have ridden mine on dirt roads without too much trouble but have avoided places where the road gets deeply rutted, or has lots of big rocks or deep mud. The bottom end of the DL motor has the oil filter and oil cooler exposed to the elements so you have to keep that in mind when taking it over rougher terrain. A skid plate is available if you want to get more daring. The DL's footpegs, brake pedal and shifter should be upgraded for serious offroading.

I bought the DL first and then got a used DR650 for the more technical off road adventures. I like both bikes a lot, but if I had to downsize to just one, the DL would stay.

Hope this helps.
Terry
02 DL1000
99 DR650
Old 02-20-2005, 07:59 PM   #4
El Duque OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Would the 650 v strom have enough power with a passenger? Lighter would be better off pavement no?

Thanks for your comments
Old 02-20-2005, 08:29 PM   #5
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duque
Would the 650 v strom have enough power with a passenger? Lighter would be better off pavement no?
How much power is "enough" power - though I have a DL-1000, by all reports the DL650 is just fine functionally with a passenger.

What is your idea of "off pavement"? On dirt ROADS a V-Strom is a fine bike, but they are pretty useless on actual trail (exploits of people like Burren Rider notwithstanding).

Practicality (for a road bike that is comfortable on dirt roads) points to the DL-650. The DL-1000 has a luxury of power if you want it. For sport handling on pavement, or for dirt roads, incrementally lighter is incrementally better - but what was the decision or Q again???
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 05:52 PM   #6
El Duque OP
Gnarly Adventurer

i goin with the 650. thanks

bob
Old 02-21-2005, 10:00 PM   #7
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,312
lighter is better in dirt, 650V strom has plenty of power for 2 up, if your coming off the average cruiser, it will do well, you can rev it far more then a cruiser, if you want to go over north cascade highway, 2 up at 90mph, get the 1000. try to pinch a ride on 'em. doing single track, get the DR

Quote:

Thanks for your comments
Old 02-22-2005, 04:18 AM   #8
El Duque OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Is this thing (dl ) gonna start everytime i.e. when I am way the f. from cell towers and warm buildings?

Now the question is should I sell the crusier I bought that cost more, is worth less, not all that comfortable so far, and is going to be expensive to maintain and accesorize. I would take a 1k loss right now (bought it new), but come out 1k ahead if I get the deal I want on the 650. That is if I can sell it outright.

For that matter any new bike would be eating at least that - trade in is way off the mark.

The crusier is nice for loping along back roads, riding lo and looking good, but doesn't get me away from traffic and lots of humans in cages.

Is this called DMCD delayed motorcycle choice disorder?

El Duque screwed with this post 02-22-2005 at 08:17 AM
Old 02-22-2005, 06:13 AM   #9
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,198
Quote:
Is this thing (dl ) gonna start everytime i.e. when I am way the f. from cell towers and warm buildings?

Now the question is should I sell the crusier I bought that cost more, is worth less, not all that comfortable so far, and is going to be expensive to maintain and accesorize. I would take a 1k loss right now (bought it new), but come out 1k ahead. That is if I can sell it outright.

For that matter any new bike would be eating at least that - trade in is way off the mark.

The crusier is nice for loping along back roads and riding lo and looking good, but doesn't get me away from traffic and lots of humans in cages.

Is this called DMCD delayed motorcycle choice disorder?
Based on most of your questions it seems you are in need of a demo ride.

The DL 650 has the engine from the SV 650, with some tweaks to make it stronger in the midrange. The engine has proven to be bulletproof and reliable over the years, requiring a minimum of service. I don't think you'll find anything more reliable out there.

I have a DL 650. It was a replacement for my 1150 GS, which I decided was too heavy for me off road and just didn't fit me very well. The DL 650 is fantastic. It will run as fast as I want to go with or without a passenger, although an uphill pass at 90 with a passenger is going to work it fairly hard. It won't hurt it, but recognize at that point that you won't have blinding acceleration. It is a trade off for the better mileage and lighter weight of the 650 compared to it's 1000 cc bigger brother.

If you do a search in this forum you'll find many posts comparing both V-Stroms to all kinds of other bikes, as well as each other. Some people are happier with the 1000, some are happier with the 650. Some thought they wanted the 1000 until they rode the 650. I was one of those. But regardless of CC's, everyone seems to be happy with the V-Strom. I haven't seen anyone say that they regret the purchase. A truly fantastic bike once you get past it's questionable looks.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 11:30 AM   #10
Jedimoto
V-Strom, Bike of the Jedi

Oddometer: 104
I rode a DR650 for almost a year.
It was stolen, so now I ride a V-Strom DL650.

Which would I buy again?

V-Strom.

The DR is great off road, but on the highway for more than about 30 minutes becomes uncomfortable at best. And If you ever want to take a passenger, it starts to feel really cramped in a short time.

The DL, however, is a blast to ride on the highway and though I haven't taken off the tarmac yet, I think it'll do just fine. Fire roads, Forest Service Access roads and crappy, dirt roads won't be a problem for it.

If you oplan on 40-50% or more of your time being off road, get the DR.
If you plan on only spending 30-40% or less off road, get the V-Strom.

I think the V-Strom 650 is one of the funnest, best balanced bikes out there of damn near anything.