Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #1606
Ghostyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Only if nobody's in front of HIM
Yeah, thus the "wide open road in front of him" part you quoted.

Seriously simple: don't be the guy who holds up the left lane. Don't talk about "right to be there" or "law", just be a decent person and don't inconvenience other people more than necessary.
Ghostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #1607
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post

I do not feel even a little like I should have to slow down and move right so somebody can pass me doing 100.

After reading the following, I can understand your confusion...

Quite the legislative clusterfuck in the Lone Star State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_l...d_States#Texas

You'd best avoid riding on the Autobahn.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame

DOGSROOT screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 07:16 PM
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #1608
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostyman View Post
Yeah, thus the "wide open road in front of him" part you quoted.

Seriously simple: don't be the guy who holds up the left lane. Don't talk about "right to be there" or "law", just be a decent person and don't inconvenience other people more than necessary.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #1609
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Still commuting with a cage, but still think this fits... almost got into FOUR accidents on the way to work today. Most due to inattentive / bad drivers.

Left turn on surface streets. Dedicated left turn arrow. Turn lanes get the green. Someone across the way going straight jumps the gun, floors it through his red light, and creams the passenger side of the truck in front of me. 2 miles later, different truck in front of me rear ends the jeep in front of him (who stopped for no reason). Didn't touch his brakes once. I had to swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid him / debris... then I had the highway part of my commute. Trailer alongside me gets BAD sway at about 75 mph. Swerves into my lane. Glad I have a turbo. Get off the highway, going the last 2 miles of my commute. Rolling road block in front of me (2 cars side-by-side doing exactly the limit). Scottsdale photo radar van on the side of the road. Guy in front of me decided the speed limit was too fast. Locked up his brakes slowing down. I swerve to avoid.

I hate people.
cab591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #1610
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quick clarification:

Nobody has the "right" to be anywhere on a public road while operating a motor vehicle. What we all have is the privilege to operate our vehicles on public roads so long as we follow the regulations, and meet the responsibilities, that every damned one of us agreed to when we signed our licenses.

Just because you won't get ticketed for being a motorized fucktard doesn't mean that you should make the effort to be one.

k-moe screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 11:38 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #1611
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
Doesn't matter. Move over dick. Nobody is passing you on the right because they CAN'T pass you on the right.

My morning commute is a 55 zone with no patrols, ever. I've moved over to let people pass while showing 90 on the speedo. You'll get one guy camped out doing 70 in the passing lane while traffic weaves through to the right at 80-90 narrowly avoiding the slower moving traffic at 65 or less in the middle or right lanes. On my bike around here i flat out refuse to go anywhere near the speed limit because its so fucking dangerous to.
You're not paying attention. If I COULD move over to the right a lane, I would. I'm not about to hit the brakes to scrub 10 mph to make it possible when somebody is already behind me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
After reading the following, I can understand your confusion...

Quite the legislative clusterfuck in the Lone Star State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_l...d_States#Texas

You'd best avoid riding on the Autobahn.
1) Do you know the rules on the Autobahn?
2) Don't even get me started on how much Texas sucks.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #1612
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,397
Quote:
I miss the Autobahn so much. I never quite feel safe riding on American highways. However, I rode countless miles of autobahn in the crappiest of conditions and never once felt unsafe. They still know how to drive over there, and they respect the rules of the road.

It also helps that if you get rear-ended in the left lane of the autobahn, it is YOUR fault for going too slow in the left lane. Get in the left lane, pass quickly, and then get the hell back over. Germans understand this concept well.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #1613
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I miss the Autobahn so much. I never quite feel safe riding on American highways. However, I rode countless miles of autobahn in the crappiest of conditions and never once felt unsafe. They still know how to drive over there, and they respect the rules of the road.

It also helps that if you get rear-ended in the left lane of the autobahn, it is YOUR fault for going too slow in the left lane. Get in the left lane, pass quickly, and then get the hell back over. Germans understand this concept well.
And if you are continuously passing car after car?
Old 07-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #1614
1ar
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
And if you are continuously passing car after car?
So? If there is somebody who can (or need) to drive faster, you just let him pass. You drop your speed 10 mph (or 16 km/h) for several seconds, then get back into passing lane. The faster ones will be long gone by then. You "loose" couple of seconds, so the others don't have to.

That's why it works in Germany - people understand that when they follow the rules, it is better for EVERYONE (including them).
1ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #1615
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 769
Quote:

1) Yes.

Get the hell out of the way of faster traffic.

Immediately.

Spent many years driving/riding on the Autobahn.

My German friends were confident in my driving on road trips.

However, when we would cross over into France and Italy

(even though I had WAY more driving experience there)

they would be appalled at my sudden "insanity" behind the wheel and take over.

They then proceeded to drive like Germans, swearing mightily at the "crazy" natives.

After a day do so we would start drinking and driving:

they drank, I drove.

2) I just crossed the Panhandle once.

Liked the few folks I met.

Traffic was a breeze.

Obviously a limited experience.

I didn't mean to disrespect Texas; just express that the speed limit laws are Byzantine.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame

DOGSROOT screwed with this post 07-19-2013 at 07:34 AM
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #1616
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ar View Post
So? If there is somebody who can (or need) to drive faster, you just let him pass. You drop your speed 10 mph (or 16 km/h) for several seconds, then get back into passing lane. The faster ones will be long gone by then. You "loose" couple of seconds, so the others don't have to.

That's why it works in Germany - people understand that when they follow the rules, it is better for EVERYONE (including them).
The rules? Lol. At this point, I'm already breaking the rules by 20mph. The dick in the F250 trying to do 100 can wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
1) Yes.

Get the hell out of the way of faster traffic.

Immediately.

Spent many years driving/riding on the Autobahn.

My German friends were confident in my driving on road trips.

However, when we would cross over into France and Italy

(even though I had WAY more driving experience there)

they would be appalled at my sudden "insanity" behind the wheel and take over.

They then proceeded to drive like Germans, swearing mightily at the "crazy" natives.

After a day do so we would start drinking and driving:

they drank, I drove.

2) I just crossed the Panhandle once.

Liked the few folks I met.

Traffic was a breeze.

Obviously a limited experience.

I didn't mean to disrespect Texas; just express that the speed limit laws are Byzantine.
1) If I drove the autobahn, I'd probably do it. The roads I'm talking about are not open spaces. They are metro roads. If you leave a car length plus 1 foot in front of you, someone will slide into it. Moving to the right, for any reason, involves a slowdown, and forcing your way in.

2) yeah, panhandle I'd probably like. Fuck Dallas.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:51 AM   #1617
1ar
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
The rules? Lol. At this point, I'm already breaking the rules by 20mph. The dick in the F250 trying to do 100 can wait.
Why do you think it's your call to decide how far rules can be broken? And how do you know that the other guy is "the dick"? Anyway, it's just typical "I'm more important/bigger/smarter/faster than you" way of thinking. It leads to... Well, there is no question where is higher standard of driving and safety on the road.
1ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #1618
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Why do you think it's your call to decide how far rules can be broken? And how do you know that the other guy is "the dick"? Anyway, it's just typical "I'm more important/bigger/smarter/faster than you" way of thinking. It leads to... Well, there is no question where is higher standard of driving and safety on the road.
Yes, it is my call. How do I know he's a dick? He's driving a dually pickup 100mph through dense traffic. He's a dick.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #1619
ChaoSS402
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
It's not an issue of making that determination, it's realizing that if everyone were to move right one lane to let the one faster person pass them all, it would slow that lane down by 20 mph and cost a lot of people a lot of time.

Some people just don't seem to have much experience driving in really heavy traffic.
ChaoSS402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #1620
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
Yes, it is my call. How do I know he's a dick? He's driving a dually pickup 100mph through dense traffic. He's a dick.
He can't help it that he is better aware of his vehicles capabilities and limitations then you, and thus is better equipped to handle such a case.

You're the dick for playing officer in the left lane.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote