Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #1621
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS402 View Post
It's not an issue of making that determination, it's realizing that if everyone were to move right one lane to let the one faster person pass them all, it would slow that lane down by 20 mph and cost a lot of people a lot of time.

Some people just don't seem to have much experience driving in really heavy traffic.
Bingo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlemdog View Post
He can't help it that he is better aware of his vehicles capabilities and limitations then you, and thus is better equipped to handle such a case.

You're the dick for playing officer in the left lane.
Nope, nope. I'm a dick, sure. I know that already. There is no way in hell that those morons are aware of anything.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #1622
1ar
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
It's not an issue of making that determination, it's realizing that if everyone were to move right one lane to let the one faster person pass them all, it would slow that lane down by 20 mph and cost a lot of people a lot of time.

Some people just don't seem to have much experience driving in really heavy traffic.
Yet it works very well in Germany. Sure, there is no "really heavy traffic" there. And yes, some people will never get it. So they have to be restricted with speed limits - to protect them from themselves. Anyway, I see no point in further discussion.
1ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #1623
Prettyboy
BFLB

Oddometer: 493
Quote:

None of this really applies that much in heavy traffic, from my experience. Then again, I grew up outside of D.C., so my idea of traffic is 8 lanes of standstill every single morning. We didn't have 20mph to slow down, or we would be going backwards.
Prettyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #1624
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
2) Don't even get me started on how much Texas sucks.
Three options for you, there:
1) Move.
2) Quit whining.
3) Enjoy a reputation as the whiner who wouldn't do anything about it.

Choosing a ride is much too personal to be left entirely to comparisons of spec sheets.
WDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #1625
WDG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
...Get the hell out of the way of faster traffic...
^^^THIS!

My primary rule for driving is "Stay the hell out of other people's way." Be it for speed or for other reasons, if more folks drove by this one simple rule, there would be a LOT less nonsense and mayhem on the roads.

Choosing a ride is much too personal to be left entirely to comparisons of spec sheets.
WDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #1626
UnsureFooting
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeps View Post
None of this really applies that much in heavy traffic, from my experience. Then again, I grew up outside of D.C., so my idea of traffic is 8 lanes of standstill every single morning. We didn't have 20mph to slow down, or we would be going backwards.
Four lanes, any where from stopped to 80+, and left exits are popular. None of these "rules" apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDG View Post
Three options for you, there:
1) Move.
2) Quit whining.
3) Enjoy a reputation as the whiner who wouldn't do anything about it.
1) I plan on it. Even the natives think this place is fucked.
2) GFY.
3) GFY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDG View Post
^^^THIS!

My primary rule for driving is "Stay the hell out of other people's way." Be it for speed or for other reasons, if more folks drove by this one simple rule, there would be a LOT less nonsense and mayhem on the roads.
Come to Dallas. Drive in rush hour, let me know how that goes.
UnsureFooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #1627
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ar View Post
Yet it works very well in Germany. Sure, there is no "really heavy traffic" there. //////n.
those "20 kilometer Stau" warnings on the radio don't qualify as "heavy traffic?"

I've seen people sitting on the hood of their cars having a picnic.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #1628
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,613
Quote:
Yet it works very well in Germany. Sure, there is no "really heavy traffic" there.
Must not have ever been to the NRW....
Old 07-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #1629
IrishJohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Yet it works very well in Germany. Sure, there is no "really heavy traffic" there. And yes, some people will never get it. So they have to be restricted with speed limits - to protect them from themselves. Anyway, I see no point in further discussion.
I drove 18 wheelers in Germany 25 years ago and I can assure you that even back then there was 'really heavy traffic' On a visit back a few years ago there were even more vehicles on the autobahn so if anything it SHOULD have become worse. However - people in Europe generally understand that the passing lanes are exactly that. You literally could solve at least %80 percent of traffic gridlock in the USA if people were not so hung up on their 'individual freedom' to hog the lanes. If you are going slow why in hell do you think you are entitled to hijack everyone else's progress?
Old 07-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #1630
Sp4Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Yet it works very well in Germany. Sure, there is no "really heavy traffic" there.

Germany has spent millions to figure out why they have miles of dead stopped traffic.

I really wish I had a bike when I was there.
Sp4Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #1631
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,531
Pissed mini-van of death

We were following a green Dodge Caravan on the 4th, and it proceeded to slow to 40 in a 55 and drift in to the oncoming lane of a two-lane highway. Two cars had to literally drive off the road to miss a head-on.

I called 911 and reported a drunk driver with vehicle description and tag #.
We followed until it was stopped, and went around a block to see what the situation was.

Turns out it was a 60+ old lady, talking on the phone. The cop had told her to return to her car and proceed by the time we went around the block.
How in the hell is the situation going to improve if these people aren't prosecuted.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #1632
ChaoSS402
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJohn View Post
You literally could solve at least %80 percent of traffic gridlock in the USA if people were not so hung up on their 'individual freedom' to hog the lanes. If you are going slow why in hell do you think you are entitled to hijack everyone else's progress?
It's not just left lane drivers, it's tons of people who just feel that they must pick a lane and stick to it. Not long ago I was on a stretch of road with 4 lanes, doing about 65, with very little traffic around. I was catching up to a semi (I was in the far right lane) so I moved over to the number 3 lane. There was a car coming up behind me in that lane, with no one in the number 1 and 2 lanes for at least a mile behind us. So this car catches up to me before I pass the semi, and just tailgates me until I get back to the right hand lane. Just sits there, 5 feet off my ass, rather than move over one lane.

And it's a regular occurrence to be riding down a 2 lane stretch and see bumper to bumper traffic in the left hand land and nothing but clear freeway on the right.
ChaoSS402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #1633
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
My wife passed a woman today driving on the highway with an ebook propped on her steering wheel.
I've passed people eating BOWLS OF CEREAL. Yes, you read that correctly, a fucking bowl of cereal with milk using a spoon...

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #1634
EddMc
are we there yet

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
I've passed people eating BOWLS OF CEREAL. Yes, you read that correctly, a fucking bowl of cereal with milk using a spoon...
This reminds me of high school, I used to get a ride from a neighbor before I had my licence he would drive and eat and I would steer and shift from the passenger seat.

All of this talk of left lane driving reminded me of last time I was in Portland in my 3/4 ton diesel with a large steel front bumper, I was on I84 going about 65 in the left lane in moderate traffic when a HD comes on to the freeway and proceeds to cuts all the way over to the left lane cutting me off with about 2 feet to spare. Then he proceeds to go 60 with no one in front of him and my truck 2 feet off his rear tire. My wife tells me to "back off before I run him over", I just said replied " hey, he is the one who felt it was same to put himself there in the first place". And the I backed off slowly.

2007 R1200GS
1997 XR400R
EddMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #1635
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post

Huh.

So what?

I regularly eat a bowl of holy shit snacks w/ a nice glass of OJ whilst reading the paper.

And that's on my S100RR.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote