Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #1801
cab591
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Like I said before, my cage is invisible enough that I think my stories are relevant. Driving on the 101 today in traffic. I'm doing about 80-85, the lanes to my left and right are doing about 70-75. 4runner to my left starts to merge on top of me. I honk, he freaks out and goes back in his lane. Then he decides to become homocidal and quickly swerves at me. I slam my brakes, and swerve left (into the lane he's exiting). He tries again. I start to go right. He swerves right to cut me off again. I, meanwhile, had already dropped it into 4th, and was waiting with the clutch depressed. Floor it, drop the clutch. Turbo spools and I shoot past him. He flips me off and tries to hit me again, swerving back left (now behind me). I lose it for a sec, brake check him, then take off again. Shoot through a gap in traffic and hop off onto the 202.

Normally I don't respond (just avoid and leave), but it hasn't been a great day.
cab591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #1802
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,089
I rode to work today. Nothing bad happened. It was strange
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:48 AM   #1803
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,216
Left work and set out to grab the NC tag Thursday afternoon before heading home. I'm riding a back road on a military training reservation with a fair amount of oncoming traffic. I see a snake in the road up ahead. I can't swing around him because of oncoming traffic. No big deal, he's probably going to get across before I get to him, right? Wrong.

I scoot as far left in the lane as I can go. I didn't hit him, but he did turn around and attempt to strike my bike. Note to self, stay the heck away from snakes when riding. I had no way of identifying him at that speed, but from the size I would say he was not venomous. Nevertheless, I now know that a snake will strike at a speeding motorcycle.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 08-17-2013, 05:05 AM   #1804
GordoS
Pawn in game of life

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post

Nevertheless, I now know that a snake will strike at a speeding motorcycle.
They'll also go after mountain bikers...especially the second rider if the first rider accidentally runs over their tail...
Old 08-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #1805
Cruisin'Carolina
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Left work and set out to grab the NC tag Thursday afternoon before heading home. I'm riding a back road on a military training reservation with a fair amount of oncoming traffic. I see a snake in the road up ahead. I can't swing around him because of oncoming traffic. No big deal, he's probably going to get across before I get to him, right? Wrong.

I scoot as far left in the lane as I can go. I didn't hit him, but he did turn around and attempt to strike my bike. Note to self, stay the heck away from snakes when riding. I had no way of identifying him at that speed, but from the size I would say he was not venomous. Nevertheless, I now know that a snake will strike at a speeding motorcycle.

2 snake experiences in the last month. Yes, they do sucketh.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post21806265
Cruisin'Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #1806
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,216
Yeah, the snakes are out to get us in NC this year. I've seen more this summer than ever before, and I've been gone for most of it.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #1807
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Okay, just one more on the merging from two lanes to one Today coming in to work there was construction on the right two lanes of a four lane divided road, so everyone eventually had to get over to the one open lane. But, instead of everyone moving to the one open lane immediately, they were actually doing the zipper! It was a thing of beauty But wait, all was not right. There was one car in the soon to end lane who just wasn't getting over, there was room left for her to merge to the open lane, but she just wasn't having it. Finally, she gets to where the orange barrels close her lane off and she slams her brakes on and is sitting in both lanes with no idea of what to do next. So, the zipper does work but only if all involved are actually focused on what they are doing.
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #1808
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
Last week on the way home from work, a cruiser rider was first in line at a light. Not a long traffic light, but he pulls out his phone and fiddles with it. Light turns green. Mini-van behind him gives a quick toot of the horn as he is still on his phone. He reacts quickly, muscle memory has him pull the clutch and put the bike in gear and takes off. A second later, he looks down at his lap, and I can kind of see the look of him processing, "Crap, I dropped my phone. Too late now."

Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #1809
DR Donk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:

I had a similar incident happen years ago. I was on my Honda 900F, that tells you how long ago it was, out on some country roads. I was at the top of a small hill and at the bottom I could see a 5-6' piece of rubber in the road. But it wasn't what I thought it was, it was a blue racer snake! By the time I realized it, I was just about upon it, so the only thing I could think of was swerve and lift my leg in case he lunged at me.
DR Donk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #1810
operose
Mama tried

Oddometer: 410
There are two colleges in my small town, and all the students just came back.

That means near-death-experiences on two commutes so far this week. I'd stop drinking if I could get access to shots of adrenaline like that at the gas station!!!!!!!!
operose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #1811
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 487
I have the same problem in coastal San Diego with seasonal drivers, but instead its tourists. Loads and loads of tourists gawking, turning suddenly and driving drunk. I can't wait for summer to be over and there's sanity on my commutes again. I rode my bike into Ocean Beach this am for work to handle the traffic/parking issues in the way only a motorcycle can, and it was chock a block already at 9:15 am.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #1812
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post
Let's bring it back to the commuting stories.
You first

M
Old 08-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #1813
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 487
This was my third on this thread. I commute almost every day I work.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #1814
rat110
Has a Zombie House

Oddometer: 488
2 lane road, at a set of traffic lights. We had the red and the cross road had green. Me and the guy next to me were watching this tradie juggle driving around a corner, the phone, paperwork and a cigarette. He was having a really hard time doing more than 5km/h and staying in his lane. We were both watching him weave up the road. We didn't notice our light had gone green and the car behind gave the horn a tap. The car next to me floored it (old Holden Commodore - Buick 3800cc V6) and I took off too. I short shifted up to 3rd to settle at the speed limit, but the Commodore was flat out to 100km/h (70 zone)
Poor sod must have though we were drag racing and my bike was pinned, because at the next lights we stopped and he lent out his window and yelled "I smoked you man!! I fucking smoked you!!!"
I just nodded and gave him the thumbs up. I let him have his victory.

Now, I see this guy nearly every day, and hopefully one day I will line up next to him at the lights again. I'll give it a rev, and when the lights go green I'll get him go in front. Then I'll pin it and deflate that fucks ego

Did I tell you the time I had a full size garbage bin bound up the road towards me??
Old 08-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #1815
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,440
Pretty boring today.

...but the one thing that really makes me go 'hmmm?! WTF are you thinking?!' are the people that dive into exits at the end of the off-ramps.

...they move the exit on you?

I get that you're MUCH much more important than the rest of us, so no, we don't mind jamming on the brakes for you, your highness

M