Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2013, 12:09 AM   #1816
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,735
Gummee, I usually commute in a WRX and when someone passes me and pulls in, I sometimes just pull out, accelerate past them, and pull back in again - doing to them just what they did to me. And they almost always go bugfuck.

Yesterday, pulled out onto a two lane road that heads to Rt 3 in Bedford, MA at rush hour. I was behind some slow moving traffic lined up to get on the highway.

A little bit later I hear the blast of a horn and a BMW X3 (I know - shocker) blasts his horn and swerves around us into the left-hand lane. And as he passes me with about two feet to spare, I look over and he is STILL fumbling with his phone. Pretty scary.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:36 AM   #1817
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
My commute was boring yesterday.

Had a great ride home though. took the scenic route and had a beautiful ride, and thanks to Harley dude who warned me about the Virginia State Patrol that was up ahead, hope I can pay back the favor one day..
Navy Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:09 AM   #1818
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Gummee, I usually commute in a WRX and when someone passes me and pulls in, I sometimes just pull out, accelerate past them, and pull back in again - doing to them just what they did to me. And they almost always go bugfuck.
I see that too. Do to them what they do to you (not that I do, but I've seen it happen) and they go batshit crazy.

Makes ya wonder WTF they're thinking. If you don't like having it done to you, what makes you think anyone else does?!

M
Old 08-30-2013, 12:50 AM   #1819
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,321
on the way home made an ill advised right turn coming off a fast lane change. essentially i almost missed my street, overran it a bit, and ended up in the oncoming lane, heading for the corner OPPOSITE of the turning corner

a guy had just come 'round the corner and entered the street near me, but didn't see me coming as i was just behind him. came to a stop right behind the guy, near the curb cuz it was the safest thing to do as a car coming toward me went around

guy turned and looked at me surprised, as i came out of nowhere. i thought "what you looking at, dude?"

then i realized motorbikes usually don't follow people in crosswalks

DudeClone screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 12:55 AM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #1820
SableAble
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Editting documents while driving I95 on Fri Labor Day Weekend!

Road beside a guy in a Dodge Caliber who was reading and editting a paper document of about 7 or 8 pages. He had it propped on his steering wheel, was writing changes on it, and going slow in front of an 18 wheeler. This is at 1630 on Fri. on Labor Day weekend on I95 just south of DC. Average speed was about 40 mph.

Holy crap. Talk about distracted driving.
SableAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:54 PM   #1821
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by SableAble View Post
Road beside a guy in a Dodge Caliber who was reading and editting a paper document of about 7 or 8 pages. He had it propped on his steering wheel, was writing changes on it, and going slow in front of an 18 wheeler. This is at 1630 on Fri. on Labor Day weekend on I95 just south of DC. Average speed was about 40 mph.

Masters degree or doctorate student?

They're often strange, and often drive like shit anyway.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:25 AM   #1822
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by SableAble View Post

It's for moments like that I have airhorns on my GS
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #1823
Sniperx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Ok I'm new to the whole motorcycle game so, maybe this is normal.

I'm pulling up to a 4 way stop near my house. I'm about 100 feet off and a BMW e36 (90s 3 series) pulls up the crosswalk in my right hand cross traffic. He sits here until I pull up to my stop. We stare at each other a second. I know if we were at the same time the right hand driver goes...these boys in this neighborhood don't look the type to follow that particular detail. I wave them on and they reluctantly go. I cross as normal. I see them a bit ahead slowing down to my pace. I see it and start to slow maintaining my space. They pull over into the center island turn area and slow below my pace. I keep dropping my speed until I'm just about to tip over. They keep slowing. Finally, at about 25-30 feet I say I've had enough and grab a handful of brake and drop my foot. We sit there a moment and one chollito sticks his head and looks back at me. No real specific look on his face. Another moment and they floor off and I resume. They do a u turn in the middle of the road and throttle back the other way.

Could have been to say, " cool bike" or to whack me with dooHr and steal my GS...shoot me, run me off the road or say, "wanna race?". In any case I stick by my choice. If they think I'm an asshle gringo...f em...talk to me at a red light, not doing weird shit in the middle of the road. In this particular area and considering the nature of the occupants...I'll play it safe.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #1824
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 484
Motorcycles seem to get attention from these guys, I've had similar experiences in some of the rougher neighborhoods here in San Diego. Staring, the slow car thing, etc.

It could be that you were on beemer as well, those always get noticed more than a normal bike and are perceived to be more valuable and a good target.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #1825
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,530
Had a good one this morning.
Coming up to a red light in the left lane I start slowing long before the intersection. An auto parts company truck driven by the youngish gofer tears around me on the right, just to cut back infront of me at the light.
"Asshole" might have been muttered in the helmet.
Light turns green and the SOB chirps the pickups tires making an unindicated left turn, cutting off a car in the oncoming lane. Quite the douche move.
Well doesn't the tailgate pop open, and a couple cases come falling out.
WTF.
Throw the bike on the stand, kid is long gone and not coming back, so I go to move the boxes out of the intersection.
Rotella T6 full synth, 10w40. Thanks for the free case of oil numbnut.

SCORE!
Debating whether I should phone the company and tell them about my luck, heh.

Sent from my 'Droid using Boogerhook
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #1826
Reduxalicious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Oh man, Taking I-45 to Downtown Houston, Do I have some stories.. Though I have to ask, Does anyone else get the CONSTANT wave of cagers that seem to do 5 below what everyone else is doing in the far left lane, ONLY to speed WAY UP as soon as you go to pass them, That's something that just--it pisses me off to no end.
Reduxalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #1827
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Quote:
the tailgate pop open, and a couple cases come falling out.
WTF.
Throw the bike on the stand, kid is long gone and not coming back, so I go to move the boxes out of the intersection.

SCORE!
Debating whether I should phone the company and tell them about my luck, heh.
First complain about the dangerous driving. Then ask if they want a different driver to come to your place to pick up the oil that fell out of their company truck. You decide how much to give back to them, minus a suitable commission for your trouble.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #1828
SnowMule
[angry moth noises]

Oddometer: 17,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
Well doesn't the tailgate pop open, and a couple cases come falling out.
WTF.

SCORE!
Ugh... BTDT.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #1829
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,061
Got surrounded in DC today by the "Million Mask March" I had to wait half an hour until they moved past. It was interesting to see college students all wearing masks and protesting the government!

Several of them asked me to join them and a few told me they liked my bike!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #1830
Tip Over
Whoopsie!

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduxalicious View Post
Oh man, Taking I-45 to Downtown Houston, Do I have some stories.. Though I have to ask, Does anyone else get the CONSTANT wave of cagers that seem to do 5 below what everyone else is doing in the far left lane, ONLY to speed WAY UP as soon as you go to pass them, That's something that just--it pisses me off to no end.
Middle lane for us in Florida. They'll pace right off your rear quarter, so you can't move over, even if you put your blinker on.
Tip Over is offline   Reply With Quote